Stop whining i owned the Arrive and the Lumia 900

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
They are true for the most part, plus I don't think an app created with an iPhone 4S in mind would run smoothly on an iPhone 3GS. The only reason apps wouldn't run is if they use native code which will be in some games.

LOL, they are true for the most part? So yo admit that for some parts they are not? :)

Again, it's not just native code apps. The new WP8 SDK provides new APIs and improvements for the developers that are not available in WP 7.x. And you will see this in the apps, trust me. Skype is one example and you will see lots more.

The iPhone 3GS was released in 2009. Hardly comparable to the 2012 Lumia. Still, the point stands - you can run the apps. Performance might be an issue in some games, but that's to be expected with a phone that is as old as the 3GS.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
They are true for the most part, plus I don't think an app created with an iPhone 4S in mind would run smoothly on an iPhone 3GS. The only reason apps wouldn't run is if they use native code which will be in some games.

I love your passion to defend the OS and appreciate it. However comparing a 3GS (3 year old model) with 4S apps?!

"iPhone 4 will be able to run iPhone 4S apps but won't have SIRI" - would compare better.
Nokia Lumia 610, 710, 800, 900, HTC Titan 1 and 2 - all are iPhone 4 here and WP8 is iPhone 4S/ iPhone 5 - and now your statement won't stand true.

Also the statement that native code will be "only some games" still doesn't change official MSFT line - "Windows Phone 8 apps won't run on WP7.5"

By making all WP7 guys to forcefully move to WP7.5 they have essentially killed off "iPhone 3GS" already. They can't use marketplace because they are not on Mango. Surely iPhone 3GS guys are still able to use marketplace..

I love this OS and platform and will always do because of my loyalty to WM5.0 onwards. But, if things are not ideal and why are we all ashamed to accept it and go all defensive on this? Yes we have drawbacks, lets accept it and let WP8 do the talking!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Well said rocketstarzzz. Comparing the the 3GS and changing charging ports to the WP7/7.5 transition is apples to oranges, no pun intended.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Dunno. When I got my WP Surround I knew that none of the tens of thousands of WM apps, some which I had used for more than six years (and paid $500+ for), and many which still work better than anything available for WP, would not be compatible with Windows Phone. Took me about an hour to get over it.

So, get over it. Progress marches on and there is nothing anyone can do about it. You all have choices.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Dunno. When I got my WP Surround I knew that none of the tens of thousands of WM apps, some which I had used for more than six years (and paid $500+ for), and many which still work better than anything available for WP, would not be compatible with Windows Phone. Took me about an hour to get over it.

So, get over it. Progress marches on and there is nothing anyone can do about it. You all have choices.

There is a very thin line between fanboyism and brand loyalty.

It might have not taken an hour for you if your Windows Mobile wasn't six year old and you had spend $500 in just 6 months to buy apps.

However, WP7 apps ARE compatible with WP8, so not the same scenario you got over in an hour. It is the progress march that is leaving people behind. Two terms: Compatibility and Reverse-Compatibility.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There is a very thin line between fanboyism and brand loyalty.

It might have not taken an hour for you if your Windows Mobile wasn't six year old and you had spend $500 in just 6 months to buy apps.

However, WP7 apps ARE compatible with WP8, so not the same scenario you got over in an hour. It is the progress march that is leaving people behind. Two terms: Compatibility and Reverse-Compatibility.
Right. But the point being (in reverse) there are going to be some games (that I personally couldn't care less about) that will take advantage of native code/dual core, along with some apps that will be updated to work with Wallet and other WP8 exclusive features. But my L900 will continue to work as well as it does now, along with the 200+ apps I have installed. And when I do decide to upgrade to a WP8, all those apps will continue to work.

This is no different than Carrier and OEM exclusive apps. Everybody can't have everything. If not having that new WP8 app is going to give you an ulcer, sell your old phone and buy a WP8. Savings in medical bills will more than make up fo the small loss in switching devices.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
For those with a Lumia and want WP8, can't you sell the handset and buy an off contract WP8 device, when the time comes? The L800/L900s will still be sought after. I mean, they're still a great device after all.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Right. But the point being (in reverse) there are going to be some games (that I personally couldn't care less about) that will take advantage of native code/dual core, along with some apps that will be updated to work with Wallet and other WP8 exclusive features. But my L900 will continue to work as well as it does now, along with the 200+ apps I have installed. And when I do decide to upgrade to a WP8, all those apps will continue to work.

This is no different than Carrier and OEM exclusive apps. Everybody can't have everything. If not having that new WP8 app is going to give you an ulcer, sell your old phone and buy a WP8. Savings in medical bills will more than make up fo the small loss in switching devices.

Skype - won't use wallet but a better Skype app will be available for WP8 using native code.
Instagram - ?
Pandora - ?
Viber with voice calls - ?
List might go on..

Unless you are completely blinded for defending WP7 at its current state, I don't see why it is so hard to believe that the "improved" apps and new "native" apps that WP8 *might* have won't come to WP7. If WP8 does gain initial traction (I hope it does!) then no one will ever be bothered to look at updating their WP7 app. I cannot put my hand on heart and say that ALL your 200+ apps are top notch form of how they should perform. Unless MSFT personally screwed me over, I know we have apps that don't/can't use social share, we have apps that don't have a live tile, we have apps that can't run in backgroun (Skype, I'm thinking here), we have apps that have to stream music to overcome laggy, slow loading (Whatsapp new version) etc.

Even though I will marry Windows Phone with blink of my eye if it were a human (any gender!) I don't think I will blindly talk about someone's ulcers or send them to a different platform. I am not going to sell my Lumia, I am not going to buy WP8 on day one of launch but I am not moving to any other platform either and in the same way, I am not going to say everything is rosy when clearly it isn't. May be it is easier for a lot of us out here to sell their phones for ?200 cheaper than what they pay and then buy a ?600 worth new phone and essentially end up with a ?800 device which might have to wait for an update to have more desired features. But it is only wise to have my Lumia as I still love the device and just see what WP8 brings for dinner.

The key to innovation, development and moving forward is acknowledging the drawbacks and realizing that this can be much better!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Because you keep posting things that are simply not true. You can take an iPhone 4 and run any app in the app store. With the Lumia 900, a mere 6 MONTHS after it was released, when WP8 apps start to come out, you will NOT be able to run them. That's the difference. Or rather one of the differences, I'm not going to get into the whole WP 7.8 vs 8 thing again. But it's not the same and it would be nice if you would stop spreading FUD.

You might be right about the port change, I'll give you that. But that's another topic and nothing is official yet. Let's see how Apple handles that first and then we can comment on that.

so what about you posting things that are false as well ? Sounds hypocritical

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
There's a much bigger yet related issue here that I have not seen addressed any where yet. I don't keep up with all this tech stuff as much as most of you so please forgive me if I am wrong. I've only recently learned that my beloved Zune player and software are being left by the side of the road by MS. What does this have to do with WinPhone 8? Well it has made me rethink plopping my hard earned cache down for one I know that! Now with the whole 1st gen WP users being left behind it makes me wonder what is MS up to? We all know the goal for everyone is to beat cRapple but what happens if they do not acheive this goal? Will MS be satisfied with a moderate 3rd or weak 2nd place in the OS standings? Will they continue to pump out new WP's and support those that trusted them and bought there devices or will they take there ball and go home like they did when Zune didn't beat the iFod.... err Pod? That's the real issue here in my opinion. :straight:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Are you referring to the zune music player in WP or the iPod competitor zune? I believe they are renaming zune for WP something like Xbox music, but not 100% sure.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Wow this thread has turned in to quite the discussion I'm glad I left it opened. Its too bad the OP doesn't want to participate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon