Is it me, or is there a lack of excitement for WP8?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I hope you are right index. Lack of features and info has me anxious. And maybe I am wrong in expecting Android or iPhone-like hype. I think WP is a great OS and should be hyped and actually live up to it.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

mafu6

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8 will be a major advertisement for WP8 in its own right the more people that use the tiles and become comfortable with them the more aware of WP8 people will be and once that they are comfortable with using the tiles and are used to having them in their life interacting with them and seeing them constantly then when it comes to buying a new phone people will be more than likely be seriously interested in buying a WP8. How is hard to create on mass even though android has the majority of the market share of mobile phone OS Apple still creates more hype for their products . Hype will come for WP8 and what better way to do it than the plan that MS are hatching..

sent from my HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 2

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I hope you are right index. Lack of features and info has me anxious. And maybe I am wrong in expecting Android or iPhone-like hype. I think WP is a great OS and should be hyped and actually live up to it.

The hype seems like it is normally centered around a device, not a software release. There is no iOS 6 hype, there was no Jelly Bean hype. There IS next-iPhone hype and WAS SGS III hype. People get hyped about the release of the next iteration of the marquee device for a platform, and Windows Phone doesn't really have one. The closest thing would be the Lumia 900 and not enough normal people really know about it for their to be any hype for its successor.

derek533

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
The hype seems like it is normally centered around a device, not a software release. There is no iOS 6 hype, there was no Jelly Bean hype. There IS next-iPhone hype and WAS SGS III hype. People get hyped about the release of the next iteration of the marquee device for a platform, and Windows Phone doesn't really have one. The closest thing would be the Lumia 900 and not enough normal people really know about it for their to be any hype for its successor.

Agree. It's all about the device AND carrier. Just ask those of us who waited forever (and some still waiting) for a Galaxy Note on Verizon. The sucktastic LG Vu isn't going to cut it either Verizon.

It's all about the hype. Now, if Nokia announces a 4.7" screened WP8 with Pureview on all carriers, it would immediately gain a huge excitability factor much like the SGSIII

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Straight up, the folks cluttering up the forums with 5 topics a day about how upgrading to the 900 and now being "obsolete" has ruined the hype I had. Like buzz kill.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I think in the tech market its "Show me what you got and until then I don't believe anything you have is special."

That goes with the small population of current WP users who don't have much of a voice in the mobile market. Until WP can get a decent chunk of Android or iOS users to jump ship and climb abord this boat people won't get too excited.

Plus take into account the human nature of things to just want what they already have to be the BEZT EVAR because they don't want to feel cheated. That's why Apple does so well at telling everybody what they have is the best out there even though Microsoft or Google or whoever else may have a better product.

4G has been around for a while and even the 4S didn't get it. Camera on the phone, processor speed, screen resolution, pixels per inch, cell speed... etc. Apple is usually last to have something that is top of the line in those categories. It's how they get you to get excited for their new products. The new iPhone will have 4g!? GREAT!!! Now I can get rid of this 3G POS and get my 4G on with Apple! YAY! Even though people have been experiencing 4G for over a year now.

Apple has great business strategies and it's hard to compete with unless you have a serious fanbase already. WP does not so they need to get very creative and innovative and PROVE that they belong in this market before people get excited.

You have to tell / convince the people who cannot think for themselves or don't know how why your product is the bees knees.

I have personal reasons to hate Google. Apple I am OK with but I just hate iTunes so I love me some WP.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I think that surface tablet is going to be hot. Especially at that price. And especially how it will be heavily linked to the W8 desktop. I really wasn't an MS guy, but with windows phone, they have me interested. Hence the reason I dropped my iPhone and Android for WP.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

Last edited by a moderator:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Totally with you.

LOVE the fact that Nokia got into the people's awareness with the 900. No matter what crap website or blogger calls the 900 a disappointment (which it wasn't), the fact is that was the first time a WP device was given "Hero" device status. Not only did it get Nokia in the headlines here in North America for the first time in about a freaking decade, it also got WP attention.

WP8 is the engine, but the cars will sell the OS. We need Nokia to follow the 900 with more top shelf WP8 monsters (which we know they will), and capitalize on the name recognition they got. We also need Samsung and HTC to come out with something to get consumers excited and actually promote it a little.

Microsoft HAS to put a little money into generally promoting WP8, we all know that. But, I think they will. They need some devices to show at the end of the commercial that will stand out. Maybe like a series of 4 or 5 commercials highlighting something WP8 does, and at the end of each commercial show a WP Hero device as free pub.

Then watch the excitment and sales improve.....

bruceleer0y

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I believe because the market isn't saturated with wp7 devices is the reason why the hype isn't there. There's a new low-medium level android device coming out every month, with high-level devices released every couple of months by a few different OEMS's.

So there's always this constant hype with Android.

Weren't the HTC Titan II and the Nokia Lumia 900 released around the same time frame? Then we had the Focus 2, which wasn't really amazing.

Point i'm trying to make is that these phones were released within the same time period, so the hype was there and then faded.

BTW I went into a sprint store with a friend and the rep there asked me what phone I was using and I showed him my HD7 and his reaction was "seriously??, you're using a windows phone". I know sprint only offers 1 windows phone, but still everything is Android and IOS.

I believe I read an article where ATT is having their reps educate the customers about all available options and then letting the customer decide instead of pushing them towards a particular phone.

Then again ATT does have a wide range of powerful devices from every OS

::rant:::confused:

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
The annoying thing to me is that on non-tech forums/blogs there is almost zero interest in WP8 (or WP7 for that matter). If a "What should I get for my next phone..." thread comes up I always suggest considering WP7/WP8 and get zero love comments/responses. People are fixated on iPhone, galaxy sIII, Razr Maxx, etc. No matter how hard I try to entice people (i.e. link to Pureview videos and mention it might be coming to WP8 soon) they just don't care. It's going to take a lot of marketing and a kick *** product to change that...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The annoying thing to me is that on non-tech forums/blogs there is almost zero interest in WP8 (or WP7 for that matter). If a "What should I get for my next phone..." thread comes up I always suggest considering WP7/WP8 and get zero love comments/responses. People are fixated on iPhone, galaxy sIII, Razr Maxx, etc. No matter how hard I try to entice people (i.e. link to Pureview videos and mention it might be coming to WP8 soon) they just don't care. It's going to take a lot of marketing and a kick *** product to change that...

I work in an ad firm and am a copywriter. Believe me, it takes more than that to make someone shift from their current loyalties. And its never easy. If I were to tell you, "Hey, you know, there is this new doctor in your area. He/She is pretty good." You would never buy it. You will in fact stick to your doctor all the more. It's psychological.

It will take a lot more for people to come onboard. And hope it happens soon. WP has great great potential. And a solid backing from a company like MS, plus the muscle power of Nokia. It's like all the right ingredients for success. You now just need a Masterchef.

novy2

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
WP8, where are the fireworks?

Ok before I start - I do realise there is not yet all told and uncovered around WP8.

However, with a lot of information already out through announcements, developer conference and a leaked development kit, I feel the big blockbusters are missing.

Here are some of the features I expected when I heard WP8 gets Windows 8 kernel:
  • Hybrid applications that run on both, Windows 8 and WP8
  • Dock WP8 to get full desktop mode (Windows RT)
  • Run all my WP7&8 apps on Windows 8
  • Stylus input
  • Hook up WP8 over USB and boot Windows RT to use all my apps on a computer (Windows To Go)
  • Kinect features
  • Attach game controllers
  • Attach printers, keyboards and mice
  • Anything else that has wow factor and is missing in the mobile landscape so far

I know these are not must have features in any way. But clearly some of these would help to stand out between IOS and Android. So MS, please surprise us all and proof me wrong! :cool:

Do you think the fireworks are missing?

Last edited:

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It could be because apple is coming out with an all new device this fall. face the fact when you look at it apple has blown away Microsoft and everyone else. look at how many things go with the iPhone all sorts of docks ect look at windows phone cases that is it. Microsoft lost the decade by being slow. I think that with the surface tablet they should do well with that. but how much will that piss off there partners only time will tell. Microsoft needs there partners to turn this around the PC market has seen it's day aside from gamers and hard core users the regular Joe/Jane surf the net watch a video read the mail the tablet is the way for them to go even now from schools to airlines they are now all using what ipad not an android not a windows device. the mobile battle has been lost before it even started...look at the stocks value of each company MS at it's height was a 600 billion company now it's apple. people are not taking well to win8 my folks used mine and hated the tile start page and the way you bookmark things in ie10 there is no way to create places for special sights it's horrible they told me. after using my machine they wanted a new laptop I told them wait for win8 that is why I showed them mine, they went and bought an ipad instead.what works on a tablet doesn't mean it will work on a pc. just saying.no one wants windows phone when they hear windows they thing crashes problems viruses bad rap... still today walk into an att&t store and they still down talk windows phone. that is never going to change.....

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As others may have pointed out, Verizon's refusal to carry a WP7 device without LTE definitely hurt in the long run. Considering the fact that they released the Trophy when it was almost a year old left people with a device that was outgunned in the specs department from day one. I had a Trophy for a while and it still ran fairly well, especially once the Mango update was released.

Now that Verizon has come out and said that they will carry WP8 devices (possibly multiple phones at launch), Windows Phone will get much more exposure. Add in the fact that Verizon and AT&T are getting sick of paying huge subsidies on the iPhone, and you have 2 carriers that are looking for a third player in the smartphone market. With BB10 not being released until Q1 2013, that leaves Windows Phone to get the nod. I'm really hoping that Nokia comes out swinging at their announcement September 5th and shows me my future phone. I've grown bored of iOS and the Galaxy Nexus isn't solid enough of a performer on Verizon for me to go back to Android.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The hype is behind Windows 8 and Surface right now.

We don't even know when WP8 launches.

I imagine if Nokia announces something on Sept 5, then hype will begin.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The hype is behind Windows 8 and Surface right now.

We don't even know when WP8 launches.

I imagine if Nokia announces something on Sept 5, then hype will begin.

Agree. Half the things are rumors and other half are leaks. Neither very reliable IMHO. Once an official word comes out...things might change.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett