Thinking of switching from Android to WP8...some "must have" questions about WP8!

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Seems equal or ahead to me, at least on the Androids I've seen.

See is not enough, you have to try and use to see why they are not equal.

Just some very basic examples:
Email: When replying or forwarding you can not edit or delete original message, or remove addresses in the message.
Calendar: Live tile just show next days events. No week view. In month view no description of events. No default view setting. No categories. No search. Unreliable sync, often just last 6 weeks events.

My 10 years old Nokia and even monochrome Palm Pilot did better when it comes to these functions.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
See is not enough, you have to try and use to see why they are not equal.

Just some very basic examples:
Email: When replying or forwarding you can not edit or delete original message, or remove addresses in the message..

Why would you want to do that? I use my phone for business I wouldn't want someone removing part of the email I want the whole story. It doesn't seam to me like that is something people should be able to do.

Calendar: Live tile just show next days events. No week view. In month view no description of events. No default view setting. No categories. No search. Unreliable sync, often just last 6 weeks events.

My 10 years old Nokia and even monochrome Palm Pilot did better when it comes to these functions.

Choice is good lets hope we have more choices in WP8 for those that need it. Personally I never used any of those on my Android. I bet I opened the week view 2 times in 2 years. Its pretty but I just don't use it. I am glad Android is giving you the options you need. Windows Phone does the same for me.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Email: When replying or forwarding you can not edit or delete original message, or remove addresses in the message.

The Blackberrys don't allow changing the original email either for the reasons Dave Blake mentioned. However, sometimes I would like to delete part of a long email chain and for those times, I just start a new email and copy paste the ones I want included.

The calendar tile actually shows the next upcoming event for 24 hours and that's all I need to see usually. If I need other information I just open up the calendar app.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I also find the agenda view to be more than sufficient for the calendar functions, it also acts like a zoom in feature for the month view.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Well, just my personal though, but if you are a person who are running your own domains and also will study engineering, I think you will find WP VERY limited compared to Android.

Do your best to borrow a WP phone before you decide, use it for a week or two, then you will know if it is something for you or not.
That's a different perspective from mine I am an EE and I was getting tired of forever playing with my phones, rooting custom roms etc, to make it work just right, even though I enjoyed it initially. I like the fact that I can count on my Lumia to do what it is supposed to do and leave my design and trouble shooting expertise for work.

Trying out a new OS/Devicd prior to committing oneself is a must in my opinion as well, I usually take advantage of the 30 day trial peripd to be sure. I have tried and returned my Captivate and my Focus Flash in a week after getting it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
That's a different perspective from mine I am an EE and I was getting tired of forever playing with my phones, rooting custom roms etc, to make it work just right, even though I enjoyed it initially. I like the fact that I can count on my Lumia to do what it is supposed to do and leave my design and trouble shooting expertise for work.

Sorry to barge in but....this is exactly my frame of mind right now...I have a RaZr.
I'm done Modding/tweaking/fidgeting with the system.
After flashing each ROM, my life's in my throat cause I don't know if I this thing in my hand, which was a phone until now, has turned into an expensive paper weight.

Needless to say, it takes sooooo much of ur time...
So, WP8 will be a fresh change.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to barge in but....this is exactly my frame of mind right now...I have a RaZr.
I'm done Modding/tweaking/fidgeting with the system.
After flashing each ROM, my life's in my throat cause I don't know if I this thing in my hand, which was a phone until now, has turned into an expensive paper weight.

Needless to say, it takes sooooo much of ur time...
So, WP8 will be a fresh change.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

Which is exactly why I went to WP. I had an EVO Shift the week before I got my arrive and hated the experience.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Why would you want to do that? I use my phone for business I wouldn't want someone removing part of the email I want the whole story. It doesn't seam to me like that is something people should be able to do.

Why can you do it in Outlook or any other email software on your PC or other smartphones then?
I use my phone for business too, and many times I get an email which includes many addresses that I don't want to forward, for privacy. And sometimes I want to add comments right in to the message, when replying or forwarding. Or remove unnecessary chains of messages etc. Since it is possible to do it the hard way by copy and paste, why not have the option in the email client?

As you say options is good, I am hoping for a lot more of them in WP8.

mb-dape

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site

Trying out a new OS/Devicd prior to committing oneself is a must in my opinion as well, I usually take advantage of the 30 day trial peripd to be sure. I have tried and returned my Captivate and my Focus Flash in a week after getting it.

Please, I am not talking about flashing custom ROMs and endless tweaking. What is so wrong with having just some more options in the calendar or the OS in general?

Apparently WPs very basic and feature poor approach has not been a success (to speak kindly). So you who are absolutely satisfied with WP can go on and tell yourselfs that the rest of the world is wrong and don't understand, or you can realize that maybe a button called "Advanced" or "More settings" in some places would do only good for WPs attractiveness.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Please, I am not talking about flashing custom ROMs and endless tweaking. What is so wrong with having just some more options in the calendar or the OS in general?

Apparently WPs very basic and feature poor approach has not been a success (to speak kindly). So you who are absolutely satisfied with WP can go on and tell yourselfs that the rest of the world is wrong and don't understand, or you can realize that maybe a button called "Advanced" or "More settings" in some places would do only good for WPs attractiveness.

I don't see where anyone is saying the rest of the world is wrong and doesn't understand. I do see people saying that they are satisfied with the way WP is right now and that WP8 might have more features.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs