08-23-2012 11:33 PM
34 12
tools
    So i actually owned an s3 and you just want to tell me i am wrong? Also you apparently believe the hardware makes the software better? Ummm ok. No point in even trying to have a logical convo here lol.
    Owning a Mercedes didn't make me an expert Mercedes mechanic, even though I knew how to operate it. Look, one of the oldest and most stubborn myths about Android is that you must actively manage running apps to conserve memory and keep Android running well. It's even less true with ICS. With the S3, which has double the RAM of most Android devices, it's even more of a waste of time to worry about memory management. And yes, hardware can indeed make the software better. Increasing the available RAM and the processor cores are just two hardware-based methods for improving the software experience for the user, whether the software in question is Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, webOS, WP7, etc etc. There's nothing "logical" about insisting otherwise.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    08-22-2012 01:03 PM
    Owning a Mercedes didn't make me an expert Mercedes mechanic, even though I knew how to operate it. Look, one of the oldest and most stubborn myths about Android is that you must actively manage running apps to conserve memory and keep Android running well. It's even less true with ICS. With the S3, which has double the RAM of most Android devices, it's even more of a waste of time to worry about memory management. And yes, hardware can indeed make the software better. Increasing the available RAM and the processor cores are just two hardware-based methods for improving the software experience for the user, whether the software in question is Windows, OSX, Linux, Android, webOS, WP7, etc etc. There's nothing "logical" about insisting otherwise.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk
    LOL you completely missed the point.
    08-23-2012 03:07 AM
    Well, I'm trying to run Crysis on my laptop with 256k of ram, integrated graphics card, and a 2G hard drive. I'm pretty sure better hardware would make this experience better.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    doublebullout likes this.
    08-23-2012 05:10 AM
    Instance 3:

Today, got down from the bus and the street lights suddenly decided to conk off. The road ahead was completely dark. Was on the foot path.

Stopped and again looked through my Android's heap of icons, page after page for the flash app. Nope. Never got it till I reached my building elevator. Had to just use the screen light on the streets.

Yes WP8, I love u. Just don't b super expensive.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    08-23-2012 01:43 PM
    If other carriers are an option, the upcoming Droid Razr HD is another one to consider.

FWIW, my S3 has never locked up on me. I don't micro manage cpu or memory, don't use any task killers or anti-virus. There are a couple of very good ad blocking apps, also.

Good luck w/your choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by pseudoware; 08-23-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    08-23-2012 02:37 PM
    Instance 3:

Stopped and again looked through my Android's heap of icons, page after page for the flash app. Nope. Never got it till I reached my building elevator. Had to just use the screen light on the streets.
    lol, i had to use my screen light back when i was using win mobile to get across a small forest to get home at night a couple years ago, it has got to be the scariest thing ive had to do... 50 degree decline and then a (seems like) 60 degree incline, almost killed myself that night had i tripped

i must say, finding apps on wp is so much easier than other platforms
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    08-23-2012 03:24 PM
    Look, one of the oldest and most stubborn myths about Android is that you must actively manage running apps to conserve memory and keep Android running well.
    ummm.... no, and here is the reason why, people write crappy apps, and new programmers tend to cause even bigger issues (not their fault, just inexperienced) and here is the fun part, android has full "true" multitasking, and speaking from experience with my friend's androids including my sisters, if u get an app that runs in the background doing really stupid things then this "true" multitasking will give u the finger about this "don't manage ur memory"

if the apps u use are well written than no problem, and i'll agree with u, but it's when bad apps get downloaded things go bad

iOS' way of multitasking (along with that wp as well) is much better at this as apps don't get to run in the background "all" the time, now i agree with the fact that not managing it is better, but on android it just seems eventually u'll get forced into doing it anyways

just a side note, this is kind of like when the camera app is open in wp and u lock ur cell, the camera app remains open and drains ur battery, im not sure if this is still true though, probably fixed (this was a while back)
    08-23-2012 03:31 PM
    lol, i had to use my screen light back when i was using win mobile to get across a small forest to get home at night a couple years ago, it has got to be the scariest thing ive had to do... 50 degree decline and then a (seems like) 60 degree incline, almost killed myself that night had i tripped

i must say, finding apps on wp is so much easier than other platforms
    Exactly. That's y I have realized this early in the day. When a dark street can teach you...I don't need to go through a forest to learn the same. :P Just saying....

Yes, I am now realizing how functionality vs dual-quad core/big app store/a-phone-a-week is nowhere in competition.

Miss the fast, I-get-it-when-I-want-it style WP. :(

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    08-23-2012 10:06 PM
    Well, I'm trying to run Crysis on my laptop with 256k of ram, integrated graphics card, and a 2G hard drive. I'm pretty sure better hardware would make this experience better.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    First of all, a game is not an OS. This is basic software knowledge. Im surprised you didnt know that.

Second of all a game built for an OS may have hardware requirements that differ from what you currently have. Trying to run say Angry Birds on a G1 as opposed to a galaxy s3 there will be a huge difference in performance. An OS is an OS the comparison you are making is like saying ou are trying to put jet fuel in your Honda Civic. What Im saying is you can have a Civic and a Corolla and it doesnt matter that they are different cars, they both take unleaded gas. However one may get better gas milage than the other.

Two phones that use the same os... One may run it better but it doesnt mean its not still using the same buggy OS. Get it now?
    Last edited by TaliZorah; 08-24-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    08-23-2012 11:33 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD