08-23-2012 11:33 PM
34 12
tools
    Hello everyone,

This is my situation, I currently use an HD7, I've owned this device over a year now and at this point my phone is started to perform sluggish. In addition there are times when the screen itself is unresponsive to touch, and finally my battery is starting to lose power more quickly than before.

I understand that I can just replace the battery, however what would you do?

I have an upgrade available to me and T-mobile is my carrier. with WP8 right around the corner, do you think I should stick it out and wait for T-mobile to get an amazing device, or do you think I should consider an Android device?

I was originally an Android user and picked up the HD7 just by chance, not knowing anything about the new OS but i'm so happy I did. I absolutely love it, but honestly I don't have to much of an issue with Android.:dry

What would you do in my situation?
    08-18-2012 08:41 PM
    Wait for Blackberry 10 :D
    cckgz4 likes this.
    08-18-2012 08:53 PM
    NO way
    palandri and X0LARIUM like this.
    08-18-2012 09:00 PM
    Wait it out for WP8, it's not much longer now.
    scottcraft likes this.
    08-18-2012 09:09 PM
    If you have to have a phone right now maybe you could find a used one on craigslist or ebay and then you could see what WP8 is going to offer on TMobile in a month or two.
    palandri likes this.
    08-18-2012 09:23 PM
    Blackberry........eww (Shivers)
    Wp8 is going to finish that OS

get a cheap Wp
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    08-18-2012 11:43 PM
    Now is the wrong time to be buying a phone. With ios6, wp8, etc all on the horizon, its silly buying now. Wait, see which platform best covers your needs and go with thaat.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express
    08-19-2012 02:38 PM
    You're asking us if you should consider an android advice here on this forum? Really?
    eric12341 likes this.
    08-20-2012 12:11 PM
    My vote is for "BB". Its coming up with OS10. Doesn't that tell u how ahead it is? (iOS - 6, Android - 4, WP - 8)
    Give some respect to it. So what if it doesn't have quad - core. So what if it (still) doesn't have a (good) touch screen. So what if it has an archaic messaging service which isn't even free. So what if no one knows what resolution is the display. So what if it houses an unknown processor, and knows jacks#it about multitasking. So what if its fanboys are either suited corporates or aimless teenagers.
    BB is BB. And its S#IT. We all know that.
    :p

Seriously, just wait.

On a serious note, I don't see the lag going away from Android anytime soon. Even my RaZr lags at times, its dual core and 1.2ghz...
    So I'm pretty much done with Android. But im not you...so..I can only suggest. And I suggest wait.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    bruceleer0y likes this.
    08-20-2012 12:27 PM
    You're asking us if you should consider an android advice here on this forum? Really?
    Not all of us are fanboys. It isn't illegal to speak about other OS's here. I prefer windows phone and I don't mind Android.

Last edited by bruceleer0y; 08-21-2012 at 07:10 PM.
    X0LARIUM likes this.
    08-21-2012 06:59 PM
    I'd wait,but those galaxy S 3 phones do look nice.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    08-21-2012 07:45 PM
    If you wait, you get your pick from a variety of great choices. Even the Android phones that you are considering now might be a little cheaper by then in order to compete with the iPhone5 launch.
    08-21-2012 08:47 PM

They look very nice!
    08-21-2012 08:57 PM
    Buy a used wp device so you can keep your upgrade for wp8
    08-21-2012 10:47 PM
    Yes, thank you for all of your responses. I think i'm going to hold off as long as I can. If the phone does die on me, i think i'd just buy a used phone and wait for wp8 :lol:
    scottcraft likes this.
    08-21-2012 11:32 PM
    I think W8 and WP8 are worth the wait. Just get a NOKIA next time. ;)
    08-21-2012 11:46 PM

They look very nice!
    Had an S3. Very nice phone, well built, great battery life for an adroid device, great camera and camera features.

In the end, it's still and android where you have to be super careful when downloading apps becuase google gives developer so much access to your phone and you are recommened to get a security app. Ad's galore just about everywhere and even on your home-screen and notification bar with some apps. Yes the S3 has 2GB of memory but that doesn't stop the phone from locking up at least once a week.

I found myself constantly managing my running apps and clearing memory on it. I felt like I was managing my phone to run the way I want it to more than I was actually using it.

Again, in the end... it's still and android no matter how nice the hardware is.
    08-22-2012 03:53 AM
    Had an S3. Very nice phone, well built, great battery life for an adroid device, great camera and camera features.

In the end, it's still and android where you have to be super careful when downloading apps becuase google gives developer so much access to your phone and you are recommened to get a security app. Ad's galore just about everywhere and even on your home-screen and notification bar with some apps. Yes the S3 has 2GB of memory but that doesn't stop the phone from locking up at least once a week.

I found myself constantly managing my running apps and clearing memory on it. I felt like I was managing my phone to run the way I want it to more than I was actually using it.

I totally second that...Android is Android.

WP8 here I come....

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    08-22-2012 05:28 AM
    What apps was that? I never had any problem with any apps on my galaxy s 2. The access that android devs have = fantastic apps. Much better quality and functionality than a lot of other apps.

08-22-2012 06:23 AM
    Yes the S3 has 2GB of memory but that doesn't stop the phone from locking up at least once a week.

None of the reviews I've read (AC, Verge, Engadget, Brighthand, Anandtech) have mentioned any traditional Android instability in the S3, or even the HOX for that matter. ICS seems to do a much cleaner job of managing memory resources than prior versions of Android. If you were "constantly managing" your apps and clearing memory on an ICS device with 2GB RAM, you were wasting your time unnecessarily.

Regarding the OP, I'd definitely wait. Two dates are circled on my calendar: 9/5 and 9/12. If both Nokia and Apple fail to impress, I'll likely join the Android sheeple and get an S3. (Although $99 for a HOX on AT&T would be really hard to pass up.)
    08-22-2012 07:29 AM

I'm using an HTC Rezound with ice cream sandwich. I have been using it probably two months and I've yet to experience it locking up and I don't clear memory or manage apps on it. Not sure why your experience on a phone much newer than my in so much different.
    08-22-2012 08:02 AM
    like others said i would wait, but just curious, have you tried factory reset the phone just to see if fixes the first two issues? the battery u can't do much about other then getting an external battery to carry you through the day, upside to that is u can use that battery for your next phone as well :)
    08-22-2012 11:24 AM
    Two instances from today and yesterday.
    Yesterday: Was talking to the HR of my organisation on the phone(not my mobile but a land line) and had to calculate something. Took me more than two minutes to find the calculator. :P
    Requested her to wait twice till I finally found the calci icon from the heap of icons.

Today: in a client meeting, the client suddenly started giving notes. Thought I will be cool and type it on my phone. Till the time I could find/start and write, the dictation was over and we had moved on to PPT gazing.

Now I love WP8 even more.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    TaliZorah likes this.
    08-22-2012 11:37 AM
    What apps was that? I never had any problem with any apps on my galaxy s 2. The access that android devs have = fantastic apps. Much better quality and functionality than a lot of other apps.

There are a few. I dont quite understand how giving more access to your phone means better apps. For instance why does A game need to know my location? So it can personalize ads for me? Yeah I want that!! I love random devs trying to get access to my personal info. I actually pay attention to what apps have access to. Most people dont.

I just cant stand android. Personal preference. I had a buddy finally get smartphone a couple weeks ago. He hates apple snd never heard of wp. I told him he should get an iphone or a wp. He said he wanted android and wouldnt take anythingn else. He got an S2. Hates it because of the terrible battery life and the ads on just about every free app. Out of his return date. He wants my lumia 900 and im gonna sell it to him when wp8 comes out.

Ever notice how android is the only smartphone platform with mobile Nornton Security, AVG security, McAffe Security and Lookout Security apps? Because the average joe doesnt know how to clean up all the spam on their phones that apps save to your device. Oh and android is the most hacked OS.

None of the reviews I've read (AC, Verge, Engadget, Brighthand, Anandtech) have mentioned any traditional Android instability in the S3, or even the HOX for that matter. ICS seems to do a much cleaner job of managing memory resources than prior versions of Android. If you were "constantly managing" your apps and clearing memory on an ICS device with 2GB RAM, you were wasting your time unnecessarily.

Regarding the OP, I'd definitely wait. Two dates are circled on my calendar: 9/5 and 9/12. If both Nokia and Apple fail to impress, I'll likely join the Android sheeple and get an S3. (Although $99 for a HOX on AT&T would be really hard to pass up.)
    So i actually owned an s3 and you just want to tell me i am wrong? Also you apparently believe the hardware makes the software better? Ummm ok. No point in even trying to have a logical convo here lol.
    Last edited by TaliZorah; 08-22-2012 at 12:18 PM.
    08-22-2012 12:06 PM
    Two instances from today and yesterday.
    Yesterday: Was talking to the HR of my organisation on the phone(not my mobile but a land line) and had to calculate something. Took me more than two minutes to find the calculator. :P
    Requested her to wait twice till I finally found the calci icon from the heap of icons.

Today: in a client meeting, the client suddenly started giving notes. Thought I will be cool and type it on my phone. Till the time I could find/start and write, the dictation was over and we had moved on to PPT gazing.

Now I love WP8 even more.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
    WP8 is going to take over the blackberry and business market easily with outlook integration and skype calls. The casual mobile user? Who knows. But for business there is going to be nothing better.
    08-22-2012 12:18 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD