:O. RIM is gonna steal People hub features from Windows phone HOW COULD THEY!

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
More choices, more competition amongst the companies are good for consumers. It forces the company to do better than the others each time. They may implement similar features as another platform, and try to make it better, then other companies will do the same.

You can also argue that without the iphone, we probably will not have the phones we have now. Full touch screen devices may still be using resistive touch screens and require a stylus or fingernails to use properly. I may not like using iOS, but i think that it pushed the mobile industry forward by a few years, and i can respect that. It forced the other players to react and try to improve the existing OS, or come up an entirely new OS like MS, RIM, is doing.

As mentioned above, unless you're a shareholder or have other vested interested in how well the company performs, i don't see why people want other platform or company to die.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, competition is good however the way the market is now structured RIM is now simply too small to compete effectively against giants like Samsung, Apple and Google - it simply can't access the economics of scale that they do - so to in the game they need to sell many many more phones (highly unlikely) to make up the difference in margins.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Indeed, competition is good however the way the market is now structured RIM is now simply too small to compete effectively against giants like Samsung, Apple and Google - it simply can't access the economics of scale that they do - so to in the game they need to sell many many more phones (highly unlikely) to make up the difference in margins.

Agree. But i think RIM doesn't need to win the rest of the platforms in terms of market share. They just need to sell phones like they use to. They need BB10 to be good, and for people to actually consider BB10 as a competitive product. They can be 3rd or 4th and still do well financially. Of course we will still need more people to adopt smartphone first, seeing that there are still more feature phones than smart phones.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm an IT guy. I'm a tech guy for a living. I can tell you with absolute certainty that RIM (and Blackberry platform) NEEDS to die.

Most people don't recall the 2004-2006 timeframe where they were getting sued left and right for patent violations and malicious business practices. They were fighting back, of course, and as is usually the case they win some lose some, and managed to come out OK.

However, as a tech guy, I can tell you that there isn't a single feature or function or device that is innovative or beneficial to consumers. RIM Blackberry Server is a terrible e-mail system that doesn't even begin to compare with Exchange, and barely can compete with other low-end e-mail systems, and yet they charge a premium for it.

Their phones used to (don't know if they still do) charge additional fees for the basic features above and beyond what the cost of the phone and carrier plans were... even if you didn't use them. They don't support ActiveSync (at least, they didn't used to), and their entire existence is based on proprietary technologies.

In other words... they don't play well with others.

Meanwhile, the company has been horribly mismanaged, and while I don't want to see people lose their livelihoods, I'm quite confident that those employees would find work elsewhere and the executives will just move on to destroy other companies... or live on their wealth.

I'm all for competition, and I'm all for business. But I do believe that THIS COMPANY has been run into the ground by their own negligence, and despite countless opportunities to succeed, they continue to be failures in the industry. That does not benefit the industry, the consumers, or the employees of the company.

As for copying ideas, well, as long as the ideas are properly licensed, not a big deal. :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm an IT guy. I'm a tech guy for a living. I can tell you with absolute certainty that RIM (and Blackberry platform) NEEDS to die.

Most people don't recall the 2004-2006 timeframe where they were getting sued left and right for patent violations and malicious business practices. They were fighting back, of course, and as is usually the case they win some lose some, and managed to come out OK.

However, as a tech guy, I can tell you that there isn't a single feature or function or device that is innovative or beneficial to consumers. RIM Blackberry Server is a terrible e-mail system that doesn't even begin to compare with Exchange, and barely can compete with other low-end e-mail systems, and yet they charge a premium for it.

Their phones used to (don't know if they still do) charge additional fees for the basic features above and beyond what the cost of the phone and carrier plans were... even if you didn't use them. They don't support ActiveSync (at least, they didn't used to), and their entire existence is based on proprietary technologies.

In other words... they don't play well with others.

Meanwhile, the company has been horribly mismanaged, and while I don't want to see people lose their livelihoods, I'm quite confident that those employees would find work elsewhere and the executives will just move on to destroy other companies... or live on their wealth.

I'm all for competition, and I'm all for business. But I do believe that THIS COMPANY has been run into the ground by their own negligence, and despite countless opportunities to succeed, they continue to be failures in the industry. That does not benefit the industry, the consumers, or the employees of the company.

As for copying ideas, well, as long as the ideas are properly licensed, not a big deal. :)

Thank you. Its high time people realized this. I hate BB more than Sammy and I have reasons.

BB is soooooo old its not even funny.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure bb was the start of the smartphone craze. Apple just took it to the next level with its much much nicer UI. Have to do some wiki'ing. I know bb was not the first smartphone, but it was definitely the first craze with loyal followers. My business still pushes them. IPhone is a user paid option, bb is company paid. Service is free for both. I am not at the level to get either so I am happy with my titan.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure bb was the start of the smartphone craze. Apple just took it to the next level with its much much nicer UI. Have to do some wiki'ing. I know bb was not the first smartphone, but it was definitely the first craze with loyal followers. My business still pushes them. IPhone is a user paid option, bb is company paid. Service is free for both. I am not at the level to get either so I am happy with my titan.
Err, why don't you look up the Kyocera (can't remember the model) Smartphone that ran the Palm OS. First (or I think there was a Qualcom first) Smartphone. I used it for about a year (my only stink with Verizon). Oh, then there was something called Windows Mobile. That beat the iPhone by half a decade. Calling the first BBs Smartphones would be a stretch, unless you call reading email smart.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
BB? Smartphone? BB is anything but a smartphone.

Lack of options overall.
Hopeless device designs
ONE crappy UI
Super small screens (To read one email, you have to scroll a trazillion times.)

And much much more...sorry but I am just a BB hater.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb