WP8 apps question

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I read your post down to this line:

"...1) Most third party apps run poorly. Slow to load, to transition, the scrolling is invariably all over the place...."

and didn't bother reading anymore of your post. You should stick with your iPhone, you'll be a lot happier with it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
U might want to wait and see reviews of the devices with WP8 IMHO.

Some unboxing videos, some reviews etc. Will give you a fair idea.

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to stop at the first line like palandri ( rolf ) but i decided to keep going haha.

1. MS wont do much for Third party apps cause its not their responsibility , if Developers suck at coding then the app is doomed. ( just like the thousands of Bad apps on Iphone/Android/RIM etc.. its every where.. )

I can say that Making apps for WP8 SHOULD be easyer witch should make them better .. but who knows.

2. this is a Miss conception ALLOT of people have... let me make it clear.

WP does NOT have Multytask! what its called is Quick Resume. The apps DO NOT run in the background , (exacly like the Iphone. not to mention your comparing a First Gen WP to what the Iphone 4(s)?? )

head over here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/os-discussion/187393.htm#post1625448

PS: are you seriously complaining about having to wait 9 sec? :straight::dry:straight:

Watch this Vid:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk[/YT]

Last edited:

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Well, that was helpful, eh? To actually give you some answers...

1) This has been a longtime problem with 3rd party apps in WP. A lot has been done to improve this in Mango (see Kodierer [Coder]: Nodo vs Mango - Windows Phone ListBox Performance Improvements in Action - Rene Schulte - Coding .Net and Silverlight with C#) and I'm sure WP8 will get even better (and the Android approach of throwing more performance power at things will certainly help too).

2) I don't think this has been confirmed officially yet, but from what I understand (and as MS is touting the WP8 multitasking as "real") apps will be able to run in the background and this will fix the issue you described and apps will launch instantly when they are already running in the background.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Hey Ive been using the HTC Mozart since WP7 first came out and Im deciding whether to go back to the iPhone or stick with a Nokia WP8 (hopefully with the fancy camera) when they come out.

I have a couple of main issues with 7.5 right now (both around third party apps) and was wondering if we know whether Microsoft is planning on fixing these.

1) Most third party apps run poorly. Slow to load, to transition, the scrolling is invariably all over the place. I?ve listed some of the apps I use the most below and except for maybe the simple weather app, Endomondo and Twitter, they all feel unpolished. I just wish they all ran smoothly like the core apps. Anyways I thought I read somewhere that the way apps are built in WP8 is now different to 7.5 (sorry Im not sure about all the tech behind it). But does this mean third party apps might run better now similar to the core apps?

2) Has Microsoft announced any changes to the multitasking behaviour? I hate that every time I tap the whatsapp tile, or I tap a toast for a whatsapp message, it takes 9 secs to load. Why does it reload the app even tho it?s running already? I tried to get used to using the multitasking screen, but having to hold down back for a second, swipe to the left (btw this is a pretty stupid design showing only one app?s thumbnail at a time), then tap whatsapp , and even then the app still shows me a ?Resuming?? page for a few seconds. I realise Whatsapp is a particularly bad example but all third party apps on my phone are like this. Again, do we know if MS is planning to fix/change this?

Most of my tech stuff is with MS now and i really dont want to have to deal with iTunes again, but seeing how apps seem to load in split second on an iphone and how polished they are, I am tempted to buy another one.

Whatsapp, Fuse (sometimes Pulse), Weather Master, Guardian, London 2012 recently, FB, TuneIn radio, Mixtape, an Australian bank app, a local real estate app, Twitter, Endomondo, Tripview, IMDB, Line (convinced a bunch of my friends to switch to this as whatsapp was pissing me off... but still it's not much better), etc etc

Thanks!

1) I have a different experience with apps. It all depends on the developers skills in coding. Alot of 3rd party apps I have do in fact run almost as stable as the native functionality.

2) Same here depends on the developers skill, if coded correctly you shouldn't even see the resuming screen at all. 3rd party apps also don't run in the background on iOS.

WP8 should give devs even more tools to build apps and native code but as said by others if the dev isn't good then there's nothing MS can really do.

anon(4323243)

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
2) I don't think this has been confirmed officially yet, but from what I understand (and as MS is touting the WP8 multitasking as "real") apps will be able to run in the background and this will fix the issue you described and apps will launch instantly when they are already running in the background.

Thanks for this. Hopefully this is true of WP8. I think this will be enough for me to stick around as I also really want to try out the Nokia hardware.

PS: are you seriously complaining about having to wait 9 sec? :straight::dry:straight:

I re-read my post and given it's my first on the forum i realise it's quite negative. Dont get me wrong - I do think the WP OS is great... the best UI design around, i like the integration with services, so on.

But the 9 sec really does annoy me:p Agreed for something like a news reader which I might load up once on a bus trip, the 9 seconds I can live with. But for something like a messaging app where I might be opening it up 50 times a day, the 9 seconds every time does add up.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. Hopefully this is true of WP8. I think this will be enough for me to stick around as I also really want to try out the Nokia hardware.

I re-read my post and given it's my first on the forum i realise it's quite negative. Dont get me wrong - I do think the WP OS is great... the best UI design around, i like the integration with services, so on.

But the 9 sec really does annoy me:p Agreed for something like a news reader which I might load up once on a bus trip, the 9 seconds I can live with. But for something like a messaging app where I might be opening it up 50 times a day, the 9 seconds every time does add up.

I only use a couple of the apps from your list, but I don't really notice a problem with scrolling. Yes, some apps do take a while to resume, but as was said earlier that is more of a problem with the developer coding them properly. Holding the back button, swiping over and selecting an app should allow it to open up to the same point you left it, if it takes nine seconds it is probably completely starting over, which isn't how it is supposed to work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster