Samsung takes it on the chin. Owes Apple $1.05 billion.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It should also be noted that the jury found that Apple did not infringe on Samsung's patents. I bet, if given the chance, Samsung would do it all over again. They've made way more money off Android then what they'll lose from this court case.

Samsung found guilty of most patent-infringement charges from Apple. Fined $1 billion. | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

With a slow day suddenly getting very exciting, the jury-verdict for the Apple versus Samsung case is just coming in over the wires.

Like the trial itself, things are quite complicated as the verdict is spread over various devices, including the Captivate, Continuum, Showcase, Gem, Indulge, Infuse 4G, Mesmerize, Vibrant, Galaxy Tab and others.

What is clear though is this: Samsung has been found guilty on almost all counts with only a few device exceptions. Surprisingly, the Tab 10.1 did not violate Apple?s patents in regards to the iPad, which is a somewhat unexpected finding seeing has it has been found to do so by other courts.

Meanwhile, Samsung was not able to prevail on any of its claims of patent violations by Apple?a seemingly crushing blow. In addition, Samsung was found to have purposefully attempted to confuse consumers with their designs, a finding of intentional (as opposed to accidental) patent infringement.

The jury just awarded Apple $1.05 billion in damages.

How this will affect Windows Phone will of interest to our readers. It certainly will have ramifications for the industry as a whole, including Android, what Samsung chooses to do next, innovation away from Apple designs and perhaps OEMs getting behind a more ?protected? OS from Microsoft. Microsoft (and Windows Phone) are not targets by Apple as both companies have cross-licensing agreements in place, ensuring that our devices should be in the clear of any patent claims.

One thing that is clear right now: things are looking very bad for Samsung with these jury decisions.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I am not shocked too much though I am surprised Judge Koh didn't render any of Apple's patents as invalid however Samsung I do not think did a very good job making a case why they should be. This will probably go to appeals anyways and I am curious to see what exactly was on the jurors survey sheets it will be very interesting reading it. Apple had it easy though they just had to argue how the look of the iPhone is patented and was being violated and Samsung had to argue the technical patents being taken by Apple, which in my eyes is harder to convince a jury of. They would have been better off doing a separate case.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Now a Korean court will find Apple in violation of patent infringement and order Apple to pay Samsung $2 billion dollars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss