Nokia 820 VS Samsung ATIV s

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I want to know which of the designs do you prefer

I will go first and say that to me the ATIV s is way more appealing, it has the premium look, it is thinner than most phones and you can remove the battery. To me... the Lumia 820 is an improved Lumia 900... which is not that bad, but does it compete? I don't know, it's up to you, some may like it, personally I don't, but here's what's nice about tastes.

Now I don't want any insults here, I just want you guys to debate in a polite way, if any debate there is.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I do find there is a lot of appeal to a phone using metal vs plastic but Nokia apps are appealing too...

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the 920 design. I don't know if that's even real though.

But I also see the appeal of the ATIV. It does look more like a business phone. (Though the black and silver 920s could be professional looking also.) It's also incredibly light. For people who put that as a priority, it definitely makes sense.

I just personally want a little more personality in my handset.

Zerveone

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I'd say most of samsung phones looks the same to me. Especially galaxy series with its slightly curved edges (hope it's not too harsh but most of samsung phones look like soap dishes for me :/). Wave series is a difference, positive one. Especially Wave 8500. That black diamond looks nice.

It's plain boring. I know it's hard to make an innovative design for a smartphone, because it has to be functional (so screen should cover as much frontal surface as possible) but in this case, Lumia 800 (with it's curved glass) is far superior in case of design to any phone i saw. Nokia really thinks outside the box in this case. Hope they surprise us again.
By design i understand overal shape of a smartphone, not materials used to produce it. Aluminium is nice, but it influences reception.
Please don't stick me a "Nokia ******" sticker, i had 2 samsung phones before. Lumia just looks much different.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the 920 design. I don't know if that's even real though.

But I also see the appeal of the ATIV. It does look more like a business phone. (Though the black and silver 920s could be professional looking also.) It's also incredibly light. For people who put that as a priority, it definitely makes sense.

I just personally want a little more personality in my handset.
It is true that having the choice between a lot of different colours is appealing, it makes it more personal, but do you think that Nokia could have done a better job in terms of design for the 820?

I intentionally left the 920 aside since nothing is proven yet, there is no official pictures from Nokia.

Last edited:

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd say most of samsung phones looks the same to me. Especially galaxy series with its slightly curved edges (hope it's not too harsh but most of samsung phones look like soap dishes for me :/). Wave series is a difference, positive one. Especially Wave 8500. That black diamond looks nice.

It's plain boring. I know it's hard to make an innovative design for a smartphone, because it has to be functional (so screen should cover as much frontal surface as possible) but in this case, Lumia 800 (with it's curved glass) is far superior in case of design to any phone i saw. Nokia really thinks outside the box in this case. Hope they surprise us again.
By design i understand overal shape of a smartphone, not materials used to produce it. Aluminium is nice, but it influences reception.
Please don't stick me a "Nokia ******" sticker, i had 2 samsung phones before. Lumia just looks much different.
I see what you mean, but the ATIV is to me, well designed, it not so far from the GIII, but you can see that they have put more effort in the ATIV than they did with most of their recent phones.

I'm just not a fan of the minimalistic approach that Nokia is taking, I think it suited well with WP7 since the OS was minimalist, but with WP8 I thought they would come up with something stunning.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It is true that having the choice between a lot of different colours is appealing, it makes more personal, but do you think that Nokia could have done a better job in terms of design for the 820?

I intentionally left the 920 aside since nothing is proven yet, there is no official pictures from Nokia.

Ah. Didn't notice that.

I'd probably get the ATIV above the 820 just because it is likely Samsung's flagship phone for WP8, while the 820 isn't Nokia's flagship.

But then again, I don't know the specs for the 820 yet.

If the specs are equal, then I may get the 820 just because I want some color and durability to my phone.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Ah. Didn't notice that.

I'd probably get the ATIV above the 820 just because it is likely Samsung's flagship phone for WP8, while the 820 isn't Nokia's flagship.

But then again, I don't know the specs for the 820 yet.

If the specs are equal, then I may get the 820 just because I want some color and durability to my phone.
I don't think that durability is that much of a big deal since most of us are not going to keep the phone forever... generally a year or two and it's outdated.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think that durability is that much of a big deal since most of us are not going to keep the phone forever... generally a year or two and it's outdated.

I keep my phones because I pass them down to other people when I'm done with them.

And the fact that it's mobile just leaves it open to accidents.

Admittedly, my phones experience far less trauma nowadays than they did when I was younger. I used to completely abuse my phones. They'd fall all the time because I didn't put them in the most solid places. I'd toss them onto a table when I got home. They were just tools that had to be able to take a beating.

That's why I have so many good memories of Nokia. They make tanks.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I keep my phones because I pass them down to other people when I'm done with them.

And the fact that it's mobile just leaves it open to accidents.

Admittedly, my phones experience far less trauma nowadays than they did when I was younger. I used to completely abuse my phones. They'd fall all the time because I didn't put them in the most solid places. I'd toss them onto a table when I got home. They were just tools that had to be able to take a beating.

That's why I have so many good memories of Nokia. They make tanks.
True, but I don't think they are as tough as they used to be, seriously I don't see them surviving a drop more than any other smartphone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
True, but I don't think they are as tough as they used to be, seriously I don't see them surviving a drop more than any other smartphone.

Possible.

But the track record is great. Their durability testing is almost maniacal. More importantly, my personal experience with them has bern great.bThey have my trust for now.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Possible.

But the track record is great. Their durability testing is almost maniacal. More importantly, my personal experience with them has bern great.bThey have my trust for now.
I always had a samsung and I never been disappointed either, I am not one to toss my phone on the table, I always take care of my electronic devices, but I understand that Nokia have built a solid reputation as for durability.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
By the Time I buy my next device they will have been on market for a while. I will be able to get a hands on feel before I purchase.

Has Actual Size of phone itself is a deal maker for me since I have small hands. Trying to working a phone with a large display can be hard.

The ATIV S with it 4.8 is Huge, Titan II was hard for me to hold and work one handed.

A Display in 4.3 Range if pushing it for my small hands but workable.

So Nokia 820 is peaking my interest. The Design and Colors for Sure.

We Will Know Next Week for sure about Nokia's if not sooner..

But I have yet to see the Samsung Macro (Marco) Yet the Mid to Low End Phone.

or HTC Offering's , the Accord that showed up is on my list has well to watch..

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really looked at the leaked images of Nokia's new phones, but I prefer the looks of the Lumia 900 over the Galaxy S3 and the Ativ. I'm not going to make any judgements on any of them until I play with them in the store. How it fits in the hand is important to me. Hopefully the Nokia offerings will be slim like the Ativ. My hands aren't big so the thin phones are easier for me to handle in the 4.7 inch size.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I haven't really looked at the leaked images of Nokia's new phones, but I prefer the looks of the Lumia 900 over the Galaxy S3 and the Ativ. I'm not going to make any judgements on any of them until I play with them in the store. How it fits in the hand is important to me. Hopefully the Nokia offerings will be slim like the Ativ. My hands aren't big so the thin phones are easier for me to handle in the 4.7 inch size.
I understand that, If I had small hands the ATIV would not be the fit for me, hopefuly I am quite tall, so to me a small screen makes it harder for me, I need a larger device in order to appreciate it. That's why I stay away from the iPhone, it is too small....

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
In fact... I was thinking about switching back to Android since they made a huge step up with Ice cream sandwich in terms of stability and the ATIV for is keeping the interest to see what WP8 might be... To be honest... Windows Phone is getting boring, it lacking in so many ways... I hope WP8 is better, because WP7.5 was not that great...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Nokia it is for me too. Samsung is Samsung in the end. Cheap and plasticy.
Nokia is exactly what comes to mind when u think of WP.
Vibrant, simple, cool, elegant and young.

HTC isn't bad too. They make stylish phones and I love their designs. Their devices have a certain sheen, a certain shine which Sammy lacks (and won't ever have).

So, Nokia it is.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
In fact... I was thinking about switching back to Android since they made a huge step up with Ice cream sandwich in terms of stability and the ATIV for is keeping the interest to see what WP8 might be... To be honest... Windows Phone is getting boring, it lacking in so many ways... I hope WP8 is better, because WP7.5 was not that great...

actually Wp8 brings a lot of improvements. so it's best to wait first. the difference between wp7.5 and wp8 are enormous. you see the reason why they separated the developer conference and the Consumer conference. also you're not gonna see many android phones made any more. because the samsung vs apple case is effecting other OEMs except Moto

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I understand that, If I had small hands the ATIV would not be the fit for me, hopefuly I am quite tall, so to me a small screen makes it harder for me, I need a larger device in order to appreciate it. That's why I stay away from the iPhone, it is too small....

I'm using an HTC Rezound with an extended battery and otterbox, my wife's iphone feels like a toy now. I am tempted by the Galaxy Note 2, but I think that will be too big for me to use, but I'll check it out if it comes to Verizon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb