Nokia 820 VS Samsung ATIV s

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
From the pictures alone, I prefer the Lumia 920 to the Ativ.

But I also remember how good the Samsung Galaxy S3 looked in real life (Never liked when I saw the pictures).

Xaphoon148

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
the Ativ looks great, but are not very happy with the home-button.
But think I'm a bit more for the Lumia, there's just something to it :)
Just saw the new maybe to come htc to.... Like it :)
Argh... Can't afford them all...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
the Ativ looks great, but are not very happy with the home-button.
But think I'm a bit more for the Lumia, there's just something to it :)
Just saw the new maybe to come htc to.... Like it :)
Argh... Can't afford them all...
I know that feel, if I could buy them all I'd be less picky

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the two Nokia phones much more than the Samsung Ativ. The Samsung phone is too similar to the galaxy s3 which is too big, and too light. This seems to be a sum sung problem.

I like my phones to have weight. It makes me feel like my phone is more durable, and comfortable. I like the feel of the lumia 900 and it seems like the Nokia phones will have a similar feel, albeit the 920 is a touch too big for my taste, and skinny jeans. I very well may settle for the 820.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Lumia still looks like a Lumia but also looks different. Its vibrant and young. My only confusion is which colour??

I did ask around and a couple of girls in my office said white phone for a guy kinda looks weird..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I like the two Nokia phones much more than the Samsung Ativ. The Samsung phone is too similar to the galaxy s3 which is too big, and too light. This seems to be a sum sung problem.

I like my phones to have weight. It makes me feel like my phone is more durable, and comfortable. I like the feel of the lumia 900 and it seems like the Nokia phones will have a similar feel, albeit the 920 is a touch too big for my taste, and skinny jeans. I very well may settle for the 820.
Well big and light is not a problem and it's also thin. What I don't like about Nokia is the thickness, their phones are big, I don't might it to be heavier, but I prefer large phones to be thin as they feel more comfortable. I guess it's relative to the user.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Lumia still looks like a Lumia but also looks different. Its vibrant and young. My only confusion is which colour??

I did ask around and a couple of girls in my office said white phone for a guy kinda looks weird..

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

You know what's weird? Is a dude choosing a phone's color based on something besides his own personal preference. If you want a white phone, buy it and rock it. Don't worry about the haters; haters gonna hate.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I wouldn't own white, because I don't like how old/grungy they get after a while, but I'm a straight guy and if I want to rock a magenta Lumia, !@#$ you and your negative opinions! (Clarification though, I want the new red 920 color... it had BETTER be coming to AT&T.)

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. I wouldn't own white, because I don't like how old/grungy they get after a while, but I'm a straight guy and if I want to rock a magenta Lumia, !@#$ you and your negative opinions! (Clarification though, I want the new red 920 color... it had BETTER be coming to AT&T.)
I am straight too, and I gotta admit, it is very tempting to put the tiles pink every time that I switch colour.

gr8nico

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung done it again!!

I cannot believe that Samsung has done it once again!! Especially after rather "pocket biting" lawsuit.
Personally I think that Samsun ATIV may be a great and powerful devise. But so what if from the front you can't see anything different than an iPhone 3G with square button. From the back however they gave it a bit of a twist making it look like previous HTC handset.
I will speak only for myself and ask - where is your creativity Samsung? Didn't you learn your lesson yet? We all love our windows phones and personally I can't wait for more devices to be released but so far I'm disappointed and gutted with lack of design personality from Samsung.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I cannot believe that Samsung has done it once again!! Especially after rather "pocket biting" lawsuit.
Personally I think that Samsun ATIV may be a great and powerful devise. But so what if from the front you can't see anything different than an iPhone 3G with square button. From the back however they gave it a bit of a twist making it look like previous HTC handset.
I will speak only for myself and ask - where is your creativity Samsung? Didn't you learn your lesson yet? We all love our windows phones and personally I can't wait for more devices to be released but so far I'm disappointed and gutted with lack of design personality from Samsung.
well at least it's a completely different design and look from S3 but the same style for a note

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow. And that is your FIRST post!!! (Welcome, by the way!! Love the fact you jumped right in. You are going to fit in well here on WP Central!!)

It is totally understandable opinion. But I am not sure that I agree. There are only so many ways to make a device look classy, and the iPhone does NOT have a right to them all. In the 60's muscle cars all kinda looked the same. Doesn't mean they didn't all look great. Doesn't mean they all ripped off one. No one ever sued because the front bumper was rounded.

Besides the Kyrocera Echo was full of personality. It was also one of the biggest flops of last year after a release party that included a three week build up and a magic act.

I will take function and classy. Samsung has delivered that. Nokia is at the plate next to show it's best swing at the ball (in some fun colors). HTC... your on deck.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
But so what if from the front you can't see anything different than an iPhone 3G with square button.

...it's true. From dead-on, ignoring the OS itself and the size difference, it's a dead ringer. The exact shape of the rounded rectangle, the chrome bezel, the bar-shaped speaker for the ear, and the single button at the bottom.

The last detail is perhaps the biggest give-away that the styling is intentionally derivative. If they wanted physical buttons, why aren't all three bottom buttons physical? If they wanted capacitative buttons, why isn't the home button at the bottom center physical? One physical button and two capacitative buttons is hard to justify from an ergonomic or an aesthetic perspective...unless you're trying to make it look more like a device that just has one button at the bottom.

Not worth suing over in my opinion, but still a disappointing lack of independent styling direction.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
...it's true. From dead-on, ignoring the OS itself and the size difference, it's a dead ringer. The exact shape of the rounded rectangle, the chrome bezel, the bar-shaped speaker for the ear, and the single button at the bottom.

The last detail is perhaps the biggest give-away that the styling is intentionally derivative. If they wanted physical buttons, why aren't all three bottom buttons physical? If they wanted capacitative buttons, why isn't the home button at the bottom center physical? One physical button and two capacitative buttons is hard to justify from an ergonomic or an aesthetic perspective...unless you're trying to make it look more like a device that just has one button at the bottom.

Not worth suing over in my opinion, but still a disappointing lack of independent styling direction.
Or an intentioned slap at the iPhone, as Microsoft and Apple have cross licencing agreements and cannot sue each others products, so.... why not cheap shot?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Or an intentioned slap at the iPhone, as Microsoft and Apple have cross licencing agreements and cannot sue each others products, so.... why not cheap shot?

Those cross-license agreements only cover the software, not trade dress issues with hardware. I doubt Apple would sue over hardware trade dress alone (they didn't sue over the Series 7 Chronos, the biggest ripoff of the MBP 15's styling I've ever seen), but technically speaking, they could if they want to.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The Ativ has no killer feature. Nokia's killer features are gorgeous design and PureView; if Nokia wasn't around, I'd be getting the next Nexus plain and simple. Samsung is not going to produce a better Windows Phone than its Android products.

Google's Nexus devices are hugely appealing for me, as I don't want to deal with Android's custom ROMs. Windows Mobile / Phone has actually been much better in that regard, as with Android you often lose functionality from running a ROM with the latest Android version.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I always had a samsung and I never been disappointed either, I am not one to toss my phone on the table, I always take care of my electronic devices, but I understand that Nokia have built a solid reputation as for durability.
One of my first mobile devices was a Nokia. I've never owned a Samsung device. though my monitor is a Samsung.I sort of like both the ATIVs is something that I could pull out at a meeting to me it's more refined more polished for the business end, where as the Lumia's are more laid-back lets have fun the 820 I'll have to see what it has for specs but being on T-MO the Sammy right now has the edge and with the new T-MO data plain you have to be insane to be on AT&T

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The Ativ has no killer feature. Nokia's killer features are gorgeous design and PureView...

Actually, that's one of the factors that I appreciate about Windows systems. Despite the flood of style differences, the predictability of what's included is still there. Average Joe Consumer prefers predictability and consistency.

That leaves flashy designs and killer features as the stand-out options, and Nokia does have that for now. Hopefully with Apple and Nokia pressuring them, they will step it up a notch next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster