Nokia 820 VS Samsung ATIV s

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Samsung released a great phone, really similar in specs to the S3 and the design is different despite the fact that it's a 4.8" screen too... stop b*tching on samsung just because apple is greedy and you suddenly got behind apple because every move they made was favouring Windows Phone...

Of course I'm on the Apple side against Samsung (and I don't even like Apple)! I wouldn't need to be if Samsung wasn't so supportive of Android. I don't mind Samsung being the number 1 smartphone seller in the world as long as they don't achieve that with Android.

Would you like to know my other biased opinions?

1) I don't hate Google, but I don't like the fact that they are in the mobileOS world, they should have stayed as a search engine / google ads / google maps / gmail... whatever the h*ll they were doing 6 or 7 years ago...

2) I don't like Apple with iOS but I still preffer them to Android.

3) I don't like or dislike Samsung, I honnestly don't care about them... but as they lately are being so supportive of android, which I hate, I can't support them too.

4) I like Nokia and I like Microsoft. I also like HTC and I think this is the right moment for them to jump ship from android to WP8 as their priority.

5) I know I'm biased and I don't give a d*mn about what people think about it.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Of course I'm on the Apple side against Samsung (and I don't even like Apple)! I wouldn't need to be if Samsung wasn't so supportive of Android. I don't mind Samsung being the number 1 smartphone seller in the world as long as they don't achieve that with Android.

Would you like to know my other biased opinions?

1) I don't hate Google, but I don't like the fact that they are in the mobileOS world, they should have stayed as a search engine / google ads / google maps / gmail... whatever the h*ll they were doing 6 or 7 years ago...

2) I don't like Apple with iOS but I still preffer them to Android.

3) I don't like or dislike Samsung, I honnestly don't care about them... but as they lately are being so supportive of android, which I hate, I can't support them too.

4) I like Nokia and I like Microsoft. I also like HTC and I think this is the right moment for them to jump ship from android to WP8 as their priority.

5) I know I'm biased and I don't give a d*mn about what people think about it.
Why do you hate Android? Every OS is unique and every OS is good at something that the others are not... Android is winning right now, because they provided a great OS... don't get me wrong I love Windows Phone, but at the moment... WP is far far behind...

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Samsung makes great devices, some of you might not like the design, but at the end, every Samsung device is seriously well made and their hardware are innovative, people tend to forget that.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Why do you hate Android? Every OS is unique and every OS is good at something that the others are not... Android is winning right now, because they provided a great OS... don't get me wrong I love Windows Phone, but at the moment... WP is far far behind...

1) I think it's a really boring OS that just plays safe. It's formula is the same that symbian has used over the last decade and that iOS perfected. Nothing really new.

2) Second, its success and increasing user base was supported by low prices and not actual quality. You had to wait since 2008 for android to become a fluid OS, and not even Jelly Bean makes it perfect.

3) The OS is not well optimized for most phone specs. You need a beast phone in order to run the OS smoothly. Other OSs can have the same fluidity with much lower specs.

4) Carriers install too much bloatware on Android. It's annoying.

5) OS is more and more fragmented but I'll not not about that here as WP seems to suffer of the same problem.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Android is successful for one reason... they took the Windows PC approach to design and development... build it and release it quick using the cheapest components you can find, and underpower it so they'll want to upgrade to the high end devices. And load it up with lots of crap to subsidize the cost.

And we wonder why the high end stuff is so successful... people are sick of that nonsense. There's a reason the Apple tax doesn't bother Apple customers.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Android is successful for one reason... they took the Windows PC approach to design and development... build it and release it quick using the cheapest components you can find, and underpower it so they'll want to upgrade to the high end devices. And load it up with lots of crap to subsidize the cost.

And we wonder why the high end stuff is so successful... people are sick of that nonsense. There's a reason the Apple tax doesn't bother Apple customers.
But specs are important on windows phone too, it's not that quick, my girlfriend has a Galaxy S3 and I have Titan II. If I had to compare, S3 is superior on many aspects, this is why I can't wait to get a WP8 device, just playing around with the S3 is a great experience, I hope WP8 has that feel because as much as I like the Galaxy S3, I wouldn't switch to Android when I know that WP8 is near.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I guess this thread is dead. The 920 vs ATIV s would have made a better match up, but since Nokia is keeping the design secret we'll have to wait.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
820's design hands down. If the camera is on par with the iPhone 4S / Galaxy S3 and it's a 720p screen, I'm sold.

Samsung makes great devices, some of you might not like the design, but at the end, every Samsung device is seriously well made and their hardware are innovative, people tend to forget that.
I doubt any phone on the market would fall apart with my usage, so I really don't care. HTC, Nokia and Apple create perfectly solid devices, so Samsung really has no advantage in having their devices "well made" for the wider population (heck, many carry around glass iPhones - you really think they care?).

Innovative hardware? What have they done recently? All I can think of is them pushing an over-saturated version of AMOLED onto everyone, and now they've hit a brick wall with PenTile.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
820's design hands down. If the camera is on par with the iPhone 4S / Galaxy S3 and it's a 720p screen, I'm sold.

I doubt any phone on the market would fall apart with my usage, so I really don't care. HTC, Nokia and Apple create perfectly solid devices, so Samsung really has no advantage in having their devices "well made" for the wider population (heck, many carry around glass iPhones - you really think they care?).

Innovative hardware? What have they done recently? All I can think of is them pushing an over-saturated version of AMOLED onto everyone, and now they've hit a brick wall with PenTile.
Well If I had to compare all the androids, iPhones and Windows Phones, I could easily come to the conclusion that samsung made the best devices... plastic devices, but better.

geekmaster

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
lumia 820>ATIV S hands down
  • Support
  • exclusive nokia apps
  • durability
  • antenna quality
  • design
  • clearblack display
  • higher ppi
  • better resell value
  • WAY cheaper prices unlocked than top of the line samsung smartphones
  • good audio quality and the chance of dobi mobile audio 5.1
  • It comes in way more colors than just grey
  • wireless charging

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
lumia 820>ATIV S hands down
  • Support
  • exclusive nokia apps
  • durability
  • antenna quality
  • design
  • clearblack display
  • higher ppi
  • better resell value
  • WAY cheaper prices unlocked than top of the line samsung smartphones
  • good audio quality and the chance of dobi mobile audio 5.1
  • It comes in way more colors than just grey
  • wireless charging
A lot of these are subjective, but everything is subjective anyway..

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Ive seen numerous times people referring to the Ativ as being metal, but it's totally that cheap but sturdy brushed metal Samsung plastic.

Give that molded poly carbonate pretty please. :)

I'm much rather have an HTC One with Windows Phone than the Ativ.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Ive seen numerous times people referring to the Ativ as being metal, but it's totally that cheap but sturdy brushed metal Samsung plastic.

Give that molded poly carbonate pretty please. :)

I'm much rather have an HTC One with Windows Phone than the Ativ.
CMF is not a cheap material, yes it is plastic, but generally they don't use it because it cost too much and is only used because it is a lighter material than regular plastic.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Well If I had to compare all the androids, iPhones and Windows Phones, I could easily come to the conclusion that samsung made the best devices... plastic devices, but better.
Yet you provide absolutely no rationale for your statement.

CMF is not a cheap material, yes it is plastic, but generally they don't use it because it cost too much and is only used because it is a lighter material than regular plastic.
Excuse me, but isn't CMF "colour material finish"? Are you a Samsung shill, or do you know something I don't?

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Yet you provide absolutely no rationale for your statement.

Excuse me, but isn't CMF "colour material finish"? Are you a Samsung shill, or do you know something I don't?

What's up with the aggression?? You don't HAVE to behave like your name do you??
People are calmly putting their opinions forward...we if u have a counter-point share it. Don't shove it.

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
If you are on US T-MO the ATIV s is the way to go of your looking for high end. As Nokia doesn't put high end on anything but AT&T I own a few Lumia 710 devices because of T-MO but Sammy is placing a very nice device there i'm getting it.

maplewebb

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I want to know which of the designs do you prefer

I will go first and say that to me the ATIV s is way more appealing, it has the premium look, it is thinner than most phones and you can remove the battery. To me... the Lumia 820 is an improved Lumia 900... which is not that bad, but does it compete? I don't know, it's up to you, some may like it, personally I don't, but here's what's nice about tastes.

Now I don't want any insults here, I just want you guys to debate in a polite way, if any debate there is.

In fact, I like both of them, including the HTC Windows Phone, all of them are attractive for me. But I would prefer choose Nokia Lumia as Nokia pay all the attention on the Windows phone. I hope Nokia can come back.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What's up with the aggression?? You don't HAVE to behave like your name do you??
People are calmly putting their opinions forward...we if u have a counter-point share it. Don't shove it.
There wasn't anything explicitly aggressive in my statements. The content might have been provocative, but that's about it. I'd be welcome to have a reasonable debate over Samsung's build quality vs the rest, but don't you think there's something about this Simon fellow that doesn't seem quite right? I just cut to the chase; if he gets an answer out and disproves me, good on him!

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

Because they provide a great Os or because they match closely to iPhone apps and are widely available at every price point? Don't get me wrong, 4.0 and up is great , but I doubt most consumers buy it cause it is a "great Os"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)