Nokia 820 VS Samsung ATIV s

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Although cheap feeling, I've always felt that Samsung's phone were durable. My original Focus has had a rough life, but its still chugging along.

Either way, the Ativ is not metal, its plastic, it just is painted to look metal, which is weird.

I'm going to steer clear of Samsungs offerings. I know I would rather have something by Nokia or even possibly what HTC offers.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Although cheap feeling, I've always felt that Samsung's phone were durable. My original Focus has had a rough life, but its still chugging along.

Either way, the Ativ is not metal, its plastic, it just is painted to look metal, which is weird.

I'm going to steer clear of Samsungs offerings. I know I would rather have something by Nokia or even possibly what HTC offers.
Metal would interfere with the signal, HTC, Nokia, Motorola... none of these use metal except for aluminum but I never seen any of these companies use much of it...

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Metal would interfere with the signal, HTC, Nokia, Motorola... none of these use metal except for aluminum but I never seen any of these companies use much of it...

Nokia N8, Anodised aluminium monocoque case available in silver white, dark grey, orange, blue, green and pink

images

images

Nokia E7, Anodised aluminium casing available in: Dark grey, Silver white, Blue, Green and Orange

images

Edit. Also Nokia's premium brand Vertu uses Platinium, stainless steel, gold, Liquidmetal and surgical stainless steel

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I've own several samsung phones and I never ever had a problem with any of these phones, they were durable and lag free, their android devices are fast and fluid even when android was not so great..
The Galaxy S was awful without the lag fix, and the Galaxy SII has a laggy lock screen.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
there are no facts to support your opinion as truth

I've own several samsung phones and I never ever had a problem with any of these phones, they were durable and lag free, their android devices are fast and fluid even when android was not so great..

That's your own personal experience. I am looking for things to back your statements. Otherwise, it's not an across the board experience.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
And the Lumia was not better before the lag fix...

Uh.. what lag fix?

My Lumia hasn't had any lag since day one, and every POS Android still does with the possible exception of Jellybean devices, which I haven't used yet. I literally just picked up a Galaxy S3 in BestBuy to play with it and it was lagging and dragging like a motherf'er. Supposed to the Android cat's meow and it's UI is still crap. My lowly single core Lumia 900 is glides like silk by comparison.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Why do you hate Android? Every OS is unique and every OS is good at something that the others are not... Android is winning right now, because they provided a great OS... don't get me wrong I love Windows Phone, but at the moment... WP is far far behind...

Android is "winning" because they entered the fray when Blackberry was sitting still and Apple was doing their thing, basically offering only a very specific premium product at a premium price. One model of phone, and only on one carrier for a long while. Thats it.

How could Android NOT "win"?

It has not a damn thing to do with the quality of the product, that is for certain because every version of Android up until Gingerbread was a pathetic joke. Gingerbread pretty well sucks too.

Google basically took an idea they stole from Apple while sitting right in Apple's boardroom, bought a company that had the foundation they needed then turned it into a Blackberry clone...until they saw the iPhone of course, then they rejiggered it quickly to be a fully touch screen OS. Though, unfortunately they didn't feel they had enough time to do it correctly, so they didn't bother to properly prioritize touch input in the core of the OS (which is why your lovely quad core super droids still lag like crap compared to a Windows Phone with a 2 yr old single core processor or an iPhone 3GS)

So don't kid yourself that Android "won" anything based on merit. The truth is, it's a sloppy mess of an OS. Most Android phones come out of the box packed with bloatware and graphical overlays and garbage software the average consumer cant even remove (unless you root or hack your phone). This leads to a crap user experience for many people, unless they buy a Nexus device, which is an improvement.

Overall, Android is mediocre at best from a usability, reliability and UI design standpoint. For the average user, it's still an inconsistent and often ugly jumble of crap and options no one every asked for. If you're a nerd who wants to tweak your phone and hack it and trouble shoot it, it's delightful, but that's not MOST people.

MOST people get Androids because an idiot droid-fan friend tells them too, because "Apple is gay" or because when they walk into the phone store there are 30 Android phones, 2 iphones and maybe 3 Windows phones there. If they can't afford or don't want an iPhone, they get an Android. They don't even know what a Windows Phone is, so 9/10 people who can't think for themselves just walk right past those.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Android is "winning" because they entered the fray when Blackberry was sitting still and Apple was doing their thing, basically offering only a very specific premium product at a premium price. One model of phone, and only on one carrier for a long while. Thats it.

It has not a damn thing to do with the quality of the product, that is for certain because every version of Android up until Gingerbread was a pathetic joke. Gingerbread pretty well sucks too.

Google basically took an idea they stole from Apple while sitting right in Apple's boardroom, bought a company that had the foundation they needed then turned it into a Blackberry clone...until they saw the iPhone of course, then they rejiggered it quickly to be a fully touch screen OS. Though, unfortunately they didn't feel they had enough time to do it correctly, so they didn't bother to properly prioritize touch input in the core of the OS (which is why your lovely quad core super droids still lag like crap compared to a Windows Phone with a 2 yr old single core processor or an iPhone 3GS)

So don't kid yourself that Android "won" anything based on merit. The truth is, it's a sloppy mess of an OS. Most Android phones come out of the box packed with bloatware and graphical overlays and garbage software the average consumer cant even remove (unless you root or hack your phone). This leads to a crap user experience for many people, unless they buy a Nexus device, which is an improvement.

Overall, Android is mediocre at best from a usability, reliability and UI design standpoint. For the average user, it's still an inconsistent and often ugly jumble of crap and options no one every asked for. If you're a nerd who wants to tweak your phone and hack it and trouble shoot it, it's delightful, but that's not MOST people.

MOST people get Androids because an idiot droid-fan friend tells them too, because "Apple is gay" or because when they walk into the phone store there are 30 Android phones, 2 iphones and maybe 3 Windows phones there. If they can't afford or don't want an iPhone, they get an Android. They don't even know what a Windows Phone is, so 9/10 people who can't think for themselves just walk right past those.
Since Ice cream Sandwich the OS is fluid... and GingerBread was not that bad...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

And add to that security. Android has THE most number of malware attacks as compared to iOS. And iOS security is a joke. An 18 year old kid could hack it.

But WP is faaaaar from it. WP is such a robust system, even Bill Gates himself can't hack into it. (Or maybe he can..but u get the point.)
I'm holding a "flagship" Droid in my hand. A phone that was forgotten as soon as it saw light of day. MotoCrapola very conveniently forgot all about it the day it was released. My friends who have bought this phone because of me are cursing me as there is no "official" update of ICS even today where the world has moves on to JB.

Anyways...the point is, yes Android has dual and quad cores and what not, BUT the system still lags. I can vouch for it.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Since Ice cream Sandwich the OS is fluid... and GingerBread was not that bad...

I used a Galaxy S3 literally last week. Does that not have ICS? Because that thing lagged about as bad as anything I've seen and Samsungs TouchWiz still looks like crap compared to WP and iOS. It looks like a Wal-Mart Chinese knockoff of an OS made by people with no taste who think the more sparkly colors and bullcrap you add the better.

Even plain vanilla Android was pretty atrocious up until ICS, which is the first version of Android that's not embarrassingly bad.

Unfortunately Android developers didn't get the memo that Android is trying not to look like dog poop now, so Android apps are still all over the place with their UI design. There is little consistency or sticking to a general theme or even quality control. It's just such an ugly mess I can't stand to use it. Every new app is like a damn guessing game. Different fonts, ugly poor design everywhere. Some apps are beautiful, but even those are still inconsistent with anything else. The jarring lack of continuity and consistency makes the whole user experience miserable IMO.

I actually noticed the same thing in Windows vs. the Mac a while back, albeit to a MUCH lesser degree. The Mac had(has) far fewer apps, but the quality and the consistency and adherence to certain UI guidelines and standards makes them so much more of a pleasure to use. This has thankfully improved a great deal in the last several years though, mainly since Microsoft decided to start giving a damn about the quality of the UI.

Windows 7, the Zune and Windows Phone provide ample evidence for the fact that there has been something of a revolution over at Microsoft--- they genuinely care about the art and science of good UI design now and the results are amazing. I was a lifelong Mac users and Windows-hater until these products came along and I saw that Microsoft finally "gets it"

On a Windows Phone, I can download any app and I instantly, intuitively know how to use it within seconds. The same is true for nearly any iOS app too.

Just MHO, but the wonderful "freedom" everyone touts about Android is a big part of what makes it a horrid mess that only a supergeek or something with the patients of Job can tolerate for long.

sukimtk

May 13, 2013
Visit site
ok now ppl this is about ativ s vs lumia 820!!!!!!
so stop going off topic plz :(
i am interested in both phones, ativ s is less expensive so i would like to ask you ppl wich 1 should i buy ???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos