So WHEN will we see the consumer features on WP8?

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
I made the mistake to think today we would have a better glance at WP8 but oh well, Joe Belfiore killed it anyway with the awesome photography features.

klynn

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I made the mistake to think today we would have a better glance at WP8 but oh well, Joe Belfiore killed it anyway with the awesome photography features.

This is the main thing I'm waiting for, information about the OS. WP7 is great but missing basic calendar & notification features that I really need. iPhone had everything I needed but I was bored by the experience. However, if WP8 doesn't address my issues I may need to switch back. I was hoping to get a better feel for it with this event. Another 2 months of waiting.......

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Maybe at BUILD?

I have a feeling that MS wants to see Apple's conference so they can set up the WP8 consumer features announcements to directly respond to what Apple shows.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe at BUILD?

I have a feeling that MS wants to see Apple's conference so they can set up the WP8 consumer features announcements to directly respond to what Apple shows.

it wont matter by then. Everyone who wants an iPhone5 will have one (ie 33% of the US market)

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
it wont matter by then. Everyone who wants an iPhone5 will have one (ie 33% of the US market)

Like it would matter more if things were announced today?

First of all, I don't think MS is out to steal Nokia's thunder. Today was about the 920 and 820.

Second, no matter what MS does or when it does it, the iPhone will still get all the hype it wants.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

well you got one thing right....he killed it. I'm so ****ing sick of seeing Link from Zelda take the stage and present NOTHING. Or stand up there and right away tell us what we're NOT going to see. Might as well say "just turn off the webcast, I've got nothing to show you"

Sad thing is, I think we've seen all the leaked functionality via the SDK.....and Microsoft doesn't know what to do about this.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Like it would matter more if things were announced today?

First of all, I don't think MS is out to steal Nokia's thunder. Today was about the 920 and 820.

Second, no matter what MS does or when it does it, the iPhone will still get all the hype it wants.

I don't know about that. I think it is already overhyped. We know what it looks like, we know what features it will have...there really isn't anything they can top with it. the only thing we dont know is how many millions it will sell.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Nokia could have announced the best phone imaginable but those who want iPhones would still buy them regardless of what was announced today.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft will probably show WP's features around the time that Nokia releases actual useful ship/pricing information on WP: "in the coming months." ;)

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
now I'm wondering if MS will drop a bombshell and delay WP8....I think something is amiss if they haven't announced ship dates for these things. You have to build and test the hardware after all and EOY is right around the corner.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft doesn't ship WP8 in October, they're done in mobile. If users cannot buy WP8 handsets by late October/early November at the latest, WP is done.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about that. I think it is already overhyped. We know what it looks like, we know what features it will have...there really isn't anything they can top with it. the only thing we dont know is how many millions it will sell.

I don't get how anyone could think anything related to WP is over hyped.

Hardly anyone knows anything about WP.

If anything, all of it is under hyped!

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Nokia could have announced the best phone imaginable but those who want iPhones would still buy them regardless of what was announced today.
But Nokia and Microsoft aren't doing anything to combat this. If they want to start changing this dynamic instead of continuing to concede it, they need to aggressively beat Apple at its own game. Announce the devices, carriers and pricing, and take preorders right away. Go big or go home.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft and Nokia seem to think that repeating the same failed strategy, over and over, will one day magically succeed.

I think their former dominance in their respective core businesses have hurt them badly. Microsoft isn't used to serious competition in the consumer OS space, so they're acting like Windows Phone is Windows on the desktop and they can have the same leeway that end users on PCs give them. And Nokia is acting like the same old slooooowwwwww player that used to say "everything is great, Symbian is on top, why worry?"

They should be acting like small, aggressive challengers, not big and slow lumbering giants who cannot get things together and integrated in time to compete.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually think Moto/Google didn't come off very good today either. They announced three new phones, but only the crappy cheep'o one has a release date, but all three are going to ship with ICS still.

It was a weird announcement day.... hurry up and show off our unfinished WP and Droid phones before you all forget about it when Apple announces.... weird indeed.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
my best guess on when WP8 drops?

Last week of October or first week of November.

I don't think they'll wait till Build 2012 because I believe that is at the end of November. Way too late.

WP7 came out the first week of November, I don't see WP8 going much later than that this year.

EDIT: Sorry, just found a more recent announcement that has build at October 30-November 2.

I see WP8 dropping no later than November 6.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea