So when will we see the grand innovation?

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I understand the news of the 920 and 820 is huge, but the lead up to this event was made to seem much more extravagant. Not bashing Nokia and im more than thrilled to get my hands on these new devices, yet I find myself wanting more? Is there nothing else? We have already seen the leaked Info of these devices, but i assured myself we didn't have the entire picture. They were no doubt gonna bring something else amazing to the table.

Am i the only one?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
A copy of my post from a VERY similar thread

I am excited for more and better devices, devices that should have been out with 7.5, but the event today just seemed to feel a Coen Brothers movie. I felt like things ended before we had all of the information.

I do wish that they didn't leak everything they did before hand. I think that is why a lot of us were like, "cool, what's next" as we already knew just about everything. Also, I think that is why we expected to see more.

The jabs a Samsung seem a little weak now...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why do the jabs at Samsung seem weak now?

Nokia showed wireless charging, camera improvements, exclusive apps, and accessories.

Nokia are working on the whole WP eco-system. Samsung just showed a nice piece of hardware.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Why do the jabs at Samsung seem weak now?

Nokia showed wireless charging, camera improvements, exclusive apps, and accessories.

Nokia are working on the whole WP eco-system. Samsung just showed a nice piece of hardware.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

I am not a Samsung fan by any means.

The jabs were a little surprising to begin with, but if you are going to do that be sure to bring something amazing and overwhelming to the table. To me, that didn't really happen. The device (920) is cool, but not cool enought to be calling out another company as Nokia did. I expected more.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
From the reports of people who are there playing with them. It is a game changer.

Yep. People said the same thing about the Palm Pre at CES 2009. I was there.

No shipping dates, carriers nor pricing meant no consumer interest nor sales back then, and it will mean the same today.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Just wow.

You guys are acting like spoiled little children at Christmas

-Dual core processor - what else you got?
-Wireless charging - what else you got?
-4.3" screen - what else you got?
-32gb expansion card capability? 32? That's not enough. What else you got?

You have a multitude of choices here. Pick one:
-Get a Nokia.
-Get a Samsung
-Get a device from another vendor

But wait...You say you hate WP8 now as well? Good news! Even more choices!
-iPhone 5
-Android Jellybean
-BlackBerry
-Symbian
And all the hardware choices that go with the above.

Rejoice! The world is your oyster!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually, we don't even have any of those specs. We have some pretty prototypes that Nokia hasn't priced or announced carriers/shipping dates for.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You guys are funny. The high quality much photos (without flash) is amazing innovation by itself.

I suppose you're all waiting for the phone that teleports you anywhere you want to go.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The new camera, wireless charging and super sensitive touch are enough for me. What I don't understand is the people who don't understand how nice wireless charging really is. Next to the card view, it's the feature I miss most from my Pre. Yeah, you can buy a bulky aftermarket case that adds wireless charging, but did I mention the bulk it adds when not baked in?

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This crop of WP8 phones is starting to remind me exactly of the first crop of WP7 devices. Each phone had something that made it desireable but was an incomplete package. This time around I think the ATIV S comes closest to being the complete package, save the fancy camera which up until now wasn't that big of a deal....and still may not be that big of a deal if the optics are on par with whatever iOS thing comes out next week. If Samsung is decent on pricing the ATIV S could steal Nokia's thunder.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung is decent on pricing the ATIV S could steal Nokia's thunder.

I'd go a step further. If HTC doesn't deliver and Samsung gets pricing and availability right in the next few weeks, I'd wager that the ATIV S will be Windows Phone's last chance at relevance.

It took Nokia five months to ship the Lumia 900 from announcement to AT&T availability. And that was with Windows Phone 7.5 being complete and the hardware being a lot simpler. If they stick with that timeline this time, the new Lumias will ship in February of 2013, around the BlackBerry 10 launch. It's that bad.

Consumers won't care how cool Nokia's handsets are if they're not available, on their carrier, at competitive prices, around the time that the new Apple and Android devices hit.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree, bmiller if they pull the same stunt with the 920 as they did with the 900 (waiting for forever to release the daggum thing) then it won't be good at all.

However, did Nokia have a big unveiling like this for the 900? I don't remember it being this 'big,' but I could be wrong.

Though, I think most of people's lukewarm feeling to this unveiling is the fact that we received a lot of the information before hand, and the presenters - especially the woman - we're not as exciteable as many would have liked. Though, I liked Belfiore's spot and the guy who came on after him. But, that woman was a snore...

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, no prices on the phone is understandable I guess. No release date window, I can survive. WP8 secrecy this close to supposed launch, I'm confused as to why at this point. iOS is done, Jellybean is out, and you are supposedly launching in the pretty near future.

Launches like this suck , I want more real info and I also do not want to wait months for the device. I bet Apple ships almost immediately. I bet Amazon will ship the kindle same day as launch when they announce whatever tomorrow.

OK, I'll go even easier on them, how about prices on the announced accessories, the JBL speakers and such. What the heck could that hurt? Unless they are stupid expensive, then I suppose I understand as I will care less about something I'll never ever purchase.

I still want the Lumia, but I'm not dying for it now. I have seen nothing yet I have to have, and that includes WP8. Not a single feature have I seen that I actually need. I keep hoping to be surprised, by something amazingly mind blowing and I keep getting let down. Was hoping for the "one more thing" of Apple today when MS came out or something, but no. We'd seen it all, and we were still wanting more.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys are funny. The high quality much photos (without flash) is amazing innovation by itself.

I suppose you're all waiting for the phone that teleports you anywhere you want to go.

Agreed. Don't forget the improvement onto the LCD. Clear black, adaptive glare, sensitive touch for gloves, increased response time, how are those not innovative?

Sometimes it's in the details and I'm glad Nokia is looking there to push their phones forward.

ltyarbro42

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Look, I understand how cool we in the tech world think these specs are, and I am no exception. What I meant originally is true innovation. We have all seen big screens and faster processors, that isn't necessarily innovation. I think in the tech world we have sort of lost sight of this. We are stuck in a more processors, bigger square touch screen, rut.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Being able to use a capacitive touch screen with a big honking glove/mitten, for us folks in the north, is pretty darn good innovation.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, doing this without flash isn't true innovation?

OIS.jpg

Stabilizing images by making the entire camera assembly "float" within the device instead of just depending on software isn't true innovation?

Yeah, the phone doesn't cook you breakfast. But come on... these improvements aren't exactly small. They're huge.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Look, I understand how cool we in the tech world think these specs are, and I am no exception. What I meant originally is true innovation. We have all seen big screens and faster processors, that isn't necessarily innovation. I think in the tech world we have sort of lost sight of this. We are stuck in a more processors, bigger square touch screen, rut.

Out of curiosity what would you rather have seen hardware wise?
Thin and light is the same kind of rut. So is increased ppi.
Better call quality? audio quality?
Water resistant coating? (that would've put it over the top today)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss