Did MS drop the ball?

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
So the big Nokia event is over so now I have to wonder did MS and to a smaller extent Nokia (Because apparently their futures are pretty intertwined) drop the ball?

Since we know MS is heavily involved with Nokia and this will likely be a flagship launch device series shouldn't MS have given people more stuff to get excited about instead of...new camera filters? I mean really? More Nokia time exclusive apps? yay. You can take screenshots and tweet them. Woohoo. This should have been the event where MS would be like "Here is the killer Windows Phone 8 feature and why you need a Windows Phone 8 device and here is our premier OEM who will show you how they took advantage of it"

This close to launch and you guys can't even say you are going to have a phone available October 29th when Windows Phone 8 is officially launched what the heck is the point of the launch then!? I feel like they have no idea what they are doing and are busy bumbling around clueless about how to launch something and garner interest. By the time "Sometime Q4 at some price on some carrier" rolls around after the deluge of how many records the iPhone 5 launch broke will anyone care anymore?

Don't even get me started on the Motorola event which Google/Motorola thumbed their nose at MS and basically said "And all our phones get Jellybean or we will give you $100"

So what do you think did MS/Nokia really drop the ball today or was it exactly what you expected and nothing to worry about and I am being wound up for no real good reason?

Last edited:

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I say would up for good reason. This makes no sense for a company that only has 4% of the market.

The next google nexus phone will be out in the fall and the new iPhone will be also.

This is not the way you outflank iOS/Android.

#PaperLaunch

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I seen on WPC that elop was saying that all of WP8 would be shown today. I didn't see much. That was the only letdown for me.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

ewinxp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, both Microsoft and Nokia dropped the ball. They announced too soon and unveiled devices that are not impressive. They won't be available for two months, repeating the mistake of the Microsoft Surface announcement.

To top it off Google announces that there are 1.3 million Android devices activated every day. Probably more Android phone activated in a month than Windows Phones sold since 2010:shocked:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
This was a Nokia event plain and simple not the WP8 launch. What we needed to see today was what Nokia brings to the table and that is what we got. Microsoft has many WP partners it would have been wrong for them to discuss WP8 features at this event.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
This was a Nokia event plain and simple not the WP8 launch. What we needed to see today was what Nokia brings to the table and that is what we got. Microsoft has many WP partners it would have been wrong for them to discuss WP8 features at this event.

It may be officially a Nokia event but with Steve Ballmer there I don't think for a second MS didn't have a significant role to play. And despite the fact the features they announced were...lacking to say the least if they didn't want to offend OEM partners why would they have announced anything? Everyone knows that Nokia is WP flagship partner, and they are contributing back to the platform. Everyone also knows that whatever Nokia announced today would inevitably be tied back into Windows Phone and its future the same cannot be siad of any other partner because no one else has gone all in with Windows Phone.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It may be officially a Nokia event but with Steve Ballmer there I don't think for a second MS didn't have a significant role to play. And despite the fact the features they announced were...lacking to say the least if they didn't want to offend OEM partners why would they have announced anything? Everyone knows that Nokia is WP flagship partner, and they are contributing back to the platform. Everyone also knows that whatever Nokia announced today would inevitably be tied back into Windows Phone and its future the same cannot be siad of any other partner because no one else has gone all in with Windows Phone.

Umm... so?

Steve Ballmer was there. MS and Nokia are strong partners. He said a few words.

That doesn't suddenly make the event about WP8 instead of Nokia.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site

All true all good points keep in mind Steve Ballmer wasn't there for Samsungs announcement. Microsoft will support Nokia a little more than there other partners. No matter what was announced today there will be those that want more. I just feel that todays event was exactly what it was supposed to be. Nokia announcing Nokia stuff with a strong Microsoft presence for support.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
All true all good points keep in mind Steve Ballmer wasn't there for Samsungs announcement. Microsoft will support Nokia a little more than there other partners. No matter what was announced today there will be those that want more. I just feel that todays event was exactly what it was supposed to be. Nokia announcing Nokia stuff with a strong Microsoft presence for support.

True enough. I guess I would feel a lot better though is Nokia had said some price points who its coming to and when (Oddly reminiscent to the Samsung announcement which again leads to me to wonder how much of a role is MS taking in all this...lack of information). Without all that it feels very...lacking. For the release date I actual suspect that is more MS fault that Nokia's which is why I tried to say its more of MS dropping the ball then Nokia, after all correct me if I am wrong but we don't even have an SDK yet...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I just wonder if Microsoft's presence was even necessary. I mean, Joe Belfiore was there and he starts his speech by saying they'll only show a few things but we have to wait for the rest of the features to be revealed. Why all the teasing? I rather would've waited for a press conference in late October with a phone availability 2 weeks later. WP8 is not even gold yet, for crying out loud. Why was Microsoft even there? Because 2 or 3 WP8 features were revealed and only MS can reveal them? W T F??

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I agree I think we would all feel better with more real hands on feature news about WP8. I hope we hear more soon. The SDK is coming I am going to keep hoping Microsoft is just holding on to that information as long as possible so the competition won't have time to react before launch.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I just wonder if Microsoft's presence was even necessary. I mean, Joe Belfiore was there and he starts his speech by saying they'll only show a few things but we have to wait for the rest of the features to be revealed. Why all the teasing? I rather would've waited for a press conference in late October with a phone availability 2 weeks later. WP8 is not even gold yet, for crying out loud. Why was Microsoft even there? Because 2 or 3 WP8 features were revealed and only MS can reveal them? W T F??

Exactly! That's the thing. If this is 'just' a Nokia event then don't show up. If you show up people are going to expect a lot more than a regurgitation of an earlier show. Instead shut up wait until you are ready to have hardware launches and then just a week or two before announce it set up pre-orders get people excited release the device while we still care and capitalize on that. There is a reason why they do this with Android devices and iPhones: Its because people's attention spans are short. Today I heard on the news about the Lumia Phones. Do you think when it launches I will hear about it? Doubtful extremely doubtful. Because by then it will be two-three months later and no one will care. Everyone will be instead talking about how the iPhone 5 launch shattered this and that monthly record how its going to be THE gadget of the holidays etc.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I just wonder if Microsoft's presence was even necessary. I mean, Joe Belfiore was there and he starts his speech by saying they'll only show a few things but we have to wait for the rest of the features to be revealed.

From what I saw, Joe Belfiore's entire purpose to introduce the Lenses concept, which is something that had never been announced before. One of the areas Nokia can differentiate is imaging and they spent the following 20 minutes talking about their lenses.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you think when it launches I will hear about it? Doubtful extremely doubtful. Because by then it will be two-three months later and no one will care. Everyone will be instead talking about how the iPhone 5 launch shattered this and that monthly record how its going to be THE gadget of the holidays etc.

It depends what Microsoft has planned. Microsoft has left themselves an opportunity to build hype right before the launch. If they hold an event with final launch details (prices, carriers, dates), final software features, and kick off the marketing then you will definitely hear about it.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
...I am going to keep hoping Microsoft is just holding on to that information as long as possible so the competition won't have time to react before launch.
^^THIS^^ I can buy. Microsoft doesn't want people copying their non-revealed features so they're playing it safe. That being said, why not torture us by revealing NOTHING until late October and then BOOM!! Microsoft does the WP8 conference showing features and then in the next few days each OEM will do their own press conference. Nokia, Samsung, HTC phones all lined up for launch with a plethora of features that will catch everybody off guard. That would've KILLED!!

Today I heard on the news about the Lumia Phones. Do you think when it launches I will hear about it? Doubtful extremely doubtful. Because by then it will be two-three months later and no one will care. Everyone will be instead talking about how the iPhone 5 launch shattered this and that monthly record how its going to be THE gadget of the holidays etc.

Yeah, no news will report "Today the Nokia Lumia 920 launched. It was announced two months ago."

From what I saw, Joe Belfiore's entire purpose to introduce the Lenses concept, which is something that had never been announced before. One of the areas Nokia can differentiate is imaging and they spent the following 20 minutes talking about their lenses.

Yeah but did it HAVE to be Joe presenting it? What was it, a WP8 conference or a Nokia conference? Why confuse the enthusiasts?

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but did it HAVE to be Joe presenting it? What was it, a WP8 conference or a Nokia conference? Why confuse the enthusiasts?

Personally, I think it makes plenty of sense for Microsoft to introduce a feature that allows for OEM differentiate and then the OEM to discuss how they are going to use it.

In the end, does it matter? People are riled up because they expected to get all the details today and they didn't. I'm disappointed too, but suggesting they dropped the ball implies that them not revealing everything right now is going to have some negative consequences.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm stoked for the devices but not the fact that there was no solid release date/carrier/price announcement. I've been without a smartphone for over a month now and I feel naked without one. Without the important details, I'm more likely to be swayed by my impatience and pick up the Droid RAZR M that Motorola announced today. At least I know how much that phone will cost and when I can get my hands on it.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading the different threads with mixed feelings. The whole unvealing of WP8 has troubled me. IMHO the the entire marketing of the new OS is being mishandled.

To me it's pretty simple. First Microsoft introduces WP8 and shows what improvement and features have been added. Second, after that the OEMs introduces their devices with that carriers are carrying what device and third, all this is done no more that two weeks before they are actually released.

My fear is by the time any WP8 device actually released the only ones interested in buy them will be us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99