No Proprietary Chat?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed WP7 or 8 has no equivalent to iPhone's iMessage or BlackBerry Messenger.

Why is that?

It's not an important feature for me; more of a curiosity. Maybe the trend is to go away from proprietary chat apps?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they preferred to have chat open to everyone instead of just their own users? I mean it's a smart move if you ask me. Because more people own androids than they own iphones. So why even limit yourself. Apple is very good at limiting folks. It's what they do best.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I've never understood the need for proprietary chat. I use SMS to chat with people. I really don't understand why WP would need it.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I think what he meant was a pure chat program. like Yahoo messenger. But with iOS it's only reserved for Mac and iphone users.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I think what he meant was a pure chat program. like Yahoo messenger. But with iOS it's only reserved for Mac and iphone users.

I guess I am a bit ignorant on what Yahoo Messenger can do. What can Yahoo Messenger do that SMS/MMS can't?

Like I said, I am a bit ignorant on this issue because I don't use them.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use IM+ to connect to AIM (yes AOL) and yahoo. It uses the data connection. I can understand why someone would want to not use SMS, I don't understand the need for a proprietary system.

IM+ could use some work I know.

CDG

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I guess I am a bit ignorant on what Yahoo Messenger can do. What can Yahoo Messenger do that SMS/MMS can't?

Like I said, I am a bit ignorant on this issue because I don't use them.
I am not sure about Yahoo Messenger but SMS/MMS does not have group chat feature. Also BBM etc is data based and thus eliminates the need for a messaging package.

To the OP, I think the the trend is cross OS messing now and and there are many good apps out there. We use GroupMe and our group has WP, Android, and iOS users. So a dedicated chat wouldn't work for us.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You have to pay for text messages, yahoo chat would be free.

I am not sure about Yahoo Messenger but SMS/MMS does not have group chat feature. Also BBM etc is data based and thus eliminates the need for a messaging package.

Thanks for that. I guess since I have unlimited SMS/MMS, I didn't think about pay per SMS/MMS or a chat client simply using data.

Can you tell I am not much of a chatter. :D

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that. I guess since I have unlimited SMS/MMS, I didn't think about pay per SMS/MMS or a chat client simply using data.

Can you tell I am not much of a chatter. :D

Yeah, I used to think the same thing. My brother in law doesn't have an SMS plan, so he uses other means to get his chats/SMS thing going. things like IM+ are GREAT for that. I really ought to be more money saving oriented and do like he does. It's crazy the things ATT make you pay for. Well, many US carriers in general. Man, they gouge!

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like WP8 will have a proprietary chat with the rumored Rooms feature. We'll have to wait and see the details of what it is and how it works.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
THIS! I really shouldn't be shelling out money for a text plan. I'd say 95% of the people I text with have smartphones, yet we're not smart enough to make a stand and say "NO more paying for text". It's a shame that we just throw money to AT&T/Carriers.
Yeah, I used to think the same thing. My brother in law doesn't have an SMS plan, so he uses other means to get his chats/SMS thing going. things like IM+ are GREAT for that. I really ought to be more money saving oriented and do like he does. It's crazy the things ATT make you pay for. Well, many US carriers in general. Man, they gouge!

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
THIS! I really shouldn't be shelling out money for a text plan. I'd say 95% of the people I text with have smartphones, yet we're not smart enough to make a stand and say "NO more paying for text". It's a shame that we just throw money to AT&T/Carriers.
AT&T coaxed me into an unlimited text plan because it would also add more voice minutes. I don't use voice that much but the other two lines in my plan do. Still, I feel like I'm wasting the whole unlimited text thing because between all lines I don't think we hit 300 texts a months. That would be a lot different if my children had cell phones but they don't have phones, yet.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with most here. BBM was nice because it didn't use text and it was updated in real time, but there's no need for single platform chat these days

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The only reason I have text plan is because I use it a lot. But I could be using a IM program for the same purpose. I have a 400 a month voice plan and only use about 100 minutes a month. I wished they offered a 150 minute plan.

Most people with these smartphones really use them for facebook and web browsing and don't really know how to take advantage of a smartphone true features, so I'm stuck getting text messages saying "hi". :(
AT&T coaxed me into an unlimited text plan because it would also add more voice minutes. I don't use voice that much but the other two lines in my plan do. Still, I feel like I'm wasting the whole unlimited text thing because between all lines I don't think we hit 300 texts a months. That would be a lot different if my children had cell phones but they don't have phones, yet.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I prefer cross-platform IM apps, since I have friends who have iPhones/Androids/BlackBerrys. I have unlimited SMS, but many of my friends do not.

The app I like is WhatsApp, since it is cross-platform and uses data.

Adam Ackerman

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
You have to pay for text messages, yahoo chat would be free.

unless you have unlimited talk and text and limited data such as we do on Verizon. I hate IM+ and it seems to be the best of the worse. I just came over from an android to a lumia 822, love the phone, the reboot issue is getting troublesome though. my only real complaints are in regards to the apps. I know it is early in the game and things will get better, but damn, could we not at least have a good yahoo IM app???? the Facebook chat works nice integrated and Skype seems decent, never really used it before.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
WP8 does have "proprietary chat." It has Windows Live Messenger. Also Windows Live Messenger is getting folded into Skype so eventually it will be that.

I, too, only use SMS which some Facebook sprinkled in there. SMS is the only thing that 100% of all my family/friends/coworkers have.

I don't praise Apple that often, but I do totally love how iChat works. You just simply send somebody a SMS and if they are on an iOS device it goes out the data connection via iChat and if not, it does a SMS. Pretty damn simple indeed.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
WP8 does have "proprietary chat." It has Windows Live Messenger. Also Windows Live Messenger is getting folded into Skype so eventually it will be that.

I, too, only use SMS which some Facebook sprinkled in there. SMS is the only thing that 100% of all my family/friends/coworkers have.

I don't praise Apple that often, but I do totally love how iChat works. You just simply send somebody a SMS and if they are on an iOS device it goes out the data connection via iChat and if not, it does a SMS. Pretty damn simple indeed.

just make sure you have send as text if cant use imessaget option off if you have friends overseas. My wife rang up quite the international texting bill when imessage goes down. w8 has facebook and messenger built into it's chat which is their version of this. I like having the facebook in there as 99% of my iphone/android friends have facebook app or messenger on their phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo