Prediction: HTC will dominate the US WP8 market

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Selling the top-end handset with "Microsoft" branding on all three major carriers who are pushing WP will reap BIG dividends. Plus, the hardware is dead-sexy.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. No Nokia 920 on Verizon is not good. No way I'm telling anybody to look at the 820. Sammy is the other one though. If they launch on all three it's gonna be a sweet race.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Sure is sexy, they certainly broke away from the Titan design which was really just a copy of the Android siblings (more or less)

These sweeties are really cool and I would take the 8X any day if I can't get the Lumia 920.

I'm actually quite surprised that they have come up with such a great design. IMO the best design since the HTC Legend.

Well done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They might, having their flagship on all US carriers (Sprint doesnt count) obviously helps. One can only assume that at&t paid handsomeley for exclusivity or the other carriers just dont want the 920 for some reason. In Europe though, especially their home of Finland, things may be different. And also the 920 will be on the biggest carrier in China. Plenty of scope for bragging rights for both companies.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Nothing is set in stone, but if the October 21 launch rumors on AT&T are correct, it seems like VZW will get it much later (if at all).

In November, the high-end WP option at Verizon will be an HTC 8X. Ditto for T-Mobile. At AT&T, it will be a selection including the 920 and the 8X. The ATIV S still hasn't been announced for individual carriers, so you may see that in the mix at all three (or an exclusive at AT&T, judging by Samsung's prior WP launches).

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I've got a little time to wait and see if any more news comes out. I'm presently on Sprint ( shoot me ) but finish in Oct. I'm out of there with their stance on WP8. Time to decide which carrier/phone to go with. So I'm reading all the info I can and the forums here are very helpful. After seeing the HTC release this morning, I'm still leaning towards the Nokia, the 8x just didn't knock me out. But from what I've read, looks better to go Verizon than ATT. So the next couple of weeks are going to determine a lot for me.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
*assumptions
- 920 on AT&T
- 8X on AT&T,Verizon & T-Mobile
- Ativ-s on At&T(?)

Having the 8X on verizon + att and the 920 only on At&t mean 8X will get more overall sales. The NOKIA 920 would have to gain massive WP8 marketshare on AT&T to neutralize the 8X on Verizon....now throw t-mobiles 35million user into the mix and voila
subscribers.jpg

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Nokia would be well past the top spot IF they didn't go with exclusive carriers... and it's pretty much confirmed the Lumia 920 is going to be the same as the Lumia 900.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
*assumptions
- 920 on AT&T
- 8X on AT&T,Verizon & T-Mobile
- Ativ-s on At&T(?)

Having the 8X on verizon + att and the 920 only on At&t mean 8X will get more overall sales. The NOKIA 920 would have to gain massive WP8 marketshare on AT&T to neutralize the 8X on Verizon....now throw t-mobiles 35million user into the mix and voila
Click to view quoted image

What makes you think HTC devices will sell any better on other carriers than Nokia's on at&t?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Because you will have the 8x on 3 carriers vs. 1. Sheer numbers alone

You had 1 Nokia vs the Titan II, HTC Radar, Arrive, Trophy and Nokia was narrowly behind HTC. With the better specs of the 920 I dont see Nokia having any trouble outselling all HTC devices this time around with the 820 providing backup on other carriers.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The 8X will be on three carriers? Good. Better than one. But the Samsung Galaxy S3 is on five carriers, and there's no reason to think Samsung won't be aggressive with getting the Ativ S out to carriers as well.

If Nokia doesn't sell the 920 on anything besides AT&T, Nokia will not dominate the US market for WP8. But just because Nokia loses, doesn't mean that HTC automatically wins. HTC and Samsung is going to be one heck of a fight, with fancy styling going to HTC and screen size and expandable memory going to Samsung.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will probably have the 920 on more than one carrier but it will be an exclusive on AT&T for a short period before it gets to the others. But the 820 Will most likely be on multiple carriers which will help since a bit of the consumers won't be shopping for a flagship phone but a mid range one. Same with the 8s.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
You had 1 Nokia vs the Titan II, HTC Radar, Arrive, Trophy and Nokia was narrowly behind HTC. With the better specs of the 920 I dont see Nokia having any trouble outselling all HTC devices this time around with the 820 providing backup on other carriers.

If Verizon pushes WP8 like the rumors say they will I doubt it will be hard for the 8X on Verizon and AT&T to outsell the 920. The Trophy is a mediocre device that doesn't really wow people (typing quietly so my Trophy won't read this) but the HTC 8X is a high end phone that Verizon shouldn't have much trouble selling.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung is a non-contender in Windows Phone. They are focused on 1. Android and 2. Finding a good proprietary OS. They are fine with Android. They only release Windows Phone devices because, well, they can.

HTC has tried Android and hasn't had much luck. It has always played second or third fiddle on Android. They need a new OS where there is room for them to grow. Look how handily they SIII has beaten the One X (which is a very good phone) in sales. I think what we saw today was HTC commiting to Windows Phone. It will be a race between HTC and Nokia for dominance on WP, and if the 920 is only available on AT&T (Like the One X is) and the 8X is on multiple (like the GSIII is), it is HTC's game to lose.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
HTC is struggling to sell their amazing Android One devices. The Galaxy 3 is just too much, I don't see them fairing better with Windows Phone.

Bet on the ATIV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel