Why are people calling HTC a copycat of Nokia?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Seriously.....is it a crime to add some color to a phone? Is it a crime to square off your phones to better embody the whole windows phone tile scene? Plus, I read somewhere that MS encouraged them to go more for that look to make Windows Phone 8 stand apart from others. Plus to me there are tons of glaring differences when you look at them front and back.

Bezels are different
Camera lens area looks different
Nokias are more glossy, HTC more matte finish
HTC more narrow and plus the 8s has that two-toned look
Nokia has a more defined top and bottom area. Meaning, I can actually stand it up on it's top or bottom edge on a table, you can't do that with the HTC 8 series.
The colors they use are similar, but still different.
Power buttons in different areas.
Speaker/LED area on HTC is bigger and colored like the phone.

Those are the ones that stand out. I don't see why so many people are saying SUE. The new apple Nano looks way more like a Lumia than the HTC 8 series.

Windows Phone 8X by HTC Overview - HTC Smartphones

Nokia Lumia 920 - Windows Phone with PureView Camera - Nokia - USA

Apple - iPod nano with Multi-Touch.

Just saying....can't we all just be happy that we have some GREAT choices in Windows Phones coming up this holiday season? I truly believe you can't go wrong with either. Even the Ativ....can't go wrong. But my money is with either HTC or Nokia.

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Apparently colourful devices are owned by Nokia.

:/

If thats the case, then I am going to make my own colors and by the right to them so in the future everyone will pay me. lol.

I don't want to say this because I like Lumia and I like WP8, but it seems Nokia fans are a bit hurt by that move HTC made. Why? I don't know. If the Lumia is dope, then it will sell. Nokia is emerging as a top OEM again and the Nokia fans that left them are coming back and don't want anyone else to get in the way of their legacy. C'mon Nokia fans...it's windows phone. Don't you want windows phone to win in general?

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
You have a document or source of this claim that HTC came up with the design idea 2 weeks after the Nokia event? And even still, the square and the color spectrum is free to use by all accounts. Now I could see if there were more similarities, but thats it...a square and colors.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
you can only do so much with a cell phone design, especially with whats already been done... we are bound to have phones that look alike. and even if they did copy nokias theme, who cares? i like it!

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I will say HTC got inspired by Nokia's N9 and Lumia range. After all, Nokia was the first phone manufacturer to go with polycarbonate and they are the first to go with funky colours.

HTC being second will invoke calls of being a copycat. Still, I can see the differences.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I rather like the HTC design better, but I don't think that could have achieved that and had a bigger battery. So I think the battery design was a compromise on the battery and screen size. Bigger screen makes you need a bigger battery in most cases. So the design won out. Just an opinion of mine of course. I wish I could get into those guys' heads. lol.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The issue with current Windows Phone owners is that they don't care about OEMs other than Nokia and would be happy to see them bankrupt. They don't realise that ALL OEMs need to be successful if Windows Phone is to be widely adopted. iPhone fans get criticised a lot because they're ready to buy any new iteration without even knowing what it will be like and the truth is a lot of Windows Phone owners act just like that with Lumia phones.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It definitely looks like HTC saw that Nokia choosing to offer colors was a start of a trend. They are following that trend.

That's all. If they got the idea from Nokia, who cares? As long as they differentiated themselves enough to make it their own.

Should Nokia feel flattered? Sure. Should they sue? No way.

jholso

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
It definitely looks like HTC saw that Nokia choosing to offer colors was a start of a trend. They are following that trend.

That's all. If they got the idea from Nokia, who cares? As long as they differentiated themselves enough to make it their own.

Should Nokia feel flattered? Sure. Should they sue? No way.

I agree with this post 100%, you can kinda see that HTC saw that in the Windows phone ecosystem crazy colors are obviously eye catching and a hit. And to get people to switch from IOS or Android they need to catch peoples attention. But they did not rip off the Lumia series, just some basic principals and ran with them.

I am planning on purchasing a Lumia 920, but only reason I decided that over the 8x is because of the amount of storage space. Both are solid phones and should do well on the shelves.

**** for all we know MS themselves said hey release the phone in a couple bold colors to show the WP8 is a new, bold, OS like nothing else.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Because nobody remembers these phones, which came out about a year ago

Fujitsu-Toshiba-Smartphone-Windows-Phone-OS-7.5-Mango.jpg

Honestly, I think the uniform colored tiles just kind of lend themselves towards colorful phones moreso than any other OS

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
i think if you check Motorola started using polycarb back in the late eighties and the early lightweight flipphones of the mid nineties,startacs were polycarb iirc

Learnt something today.

Still, smartphones to my knowledge didn't use these materials, so my point stands in a way.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Take the colors away and the 8X and 920 don't even look remotely close.

That's like saying take away the theme and the iPhone and Galaxy S don't look remotely close. They do have a similiar design language and are based on coloured plastic.

But look, I am glad HTC was inspired to go with this design language. At least WP fans get the luxury of choice and Nokia will get some benefits out of this too. I mean, just look at the amount of mentions the L920 got when the iPhone announcement came up, and now the HTC announcement. Nokia doesn't need to pay for the ads, it has them with the insane comparisons the tech blogs are doing.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Somebody tell me just one thing that hasn't been "copied" in the cell phone world. Touchscreens, slide keyboards, cameras, flips, bars, slabs.....everything is copied. I like the term that was used in an earlier post...trends. Cell phones are very trendy and those trends will constantly change. So it looks like colorfull phones will be the new trend. Credit Nokia for starting the trend and move on and have a great day! Tomorrow it might just be phones made of wood.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That's not even close to what I said. I'm saying that the phones only have color in common, their design are vastly different.

Besides Nokia didn't do the wild color thing until the Lumia 920, They only had white,Cyan,Black and Magenta.

HTC 8X add more wild colors, but Nokia was also working in more wild colors. Hence both phones coming out in a wide spectrum of colors. You can't make a phone in 2 weeks, the 8X/8S series where carefully though out.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
That's not even close to what I said. I'm saying that the phones only have color in common, their design are vastly different.

Besides Nokia didn't do the wild color thing until the Lumia 920, They only had white,Cyan,Black and Magenta.

HTC 8X add more wild colors, but Nokia was also working in more wild colors. Hence both phones coming out in a wide spectrum of colors. You can't make a phone in 2 weeks, the 8X/8S series where carefully though out.

And that's why I said that the HTC design language were inspired by Nokia's. Back when the N9 first came out. You can't exactly make a phone in 2 weeks, but 1 year + seems plausible enough.

And I am still happy HTC did what they do. Choices are important.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well yeah, you can already see that HTC was using Polycarbonate on their OneX design. But they didn't choose the colors by copying Nokia.

Nokia didn't had a Red or Yellow phone until the 920. Both where working on it at roughly the same time.

HTC looks better, Lumia has better specs.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
hi mate i think you missed my point and the sarcasm and the smilie. the production of these phones takes months.it would be impossible for HTC to copy nokias design and produce it in 2 weeks. and as i said they copied their own OneX if
anything

Haha, you are right...missed it lol. Was early AM!

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Imho, Nokia has got a great design with their Lumia 800, 900, and 920 (+ I think the 820 is cool too!)

HTC as well has a nice design in their 8S and 8X.

Both series are made from colorful polycarponate unibody plastic designs (I believe I read they both are somewhere) but I think they are very different in design. All very cool handsets.

Please stop sounding like Apple. ;)