How Surface Will Beat iPad...

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I know it's a bit of a stretch to believe Surface itself can beat the iPad. But whether that device alone does it or a combination of Windows 8 tablets, in the end iPad's tablet markets hare will resemble the current Mac PC market share. There are three key things Windows 8 offers that I believe will cause a major shift in the tablet war.

Current Infrastructure
Despite the advent of BYOD policies, most IT departments are very dependent on Microsoft-based server solutions. Whether it be Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, or Windows Server, many IT departments have begrudgingly allowed Apple iPads for lack of a suitable alternatives.

Most would prefer a yet-another-Microsoft solution just for compatibility and control reasons. Active directory allows you immense control over devices to the point you can control the desktop appearance. This type of control is just not available on the iPad.

Side-Loading
While a feature that will be limited to Pro versions due to compatibility issues, I cannot stress the importance of companies being able to install programs without having to go through the App Store. While Apple offers a $299 annual fee for side-loading custom apps, most companies buy bulk licenses of the programs they use. Very few companies go through the trouble of building in-house solutions.

Side-loading third-party apps is easier because they can keep track of how many copies they have deployed for license compliance. And companies that sell third-party apps would probably prefer you side-load them in order to avoid the 30% Apple tax for App Store downloads.

Profiles
One thing Apple refuses to adopt for the iPad is profiles. We have seen many third party attempts at creating profiles, but Apple refuses to add them. This, to me, is a major flaw in their strategy. IT professionals will be more apt to allow BYOD policies if they are allowed to designate a profile on your tablet for work use.

So an individual working at a company who owns a Surface could have two profiles: one that he uses for everyday use and one he uses at work only. The IT department would only allow access to their servers via the profile designed for work only while also restricting access to that profile while not on company servers, as an example. Compare that to iPad where all you cannot differentiate the connections. They are either all on or all off.

Of the three, I think the last one is the biggest. If you are a school and are issuing tablets to students (or adopting a BYOD policy), which would you prefer? Most would go with Windows 8 because of the ability to lock profiles down for school-only use while allowing open profiles for when students are not on the school network. Students would only be able to log into their school profile while at school restricting what apps they have available to them. This is not something that is possible with iPad.

Anyway, that's my two cents on the matter. I'm sure I could be wrong... but I doubt it. :cool:

Note: This is talking about Windows 8 in general. "How Surface Will Beat iPad..." is a better title than "How Most Windows 8 Tablets Will Beat iPad..." The Surface is just the best known one right now.

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It won't. The Surface is sold exclusively on Microsoft store, I don't think Microsoft even want to beat the ipad with the Surface.

I'm glad the Surface exist though, Those Android tablets are abysmal.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
It won't. The Surface is sold exclusively on Microsoft store, I don't think Microsoft even want to beat the ipad with the Surface.

I'm glad the Surface exist though, Those Android tablets are abysmal.

Well, I admit in the first sentence it may take a combination of devices rather than just Surface. But in the end the I believe it will be iPad:Windows8 :: Mac:Windows.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I agree with that. Those Windows 8 tablets are coming down hard.

Don't mistake my post as negative btw, the surface was just never meant as an ipad killer. Just that Microsoft itself went down and shake the tablet foundation off.

In case anyone forgot how sexy the surface is

hero.jpg

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I will say that Microsoft Maps will probably be an improvement over Apple maps. :D

I am using W8 on my laptop and the maps are great. Even on a regular laptop it was able to get my house on the location, maybe they cheated though and used my WP. But it is great and I promise the bridges don't look like they are melting going though a really bad acid trip. :D

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It will be the ecosystem that beats out the iPad, not individual products.

This. I'm more excited in some of the OEM tablets we've seen (particularly the HP Envy X2 and the Sony Vaio Duo 11) over the Surface. And for people who like to use a stylus, the Thinkpad Tablet 2 offers a Wacom stylus (Wacom = holy grail of digitizer styluses). Microsoft can offer something hardware-wise that Apple doesn't, and that's variety.

The Surface was a kick in the butt to OEMs, but OEMs seem to have gotten the idea. The Envy X2 and the Duo 11 are leaps and bounds ahead of the half-hearted efforts we saw at Computex.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I am using W8 on my laptop and the maps are great. Even on a regular laptop it was able to get my house on the location, maybe they cheated though and used my WP. But it is great and I promise the bridges don't look like they are melting going though a really bad acid trip. :D

W8 is nice isn't it? Fast as heck - I'm running it on a net book. Unfortunately, half my apps won't run because of my screen resolution, but it's a really great o/s.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
W8 is nice isn't it? Fast as heck - I'm running it on a net book. Unfortunately, half my apps won't run because of my screen resolution, but it's a really great o/s.

It is fast and smooth, even in the desktop I don't have any problems. I can't wait to get a dual device. Not sure if I will keep the dual boot on this computer or if I want to just use W7 on it and W8 on the new device.

DrSaiko

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

I've been using the W8RP on a custom PC since it was released to public. What I really like about it is how fast it boots compare to 7 and OSX. The transition between the start screen (metro?) and the desktop is so buttery smooth.
Anyway, isn't the Surface a limited edition kind of thing?

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I also think that schools will like the ability to use a touch-optimized tablet that can run real x86 software.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
This. I'm more excited in some of the OEM tablets we've seen (particularly the HP Envy X2 and the Sony Vaio Duo 11) over the Surface. And for people who like to use a stylus, the Thinkpad Tablet 2 offers a Wacom stylus (Wacom = holy grail of digitizer styluses). Microsoft can offer something hardware-wise that Apple doesn't, and that's variety.

The Surface was a kick in the butt to OEMs, but OEMs seem to have gotten the idea. The Envy X2 and the Duo 11 are leaps and bounds ahead of the half-hearted efforts we saw at Computex.

The Envy x2 has my eye as well. But it all depends on the price.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Depends what the OP means by "beat the iPad." In what regard? Sales? Features? Compatibility? Because in my book, Windows 8, Windows RT tablets already beat the iPad just by what they can do (e.g. integration, profiles, etc) ;)

They beat the iPad and are not even out yet, LOL!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I want a surface pro for christmas this year. It will be either my christmas present to myself or my tax return present to myself this year.

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Depends what the OP means by "beat the iPad." In what regard? Sales? Features? Compatibility? Because in my book, Windows 8, Windows RT tablets already beat the iPad just by what they can do (e.g. integration, profiles, etc) ;)

They beat the iPad and are not even out yet, LOL!

I state in the opening paragraph that I'm talking endgame market share. The modern Tablet market is only 2.5 years old. Microsoft didn't introduce Windows until a whole 8 years after the Apple II was released and Windows dominates the PC market.

Apple sells more iPads than any company sells PCs, sure. But all PCs combined dwarf everything Apple sells. So the market for a non-Apple tablet is there.

This thread was my explaing why I believe enterprise and education will latch onto Windows 8 more than iPad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos