Low Light Quaulity Video Samples: Lumia 820, 920 & Ativ S

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I found these "low light quality" videos using the Samsung Ativ S, Lumia 820 and 920 on youtube. I would suggest looking at them in full screen in 720p HD to see all the details. I also linked the Nikon D600 to compare them to a standalone camera...hope this helps.

ativ-s-product-image-front-sam-as.png

Samsung Ativ S​
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ra7m0_9NA?hd=1[/YT]

nokia_lumia_820_red.jpg

Nokia Lumia 820​
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPKKyJfAX1s?hd=1[/YT]

nokia-lumia-920.jpg-use-150x150.jpg

Nokia Lumia 920​
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sERJZ5KJHz0?hd=1[/YT]

nikon-d600.jpg

Nikon D600​
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO6gQ37ZqjM?hd=1[/YT]

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well it is a close battle between the ATIV s and the Lumia 920, but am I the only one to who sees the ATIV s superior when it comes to the colors?

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well it is a close battle between the ATIV s and the Lumia 920, but am I the only one to who sees the ATIV s superior when it comes to the colors?

I see what you're talking about. The only problem I see though is that the guy shot with the D600 in "movie mode", unless that's the only way it can take good low light video? In any case I'd like to see the comparison with the d600 in non-movie mode.

I guess it depends though on how you like your colors. The Nokias seem to provide more of the HD handy cam coloring (not sure if you know what I mean).

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Even the Nikon starts out blue till he moves the light back to the wall to make more yellow saturation. Not sure why the pureview and Nikon do that. I thought the Ativ-s looked best. On relight the nokia looks more red and the ativ look very very yellow. Either option is decent at tripod video in low light it seems.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
The ending colors seem pretty close to me...but it looks like the 920 shows the most detial vs the Ativ S and the Nikon. The Nokia seems to show more red when the lighter first starts then equaling out vs the Ativ S starting more yellowish then equaling out.

Last edited:

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
The ending colors seem pretty close to me...but it looks like the 920 shows the most detial vs the Ativ S and the Nikon. The Nokia seems to show more red when the lighter first starts then equaling out vs the Ativ S starting more yellowish then equaling out.

On second view, you're right about the 920. It looks like it just edges out the Ativ S on detail. Compare 56s mark on Ativ S, 49s mark on 920, and 51s mark on D600

As for coloring, that can be tweaked with firmware right?

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
How reliable are these videos? We are all assuming the videos were taken by the device listed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was. Not saying they are fake but considering the source is important.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
On second view, you're right about the 920. It looks like it just edges out the Ativ S on detail. Compare 56s mark on Ativ S, 49s mark on 920, and 51s mark on D600

As for coloring, that can be tweaked with firmware right?

I think you can...not excatly sure...sounds like something Daniel would know more about, lol. I think you can only improve white balance and noise reduction but i'm just guessing.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
ATIV looks well, crisp image and nice colors.
820 terrible, bad colors and blurry image
920 nice colors, blurry at first but focused rather nicely later.

I believe the ATIV looks the best.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
How reliable are these videos? We are all assuming the videos were taken by the device listed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was. Not saying they are fake but considering the source is important.

No, you are right...We really don't know what they were shot with, I can only say that the poster had many of the same types of "low light videos" with different phones and cameras. I think he had the LG Optimus G, Droid Razr something, Sonly Xperia something, etc. So there were different videos but there is no def. prof that it was from this phone or camera which is why I said "Hope this helps."

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
True, but let's assume that these videos are real until we can compare the cameras by ourselves, until then we are in the dark.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site

This is what I thought. The whole test just seems very amateurish. They should have validated the test by showing each device in the flesh, at least. This could have been done on one device with different settings.

I have to say that these results conflict against all other picture tests I have seen. I call fake.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that too, but the ATIV s shows a better performance from further than the Lumia 920 and I did not expect that! I thought Pureview was amazing in low light.

Looking at the distance from the bottom of the red lighter to the bottom of the screen, the Ativ S seems to have the shorter distance which would make it closer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb