04-02-2013 07:43 AM
58 123
tools
    i was wondering which one do you think has a better sound
    920 Dolby vs 8x BeatsAudio
    i can't wait to see a video comparison fight between both of them
    Not really sure how exactly they both work, but knowing that "Beats" is just some meaningless brand invented to sell overpriced headphones to wannabe rappers, and that Dolby is actually one of the premier names in audio for decades, my money is on Dolby having the better solution.

It remains to be seen though.

Monster is a meaningless and stupid brand that just makes overpriced products too, but some of the Nokia accessories they make are good, though still overpriced.
    10-04-2012 03:26 PM
    I tell you what, I have a Lumia 620 and I am soooo AMAZED by the sound quality, it's just unbelievable.
    03-22-2013 11:52 AM
    I tell you what, I have a Lumia 620 and I am soooo AMAZED by the sound quality, it's just unbelievable.
    Im amazed by my HTC 8s sound quality, especially with earphones on.
    03-22-2013 12:04 PM
    Regardless of software on the device, a good set of headphones will make the biggest difference. I have a set of the purity pros by monster and the quality is godlike. Switch to another set and it drops quite substantially.
    03-24-2013 08:02 AM
    Beats audio is overrated. I wish there is a way to turn it off. I had on both my Android HTC OneX and HTC 8x. As for Dolby on Nokia, I'm not sure what it does. Ironically, my Lumia 920 won't read any Dolby Digital audio track on my video file. So much for the usefulness of Dolby technology inside.
    03-24-2013 08:49 AM
    Beats audio is overrated. I wish there is a way to turn it off. I had on both my Android HTC OneX and HTC 8x. As for Dolby on Nokia, I'm not sure what it does. Ironically, my Lumia 920 won't read any Dolby Digital audio track on my video file. So much for the usefulness of Dolby technology inside.
    The Dolby settings on the 920 give the sound more depth as if you are at a concert and you can hear the "space."

It ssounds with head phones, but sounds weird if your listening in the car or home. Luckily you can turn it off. And the Nokia equalizer is awesome.
    03-24-2013 09:35 AM
    I have a dolby headphone setup at home and it sounds fantastic when playing DD 5.1 audio through a regular headset. I was wishing the Lumia has the same technology inside but I was totally disappointed.
    gungopeas likes this.
    03-24-2013 09:39 AM
    Audiophiles would rather see the best Wolfson Audio Chip on board. 10 Dolby and EQ programmable presets that can be assigned to each song in memory. A global effects bypass for use with audio systems. A slightly higher wattage audio out for increased bass response. My dream date: Mini tubes in the DAC!

Beats is used largely as a marketing gimmick.
    The ZennyBoy likes this.
    03-24-2013 10:08 AM
    imo, beats suck. if you want good sound, get yourself good headphones.. Lumias have a pretty basic EQ, but I think you'll get better results that with beats audio. I tried them (on a Desire) and they totally ****ed up the music, e.g. BMTH - The Sadness will never end. If you hear the song, you'll notice the change when the drums and guitars set in; with beats I only hear the bass and nothing else at these parts. <- I tried my best to express what I mean, english is not my native language and looking up every word will produce a result even worse :D
    03-24-2013 10:44 AM
    I have a dolby headphone setup at home and it sounds fantastic when playing DD 5.1 audio through a regular headset. I was wishing the Lumia has the same technology inside but I was totally disappointed.
    You do realized that audio setup is always a custom combination of equipment? Asking a mobile player to drive a demanding headset is just like asking an average person if he or she ever touches the *** of a whale.
    03-24-2013 12:19 PM
    You do realized that audio setup is always a custom combination of equipment? Asking a mobile player to drive a demanding headset is just like asking an average person if he or she ever touches the *** of a whale.
    I don't think you got what I mean. Dolby Headphone technology is a algorithm that when applied to a DD 5.1 audio and comes out as 2-ch stereo to a regular headset, it simulates surround sound in your head. It is like SRS but 100 times better. I have seen it implemented in some netbook/laptops. But the so-called Dolby technology in Lumia 920 is worthless because it can't even read DD 5.1 audio tracks. It seems to fall in the same category as Zeiss logo on the camera of the phone.
    03-24-2013 01:27 PM
    Audiophiles would rather see the best Wolfson Audio Chip on board. 10 Dolby and EQ programmable presets that can be assigned to each song in memory. A global effects bypass for use with audio systems. A slightly higher wattage audio out for increased bass response. My dream date: Mini tubes in the DAC!

Beats is used largely as a marketing gimmick.
    Dude, you just made me blush . . .

(And I'm black, lol)
    03-24-2013 01:38 PM
    I prefer the HTC 8Xs sound. Don't get confused with other posters saying, it emphasizes bass. It sounds superior, adds depth, crisper and easier to listen to.

Headphones that came with my s3 sound better than my in ear Beats. Its the headphone that will make the decision, either phone.
    03-24-2013 01:54 PM
    Yep. And for my experience, beats audio destroys the music if you got good headphones and want a natural sound. And, you can always use the equalizer with lumias, which is imo way better since you can adjust it to your equipment and taste.
    03-24-2013 02:32 PM
    Have all you people that say Beats sucks, listened to good quality music with good headphones/earbuds on the 8X? I don't think so. It's definitely a great sound, best I have heard in any smartphone. Now, I haven't listened to the music on the 920, so I can't compare that. However, I have had the 822 and the 8X sound is better, no question. And it's not just the base, but the overall sound.
    03-24-2013 04:09 PM
    I've had an 8X since November and a Lumia 920 since February. The Lumia 920 wins in every category except audio quality. The loudspeaker is louder on the 8Xand the Beats Audio enhancement creates much more dynamic sounding audio than the Lumia with Dolby Digital support, regardless of the EQ options selected on the 920. I almost get a headache listening to the 920, it produces a very almost shrill pitch on a lot of notes, absent is goof treble and bass.
    03-24-2013 04:15 PM
    Have all you people that say Beats sucks, listened to good quality music with good headphones/earbuds on the 8X? I don't think so. It's definitely a great sound, best I have heard in any smartphone. Now, I haven't listened to the music on the 920, so I can't compare that. However, I have had the 822 and the 8X sound is better, no question. And it's not just the base, but the overall sound.
    Yep, I did. My collection is completely lossless, however due to the lack of flac support I have it as 320-mp3s on my phone. With either Beyerdynamics DT990 or Shure SE215, beats audio takes the dynamic from my songs. Maybe it's the genre, I mainly listen to metal, but IMO, an equalizer is the best solution, even though the Nokia-one is pretty limited.
    03-24-2013 04:17 PM
    Yep, I did. My collection is completely lossless, however due to the lack of flac support I have it as 320-mp3s on my phone. With either Beyerdynamics DT990 or Shure SE215, beats audio takes the dynamic from my songs. Maybe it's the genre, I mainly listen to metal, but IMO, an equalizer is the best solution, even though the Nokia-one is pretty limited.
    Ok. That sounds like a pretty good comparison and maybe the 920 is more accurate. But I'm still very happy with the 8X sound, and guess I have to be since I'm on Verizon, haha.
    03-24-2013 04:32 PM
    Maybe it's just me, but I really feel like they tweaked the audio significantly. I'm using my Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 earphones (for audiophiles or enthusiasts who might be curious). Has anyone else noticed a difference? I could be wrong, but I wasn't even looking at the audio aspect as respects an update. I just wanted to casually listen to some music, and it practically scared me how much of a difference I noticed. The lack of clear thorough bass seems to be gone. It's as balance and fair as it should be on neutral settings (flat). Not dominant, muddy or overpower (Hello Beats Audio). The highs also seem to be more pronounced and crisp -- natural really.

Please, if anyone is as serious about audio as I am, check it out yourself. Test several songs you know the dynamics of fairly well (My epiphany came from "Ingenue" by Atoms for Peace (Check it out!)). I need to know my mind isn't playing tricks on me! Lol. Cheers.
    03-28-2013 02:00 AM
    Maybe it's just me, but I really feel like they tweaked the audio significantly.
    You mean with the latest softwareupdate? I'm not even sure if audio was included this morning.
    I wish i could help you but after reading your post my unprofessional ears playing a trick on my by may faking the feeling it sound better.
    The ZennyBoy likes this.
    03-28-2013 08:33 AM
    After owning an 822 and now an 8X for what I listen to the 8X sounds better. Both sound good to me, but the 8X and beats is better. That's with Nokia Purity HD earbuds for what it's worth. I also prefer Beats audio on the 8X over my Rezound since it works with streaming music now instead of just music stored on the phone.
    03-28-2013 09:44 AM
    oh, I just realized what's the questiomn in this thread :D imo, Lumia's Dolby Sound just lowers the details of the music, if I had to choose, I'd take beats. But Lumias have an equalizer, that's what I prefer.
    03-28-2013 05:39 PM
    uh you can turn it off. Very bottom of the settings list.

If you say that Beats sucks, then you are just an ignorant fool who wants to sound like a rebel. Beats are not the best, but they are better than 75% of the market in terms of sound. (90% if you include design, portability, and durability)
    03-28-2013 06:57 PM
    uh you can turn it off. Very bottom of the settings list.

If you say that Beats sucks, then you are just an ignorant fool who wants to sound like a rebel. Beats are not the best, but they are better than 75% of the market in terms of sound. (90% if you include design, portability, and durability)
    Sorry, your last paragraph is about the
    headphones themselves, did I get that right? Did you ever hear of shure, Beyerdynamics, even Sennheiser, AEG, Audio Technica, or something? Concerning sound/price, beats totally suck, sorry. The only argument for them is design (subjective), the rest is, especially in reference to their price, pretty bad.
    03-28-2013 07:27 PM
    Beats is popular and ironically its always popular to hate on what's popular and mainstream... 95% of people are sheep.

I hate HTC now and many dislikes about my 8X but its audio without a doubt trumps the 920... And no not boom boom bass... Clarity is very crisp.

That being said... The audio is amazing but the "b" on the back probably has nothing to do with it.
    03-28-2013 08:05 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD