What's up with the secrecy???

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Their "secrecy" isn't helping them. People are buying into new contracts daily. Only people around these parts are waiting for WP8 devices. MS acts like they are in the lead, but really are last. They should show people what they will be getting. Show the feature set that may sway people to WP8 and maybe they'll wait for new devices.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I feel excited about all the secrecy... I check headlines every day hoping for some leak, some rumor, some announcement, some revelation. I want a pre-order button... NOW!

What makes it frustrating is keeping everybody else patient and not to rush into another purchase just because of instant gratification.

Patience is something we all seem to lack these days.

That's sort of a side effect of our modern world. We've gotten so used to having a nearly infinite supply of information always at our fingertips ready to be found immediately. That's why I like to take a day (usually Sunday) and intentionally limit my electronic use just so that I can retain some control over this need to have everything instantly. I agree with you about us all needing to learn to be patient again.

Austinguy23

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Their "secrecy" isn't helping them. People are buying into new contracts daily. Only people around these parts are waiting for WP8 devices. MS acts like they are in the lead, but really are last. They should show people what they will be getting. Show the feature set that may sway people to WP8 and maybe they'll wait for new devices.

Agreed. All I've seen so far is resizable tiles. Really? That's it? Microsoft is taking on Apple and Google with "resizable tiles"?!

I desperately want a third choice when it comes to mobile OS and our best hope is WP, but I'm so dismayed to see Ballmer and crew bragging about "resizable tiles".

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. All I've seen so far is resizable tiles. Really? That's it? Microsoft is taking on Apple and Google with "resizable tiles"?!

I desperately want a third choice when it comes to mobile OS and our best hope is WP, but I'm so dismayed to see Ballmer and crew bragging about "resizable tiles".

(roll eyes)We need to wait for the event. you cannot judge yet. But I do think there should be panorama scrolling Start Screen like the Pictures Hub :)

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Why are resizable tiles bad? If I am able to get more notifications/updates in my tiles by resizing them, that is a positive feature in my book.

Austinguy23

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Why are resizable tiles bad? If I am able to get more notifications/updates in my tiles by resizing them, that is a positive feature in my book.

Yes, it's nice that you can resize tiles. That's not the point. The point is that Microsoft has to come out with more than that to wow consumers away from Android & iOS.

Look at all the advances Nokia made with its hardware. Nokia brought its A-game. What did we see from Microsoft? The same OS but with bigger squares and rectangles.

Nokia has to be pulling its hair out right about now.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's nice that you can resize tiles. That's not the point. The point is that Microsoft has to come out with more than that to wow consumers away from Android & iOS.

Look at all the advances Nokia made with its hardware. Nokia brought its A-game. What did we see from Microsoft? The same OS but with bigger squares and rectangles.

Nokia has to be pulling its hair out right about now.
They are trying to be different from the competition. look what to android. it's getting sued by apple non stop. they are still suing after android 4.0/4.1 and IOS don't look alike. if MS did what Google did. then there will be bad consequences. the agreement between apple and MS means they cannot look alike at all. do you have a better solution then mate?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I love all the impatient folk adding panic to their frustration in order to substantiate their tantrum. :D People upgrade their phones the whole year around. The iPhone has already been released and potential iPhone converts aren't necessarily out of contract the moment a new iPhone is released. When Windows Phone 8 launches, they'll be people from both Apple and Android camps coming out of contract. Microsoft will make a loud enough noise for those people to hear. I doesn't have to be this minute.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
You can't be so sure that MS will make that loud enough noise. They didn't before, and we don't know what's next. We have no idea what awaits us in WP8. I'm not stressing over that anymore, but I do understand the frustration of waiting on something you barely have an idea about.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hey it's MS big day in the mobile world and they want to show off everything for the WOW factor Look at how much thunder got stolen from the Nokia and HTC events because of leaks. I don't blame them crappy for us who want to know yes. but I can understand why as a business they are doing what they are doing.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
You can't be so sure that MS will make that loud enough noise. They didn't before, and we don't know what's next. We have no idea what awaits us in WP8. I'm not stressing over that anymore, but I do understand the frustration of waiting on something you barely have an idea about.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

The noise they made with the Surface was pretty big, and don't see what advantage that has given MS now though.

Nokia's Lumia 920 got people's attention, and we have a pretty idea of what to expect with Windows Phone 8 after the keynote. I say - showcase all the features nearer the availability. That way people can go out and commit to it. Getting it out too soon and it's much like the Surface- "Man, that looks nice" .... a month goes by .... "so, about that iPad". . . .

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Surprised nobody touched on this one yet.... MS previewed a crapload of Mango's features several months before it was ready to roll out. The result: ICS bit all of their killer features and got to market first with them. They learned their lesson.

By the time of the Nokia event Jellybean had been out for over a month and IOS 6 was done except for the final bug-fixing, so that reasoning doesn't really hold up. I suspect that they have already shown (or at least announced) all of the killer features in WP8. I think all we're missing are the improvements to the standard apps, and announcements about the new WP8-specific apps and games. But you never know.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Its not a secret anymore. Seems as though the NDA is expired or allows for "leaks" but no OFFICIAL reviews. Seems pretty suspicious that all these SDK photos are coming out and devices like the TITAN with 7.8 just a week after WP8 went RTM. Seems like a MS plan to allow leaks to entice the public and sort of keep ios6 and iphone5 from being a runaway.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
This secrecy almost has me ready to say forget it and just get me the top Android of my choice. But I'm afraid of buyers remorse and my wife keeps telling me to just wait it out. Wait what out? I don't know exactly what I am waiting for.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
i think we will see what wp8 has in store sometime in oct. like other have said they may plan on holding an event showcasing the ecosystem that have developed with the new windows devices. ive been out of contract for some time now and i'll continue waiting until these phones come out which i think will be late oct early nov.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
OH just dandy. Another "event". LOL! I'm pretty sure they will give the details sometime in October, since they NL920 is expected to release that month.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
This secrecy almost has me ready to say forget it and just get me the top Android of my choice. But I'm afraid of buyers remorse and my wife keeps telling me to just wait it out. Wait what out? I don't know exactly what I am waiting for.

Microsoft announced loads features for wp8 that weren't available for wp7, ages ago, at the same time they told us about the lack of upgrade path for wp7.

They may well have secrets, but it's only going to be a couple. The feature set of wp8 is already miles ahead of wp7.

If that isn't enough, and the list of announced phones doesn't have a must have unit for you, then sounds like you need to make the jump to android.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
What they have already announced (or leaked) is more than enough to prevent me from going to Android or iPhone, so the secrecy isn't too big of an issue for me. Are you guys that much on the fence?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Miles ahead? I haven't seen anything that would suggest miles. Beside the pureview, what's in those miles?

I'm actually waiting for 7.8 info. Screw 8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786