What's up with the secrecy???

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean shipping, iOS 6 Shipping, WP OS8 RTM'd. What's the hold up? Why have the features not been announced yet? There should be nothing to hide anymore. We are all excited members of this forum and we don't even know what we are excited about other than the fact we know WP8 will be awesome...we think. Microsoft needs to show us the power of the OS already. All we have seen so far is hardware. Consumer's are flooding to iPhone 5 and Microsoft isn't trying to do anything about it. Why do they plan on announcing the features of the OS only days before the phones launch? This isn't making any sense to me....

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that MS is planning to show WP along with Windows 8 in one event to emphasize the level of integration available.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
At some point, Microsoft are going to have to announce a launch date, prices, and availabilty for WP8 devices.

How dull will it be if that is all they announce?

Everyone moans Microsoft announce stuff early, they save something, and people moan it about it. There is litterally no winning for Microsoft.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
the hard truth is that WP8 is not going to be have the same level of wow effect as the 920 or 8x, so don't expect too much.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft is probably betting they'll get more and longer coverage if they hold off on their announcement until after the iPhone Hype Cycle dies down.

It's a big gamble to take, especially considering that it's been three months since WP7.X was effectively neutered with the "no upgrades" announcement. Three months without current/modern hardware and OS is a long time, IMO.

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that MS is planning to show WP along with Windows 8 in one event to emphasize the level of integration available.

This was my thought as well. What better way to show all the integration than by releasing all the pieces at once and showing how they fit together?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I hate the secrecy too.

Still, if they properly show off every small feature of the OS alongside W8 and Xbox, I will be sold.

Xbox Music on all 3 devices? That will be cool.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It's been RTMed, meaning it's not ready to ship on phones. Manufacturers still have to do their thing.

Sorry that Microsoft isn't Apple, where it only needs to RTM to itself, or Google, where it decides to choose a favourite so it RTMs when the first product ships. Ever wonder why Android devices launch with an old Android build, months after the unveiling of a new version?

Windows Phone has no devices that can launch today and as such, Microsoft is holding back OS features. If it didn't, everyone would be complaining about how WP8 is "vapourware" (I would have included "late", but plenty of sites have already spread that nonsense).

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think MS is trying to Out-Apple Apple. They had such a success showing off the Surface when it was announced they probably carried that line of thinking over to all its lines. Unfortunately they didn't get the whole timing thing down IMO.

I half-way feel like they are stuck on this old release model that they have been using for Windows forever and it needs to be r-elooked at but the Windows division is so much a part of the company basically whatever the Windows group wants to do it gets to do.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I hate the secrecy too.

Still, if they properly show off every small feature of the OS alongside W8 and Xbox, I will be sold.

Xbox Music on all 3 devices? That will be cool.

I guess but that isn't really that much of a secret we already knew that was happening. I will be curious to see what MS does. I know I been talking my friends into waiting to see the WP8 devices instead of buying yet another iPhone, but its hard when you keep having to say "Well we still don't know yet"

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I guess but that isn't really that much of a secret we already knew that was happening. I will be curious to see what MS does. I know I been talking my friends into waiting to see the WP8 devices instead of buying yet another iPhone, but its hard when you keep having to say "Well we still don't know yet"

I agree. It's kind of tiring to keep saying that and keep even my own hopes up that MS wouldn't blow this.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry are watching. :D

Sure they are. And overstepping it means a lawsuit coming through. Given the wins MS have been getting, I doubt even BB wants to do it that obviously.

I have another theory though. Sure, we know WP8 is RTM and an event will come soon. So, what if MS is going to steal the iPhone's thunder 2 weeks into sales, and do an Apple and say, 'now people, we have launch dates, all the features, all the solutions, and here's one more thing!'

I only hope MS isn't dragging out the welcome they have. Android as a leverage alone against the Apple juggernaut will not help and WP8 is that viable 3rd ecosystem. But in the wings, BB10 and Tizen are potential replacements. Weak still, but that was said of Android and Apple.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Don't sleep on BlackBerry just yet. They already have a 75 million subscriber base in place holding a BlackBerry and BB10 is gonna be one of the strongest OS's available. Plus they have a strong international presence. The only thing missing from BlackBerry is a weak App World. If they can get apps in App World then they will be the 4th Mobile OS. That being said I'm still switching to WP8 in November because of the ecosystem.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't sleep on BlackBerry just yet. They already have a 75 million subscriber base in place holding a BlackBerry and BB10 is gonna be one of the strongest OS's available. Plus they have a strong international presence. The only thing missing from BlackBerry is a weak App World. If they can get apps in App World then they will be the 4th Mobile OS. That being said I'm still switching to WP8 in November because of the ecosystem.

Even with all that RIM is now too small to compete against the big players - most of the volume over the last couple of years have been cheap curves sold at cost - they will likely burn through their two billion cashpile (which relative to the sector is tiny) next year and be broken up the following year,

(And I might still pick up a bb10 device).

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Surprised nobody touched on this one yet.... MS previewed a crapload of Mango's features several months before it was ready to roll out. The result: ICS bit all of their killer features and got to market first with them. They learned their lesson. This time around, the competition gets to play catch-up while WP actually moves some units for a change. I hope there's no more leaks until the week before phones are available. Which will also allow me to have more of a life outside tech blogs. :)

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Surprised nobody touched on this one yet.... MS previewed a crapload of Mango's features several months before it was ready to roll out. The result: ICS bit all of their killer features and got to market first with them. They learned their lesson. This time around, the competition gets to play catch-up while WP actually moves some units for a change. I hope there's no more leaks until the week before phones are available. Which will also allow me to have more of a life outside tech blogs. :)

Well, I have to say that MS did Mango like it was another Windows release cycle where they will talk about everything openly first but unlike the desktop OS world, they aren't the ones dictating the pace nor the ones 'winning'.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I feel excited about all the secrecy... I check headlines every day hoping for some leak, some rumor, some announcement, some revelation. I want a pre-order button... NOW!

What makes it frustrating is keeping everybody else patient and not to rush into another purchase just because of instant gratification.

Patience is something we all seem to lack these days.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05