Considering the recent flood of misinformed posts and complaining about the lack of features that will in fact be present in WP8, I thought we could post a list of rumored and confirmed WP8 features to be used as a reference guide. Here we go:

1. New start screen with (text, email, etc...)

Additional resources:

Beyond The Kernel | Arstechnica

WP8 Features | The Verge

New Windows Phone 8 Features detailed | MobileTechWorld

WP8: unannounced features include Data Smart, cloud-based IE10, and SkyDrive integration | The Verge

Please feel free to add to this thread with anything I may have missed and I'll edit this post accordingly.
    Last edited by vp710; 09-24-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    mmacleodbrown likes this.
    09-24-2012 01:42 PM
    3 and 5.
    The richer API will allow developers to get 'deeper' into the OS but only through the API, The OS itself is still closed. From what I understood a good example is that, when present, a SD card is accessible as mass storage, but not the phone memory itself. The OS will then determine what content on the SD card is safe and suitable to be allowed into the OS/phone memory.

Actually there is no deep Skype integration, but deep VoIP and Video calling integration which is available to any app requiring it. See section of the June Developer Summit on WP8. Skype will come as a separate app which will obviously benefit from this. IMO a much, much better way of implementing this and again, way ahead of the rest.
    Last edited by paulheu; 09-24-2012 at 02:14 PM.
    09-24-2012 02:07 PM
    For the folder thing. it's baked in. it's actually custom hubs
    09-24-2012 02:11 PM
    Actually there is no deep Skype integration, but deep VoIP integration which will allow any VoIP type app including Skype to benefit from this. See section of the June Developer Summit on WP8. Skype will come as a separate app which will obviously benefit from this. IMO a much, much better way of implementing this and again, way ahead of the rest.
    Thanks, I've edited this section accordingly.

Edit: and added the API part too.

For the folder thing. it's baked in. it's actually custom hubs
    Great, thanks! I've modified that entry and linked to the uservoice page. If you know of a more detailed explanation on the web somewhere, let me know and I'll add it.
    09-24-2012 02:15 PM
    Any word on real ringtone support? Or are we still stuck with the pathetic ones supplied by them?

That is one of the big things I miss from my iPhone/Android phone.
    09-24-2012 08:13 PM
    Any word on real ringtone support? Or are we still stuck with the pathetic ones supplied by them?

That came in Mango...
    09-24-2012 08:16 PM
    Has Anyone heard if you can change volume on phonecall without it changes volume to the music I'm listening to?
    09-24-2012 09:52 PM

Ringtone are supported in 7.5. But in WP8, you'll be able to set custom ringtones AND custom alerts. I'll add it to the list.

Has Anyone heard if you can change volume on phonecall without it changes volume to the music I'm listening to?
    You can already change the volume during a phone call. What you can't do is set your ringtone and music volume separately. I haven't read anything about whether or not it's coming to WP8.
    09-24-2012 11:48 PM
    That came in Mango...
    Really? Why didn't I know that? In settings everything is the same as it always has been. I don't see any way to make a song on my phone a ringtone or download ring tones from the marketplace or anything...

Off to Google it..
    09-25-2012 03:55 PM
    Found out how to do it, not as intuitive or easy to do as it should be. But now I am off to experiment. I really don't know why I didn't know about this when it came out.
    09-25-2012 03:58 PM
    Custom alerts? Hmmm, I thought when Daniel posted an article similar to this, he said no custom alerts.
    Ringtone are supported in 7.5. But in WP8, you'll be able to set custom ringtones AND custom alerts. I'll add it to the list.

You can already change the volume during a phone call. What you can't do is set your ringtone and music volume separately. I haven't read anything about whether or not it's coming to WP8.
    09-25-2012 04:47 PM
    When you get the file the right size, make sure you set the genre to ringtone in zune. Then sync with ya phone
    Really? Why didn't I know that? In settings everything is the same as it always has been. I don't see any way to make a song on my phone a ringtone or download ring tones from the marketplace or anything...

Off to Google it..
    09-25-2012 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD