List of confirmed and rumored WP8 features.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Considering the recent flood of misinformed posts and complaining about the lack of features that will in fact be present in WP8, I thought we could post a list of rumored and confirmed WP8 features to be used as a reference guide. Here we go:

1. New start screen with variable tile sizes (small, medium, large), removal of the gutter space.
  2. Additional accent colors, including black, grey, etc. (check video at 3:15)
  3. Mass storage support.
  4. Bluetooth file transfer support.
  5. The new OS is a better platform for developers' to write for. They'll have deep access to the OS through APIs which they did not have in WP7. This means better notifications (access to the lock screen), direct access to files (music, photos, etc.) on your device, instant live tiles refresh (instead of the 30 min. limit) and many more. Also, an app on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 will use most of the same code. 90% of new PCs will ship with Windows 8 by the end of the year so we can expect an epic increase in developers interest in writing apps for WP8.
  6. Deep VOIP integration and support for real, free VOIP calling. Free VOIP calling will be available to Skype 3rd party apps (Google Voice, Viber, etc). Check this great video explanation.
  7. Over-the-air software update. Also,no longer will you be at the mercy of carriers for your updates. You will be able to “pull” them from your desktop computer, directly from MS.
  8. SmartGlass and ecosystem/integration. Microsoft has been rather secretive about it but this should be a powerful feature. Xbox SmartGlass | Companion Application - Xbox.com
  9. Support for better resolutions, multi-core, MicroSD, and more powerful GPU.
  10. True background multitasking.
  11. Better and more powerful gaming experience.
  12. Lightning fast, secure and feature rich IE10. (Link / Link)
  13. Support for screenshot
  14. Kid's Corner parental control.
  15. Many more languages and markets support.
  16. NFC and Wallet Hub.
  17. Custom Hubs to work as folders.
  18. Lots of new business features.
  19. In addition to custom ringtones added with Mango, WP8 will allow custom alerts (text, email, etc...)

Additional resources:

Beyond The Kernel | Arstechnica

WP8 Features | The Verge

New Windows Phone 8 Features detailed | MobileTechWorld

WP8: unannounced features include Data Smart, cloud-based IE10, and SkyDrive integration | The Verge

Please feel free to add to this thread with anything I may have missed and I'll edit this post accordingly.

Last edited:

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
3 and 5.
The richer API will allow developers to get 'deeper' into the OS but only through the API, The OS itself is still closed. From what I understood a good example is that, when present, a SD card is accessible as mass storage, but not the phone memory itself. The OS will then determine what content on the SD card is safe and suitable to be allowed into the OS/phone memory.

Actually there is no deep Skype integration, but deep VoIP and Video calling integration which is available to any app requiring it. See this section of the June Developer Summit on WP8. Skype will come as a separate app which will obviously benefit from this. IMO a much, much better way of implementing this and again, way ahead of the rest.

Last edited:

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually there is no deep Skype integration, but deep VoIP integration which will allow any VoIP type app including Skype to benefit from this. See this section of the June Developer Summit on WP8. Skype will come as a separate app which will obviously benefit from this. IMO a much, much better way of implementing this and again, way ahead of the rest.

Thanks, I've edited this section accordingly.

Edit: and added the API part too.

For the folder thing. it's baked in. it's actually custom hubs

Great, thanks! I've modified that entry and linked to the uservoice page. If you know of a more detailed explanation on the web somewhere, let me know and I'll add it.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Any word on real ringtone support? Or are we still stuck with the pathetic ones supplied by them?

That is one of the big things I miss from my iPhone/Android phone.

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
Any word on real ringtone support? Or are we still stuck with the pathetic ones supplied by them?

That is one of the big things I miss from my iPhone/Android phone.

Ringtone are supported in 7.5. But in WP8, you'll be able to set custom ringtones AND custom alerts. I'll add it to the list.

Has Anyone heard if you can change volume on phonecall without it changes volume to the music I'm listening to?

You can already change the volume during a phone call. What you can't do is set your ringtone and music volume separately. I haven't read anything about whether or not it's coming to WP8.

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
That came in Mango...

Really? Why didn't I know that? In settings everything is the same as it always has been. I don't see any way to make a song on my phone a ringtone or download ring tones from the marketplace or anything...

Off to Google it..

stoneysilence

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Found out how to do it, not as intuitive or easy to do as it should be. But now I am off to experiment. I really don't know why I didn't know about this when it came out.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Custom alerts? Hmmm, I thought when Daniel posted an article similar to this, he said no custom alerts.
Ringtone are supported in 7.5. But in WP8, you'll be able to set custom ringtones AND custom alerts. I'll add it to the list.

You can already change the volume during a phone call. What you can't do is set your ringtone and music volume separately. I haven't read anything about whether or not it's coming to WP8.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
When you get the file the right size, make sure you set the genre to ringtone in zune. Then sync with ya phone
Really? Why didn't I know that? In settings everything is the same as it always has been. I don't see any way to make a song on my phone a ringtone or download ring tones from the marketplace or anything...

Off to Google it..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven