Am I missing something? XBOX integration and Apple verses Windows Phone

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I use an Xbox 360 s at home hooked to my media center pc with a tv tuner card to stream live and recorded tv all around the house It's great and the wife loves it. We also use two iPhone 4's and I have an iPad. I bought a lumia 900 back in may in order to experience windows phone first hand. However, With the release of the my Xbox live and skydive apps for iPhone, what incentive is there to own a windows phone? I don't see how it integrates any better with my other Microsoft stuff than my iPhones do. I Don't game much on my Xbox or windows phone, I usually just stick to my pc for games. Buying movies in Zune is nothing but frustration most of the time with each movie having different usability rights unlike iTunes where you buy it once and that's it. Zune can't even recognize the clear QAM HD tv shows I record so I can put it onto my lumia.

I know lots of changes are coming up with windows 8 and I want to make sure I'm making decisions based on the facts and not some partisan view points. Please let me know what I might be missing if I stay with apple!

Thank in advance for everyone that comments!

Last edited by a moderator:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I use an Xbox 360 s at home hooked to my media center pc with a tv tuner card to stream live and recorded tv all around the house It's great and the wife loves it. We also use two iPhone 4's and I have an iPad. I bought a lumia 900 back in may in order to experience windows phone first hand. However, With the release of the my Xbox live and skydive apps for iPhone, what incentive is there to own a windows phone? I don't see how it integrates any better with my other Microsoft stuff than my iPhones do. I Don't game much on my Xbox or windows phone, I usually just stick to my pc for games. Buying movies in Zune is nothing but frustration most of the time with each movie having different usability rights unlike iTunes where you buy it once and that's it. Zune can't even recognize the clear QAM HD tv shows I record so I can put it onto my lumia.

I know lots of changes are coming up with windows 8 and I want to make sure I'm making decisions based on the facts and not some partisan view points. Please let me know what I might be missing if I stay with apple!

Thank in advance for everyone that comments!

We don't know the specifics, but supposedly the non Windows 8/WP8 smartglass app will be far more limited later on. And Zune is irrelevant now that the store is donezo.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Bump. Can anyone else tell me how having a windows phone 8 and windows 8 will work together other than a maybe an expanded smartglass?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not sure what usability rights issues you're referring to, all the movies I've bought from Zune are available on all my devices, Xbox, Windows 8 pc and transfer with no problem to my Lumia 900. Eg bought Avengers yesterday on my 360 and its already transferred to my phone. What is itunes doing better?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what usability rights issues you're referring to, all the movies I've bought from Zune are available on all my devices, Xbox, Windows 8 pc and transfer with no problem to my Lumia 900. Eg bought Avengers yesterday on my 360 and its already transferred to my phone. What is itunes doing better?

+1 on this.

I get on my XBOX, WP7.5 and WP7.8 and W8 PC too.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't answer your question, but aren't you glad you chose XBox/Media Center vs. Apple TV/Air Play. I mean, how well would your L900 work with the latter?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. I bought Repo Men on my Xbox and now it's unavailable anywhere else other than my Xbox. Tried downloading it to my PC using the zune software and it says not available. Is there a way to automatically dowload stuff that I buy on my Xbox through Zune to my computer? Every time I buy something I have to manually go back into settings and click on it to dowload. It's frustrating.

As a side note, if I can get this worked out, will movies and tv shows that I buy show up when I use my Xbox as a media extender? Or can I only play them through the Zune player on the dashboard?

Thanks everyone in advance for any comments!

Dennis

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I'm doing something wrong then. I bought Repo Men on my Xbox and now it's unavailable anywhere else other than my Xbox. Tried downloading it to my PC using the zune software and it says not available. Is there a way to automatically dowload stuff that I buy on my Xbox through Zune to my computer? Every time I buy something I have to manually go back into settings and click on it to dowload. It's frustrating.

As a side note, if I can get this worked out, will movies and tv shows that I buy show up when I use my Xbox as a media extender? Or can I only play them through the Zune player on the dashboard?

Thanks everyone in advance for any comments!

Dennis

Not sure what is happening for you. I searched for Repo Men from the Videos app on Windows 8 and Zune from my Windows 7 desktop and found it on both, though only the SD version. But what I find is if you buy something in HD it will always be available for you to download again in HD so that shouldn't be a problem for you.

What should happen is, you buy a movie on your Xbox and when you fire up Zune and go to your collection it will automatically populate there and give you the option to download it. That has worked for me with any video I have bought from Zune.

As for viewing those videos via media extender, I don't think that will work as the videos have to be played back via Zune.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I'll try buying another movie to test it out. I know for sure that I'm not getting automatic downloads to my PC. Maybe it doesn't show up because I bought the HD version on the Xbox and only the SD version is available on my PC? I remember reading a thread that talked about different usage rights for different platforms. Anyways, thanks for the help. I'll see how a new test of the system works soon.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Try something like the free 10 minute Avengers preview from your Xbox. It wont download automatically but it will show up in your collection in Zune and if you choose the HD version on the Xbox you should get the same on the PC.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, I tried to download several different shows last night and it was very hit or miss. Most of the free tv shows I downloaded worked ok although I had to manually go into my zune player and start them downloading to my PC. I can't figure out for the life of me how to get my PC to download and store my purchases automatically.

I bought some microsoft points to try and buy some shows. I tried to purchase another version of Repo Men and apparently did not read what it would play on. I bought the HD version and it only plays on my xbox. I looked at many other shows and while most seems to play on all microsoft devices, many HD shows are only avalible on the xbox. Dr. Seuss's The Lorax is a good example. If I buy the HD on my xbox, it only plays on the xbox. If I buy the SD Version, I get it on all devices.

I'm pretty dissapointed by this. I so want to go all digital, and I so want to stay with microsoft. This makes it hard though. I want to be able to buy a show once and have it avalible for my whole household to watch on thier devices. Im not going to jump ship with Windows 8 right around the corner, but I hope they can streamline this soon.

On an off note, does anyone have a way that I can share my xbox purchases with my other family members? My wife has her own live account, silver though, and obviously she cant see any of the purchases I made under my live account. Does she have to have a gold account? Or do we have to set up some sort of joint account for the whole family to share so we can all access the shows and not have to buy them for every live ID?

Thanks all for the input!
Dennis

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb