Possible Lumia 920 Effect

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Most people I know haven't used WP because either they haven't heard of it or they are too in love with iOS/Android. And frankly, if you don't take the time to at least play with it for a bit, I can see why you would assume that your current smart phone os is just as good or better.

What I am starting to see with the 920 is that people are being given a reason to try WP out. I think it could really be a "hero" phone. While most people don't care about specific specs, they do care about stuff like looks and quality of images taken with the camera (basically everyone takes pictures). 920 doesn't do things like this as well, but it does them better than everyone else. WP has been in much need of having a device it can truly say is better than all the rest.

Do you think the success of the 920 will tell the tale of whether WP will ultimately succeed or not? I have a hard time believing WP will ever make it big if having arguably the best phone soon to be on the market can't bring people in.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I have to somewhat agree... I've had 3 nonWP people ask me about my Lumia who know about the 920. One asked if mine was a 920 on WP8.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It will still take time.

The 920 will definitely bring in a lot of new customers. But MS will still likely be in 3rd place by A LOT at this point next year.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It will still take time.

The 920 will definitely bring in a lot of new customers. But MS will still likely be in 3rd place by A LOT at this point next year.

What percent of market share in the US will WP have to have one year from now in order for it to be a success? 10%? 20%? 30%?

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think doubling their market share in a year would count as impressive. 10% would be amazing. 20% would be miracle level and 30% would constitute a complete shake up of the entire mobile industry.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the success of the 920 will be the deciding factor if WP succeeds. I think W8 has a lot more to do with it. If it's a success and people start buying Surface and other W8 devices the phone sales will follow down the road.

Now if the 920 is a huge success that will be a great first step. If WP has a 10% market share at this time next year that would amazing.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
What percent of market share in the US will WP have to have one year from now in order for it to be a success? 10%? 20%? 30%?

I think if it shows steady growth it will be a success. Remember, Android didn't start out as king. Much will depend on Windows 8. The success of Metro there will cause many to look for it in their phone.

It really is a bold play by MS.

I would not be surprised to see WP's marketshare double with WP8's launch. I've noticed there's much more awareness now than there was with WP7 or 7.5. I think that was intentional as well because MS has an idea that they wouldn't be able to move everyone to WP8, so massive success could actually be more of a negative. It was more of a stopgap to keep MS in the phone game. As a Mango user, I'm okay with that.

I know a lot more people now who are aware of WP8 coming and are especially aware of Nokia's Lumia 920.

With the Nokia apps, the Pureview camera with OIS, the awesomescreen, and the colorful look I think Nokia may have created the latest "IT" phone. It will attract attention and if it is as good as it appears to be, it will win a lot of fans as will whatever its successor ends up being.

I expect Nokia to hit with a quad core next year and an update to the 920 as well. But I think they've really managed to get the positive press with this device and cause some excitement.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I think doubling their market share in a year would count as impressive. 10% would be amazing. 20% would be miracle level and 30% would constitute a complete shake up of the entire mobile industry.

Yes, WP, not Lumia, doubling or dare I say tripling market share would have devs with warm feet, ready to stick one into the WP8 pool... As long as the water is not warm, warm pools bring kiddie pools to mind... And we all know what makes them warm... And it's not heaters.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, WP, not Lumia, doubling or dare I say tripling market share would have devs with warm feet, ready to stick one into the WP8 pool... As long as the water is not warm, warm pools bring kiddie pools to mind... And we all know what makes them warm... And it's not heaters.

I am not a developer but I would imagine the one thing that helps is the native code and I still maintain the desktop component being a big factor. People are going to make Windows 8 Apps windows market share and use is nothing to scoff at and I would expect no less from Windows 8, everyone considers Windows Vista a failure but it still at its peak was being used by 400 million users which was 19% of computer users. So that's a large piece of the pie you can hit. That is larger than the total amount of iOS devices that had been sold according to Apple and most of those were probably upgrades for existing iOS users.

So taking that I expect a lot of Windows 8 apps. From there a lot of the interface and icons and art can be scaled down, and the code will share a lot of similarity. There would need to be some tweaks but probably not very many so if you already have a W8 app why not just port it to WP8 and see if you can't make a little bit more money even if that market share is tiny so long as the investment in doing so is minimal its a added perk and the whole Xbox thing for games is only going to help I am sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos