A little perspective on the iPhone vs WP8

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I was getting a little tired of seeing tech sites raving about how the new iPhone is so thin and light on one hand, and then post link bait about how easily it is scratched on the other.

The thing that continually goes unsaid is that 90% of people are going to wrap that "jewelry" like iPhone5 in a big honkin' case, just like they did with the iPhone 4/4S.

If you're going to do a spec comparison, especially one centered on the dimensions I think the case for the iPhone should be included in those specs. That super thin and light iPhone5 quickly becomes pretty ridiculous when placed in a real world usage senario.

Take a gander. The HTC 8X beats the iPhone5 w/ case in every respect.

133785_10151212900930874_778963999_o.jpg

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Personally I've never used cases. I think they are ugly and hide the phone. Guess I'm just careful with my devices. With a phone as beautiful as the 8X putting a case on it just seems wrong :p

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt the numbers/percentages of users putting any of the polycarbonate bodied WP8's in cases will be anything like what I see with the iPhone.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I highly doubt the numbers/percentages of users putting any of the polycarbonate bodied WP8's in cases will be anything like what I see with the iPhone.

I disagree. While I didn't put a case on my 4S and I currently do not with my GS3 (which is polycarbonate.. i.e. plastic.) but I see plenty of people with their GS3s and Droids, etc in cases. It would actually be interesting to know the percentage of device types in cases.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I disagree. While I didn't put a case on my 4S and I currently do not with my GS3 (which is polycarbonate.. i.e. plastic.) but I see plenty of people with their GS3s and Droids, etc in cases. It would actually be interesting to know the percentage of device types in cases.
While I didn't put a case on my 4S and I currently do not with my GS3

Hmmm, two of the most expensive phones out there, and both released within the last year. That in and of itself would indicate that you are not an average consumer. And if you can afford both of those phones within one year, you're probably not too worried about replacement costs if it gets broken. For most folks, they get one phone every two years (3 if you're Canadian) and they don't want it to break because of the high cost of replacing it out of contract.

I too would like to see the stats on phone case usage. When the guys on my hockey team stand around having a beer after our late night games, (virtually) all the iPhones in that circle are wrapped in protective cases. Maybe I just hang with a more blue collar crowd.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
All I know is I've gotten to the point where I can tell who has an iphone by their case. I should have stock in otterbox.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
People arguing over which small device is slightly thinner and lighter. I wish the hipsters didn't take over the tech industry.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, two of the most expensive phones out there, and both released within the last year. That in and of itself would indicate that you are not an average consumer. And if you can afford both of those phones within one year, you're probably not too worried about replacement costs if it gets broken. For most folks, they get one phone every two years (3 if you're Canadian) and they don't want it to break because of the high cost of replacing it out of contract.

I too would like to see the stats on phone case usage. When the guys on my hockey team stand around having a beer after our late night games, (virtually) all the iPhones in that circle are wrapped in protective cases. Maybe I just hang with a more blue collar crowd.

Yes, I guess what I was saying was I am not the aveage consumer which is why I ignore the fact that I personally don't use cases. :) (I did not explain that very well I guess.) I switch phones because of my job.

The average consumer DOES put some type of case on their phone, regardless of type, at least in my expierence. Where I live it is pretty much Verizon or US Cellular. Most of my friends have cases on their devices, iPhones, GS3, Avaiators (US Cellulars Droid Charge), etc. Also the mobile users I support generally go with cases. We just got this massive Otterbox case returned when somebody upgraded their Droid Bionic. I didn't realize how massive those cases can get.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
All I know is I've gotten to the point where I can tell who has an iphone by their case. I should have stock in otterbox.

The worst thing about iPhone cases is most of them have the little cutout on the back so you can still see the Apple symbol. Reeks of smugness.

People arguing over which small device is slightly thinner and lighter. I wish the hipsters didn't take over the tech industry.

I'm all in on the 920, baby, assuming it comes out for Verizon. Any smartphone in the last year or so is thin enough. Bragging over millimeters is lame'o.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
The worst thing about iPhone cases is most of them have the little cutout on the back so you can still see the Apple symbol. Reeks of smugness.

I hate that, I think it looks stupid. Back when I used to have an iPhone, I always avoided cases with that little window.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sounded to me like he bought a 4s and sold it to get a GS3, that does not scream rich without worry to me.

I had a Case on my iPhone3g for half of its life. When the 3rd or 4th clip on broke I said screw it. The back of the phone had more scratches from dust getting between phone and case than it probably would have without any case. In the end I just had a screen protector and got no new scratches on it.

My Titan has a small nick in the corner from being dropped from sink to ceramic tile floor. It has made a few falls like that from similar heights onto ceramic floors. Luckily never landing on its screen so I do not know what would have happened but I do not think it needs a case.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm not convinced the 920 will need a case, though I'm sure people will still use one.... Not that the 920 is all that massive to begin with.

well if it scuffs like the 900 then it does. There are multiple drop tests of the iPhone 5 and I have yet to see it fail. I fail to see the point of this thread I guess.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
well if it scuffs like the 900 then it does. There are multiple drop tests of the iPhone 5 and I have yet to see it fail. I fail to see the point of this thread I guess.

Me too actually. I think the OP is saying even though the iPhone 5 is so thin, everybody puts a case on it, so it's actually thick. Which I think is an unfair comparison as I think a majority of people use a case... iPhone or not. Which is why I think it's silly to brag about how thin a phone is anyway as most put it in armor. Hopefully not stormtrooper armor... that doesn't work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05