I am really liking this Start Screen concept..

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I know WP8 is RTM and this is not part of the package, but I would love if this flexibility comes to the Start Screen in WP8. (minus the arrow of course)

If Microsoft were to include being able to name Window (Tile ) groups, this would allow very detailed customization and more closely match the W8 UI. There can be the Phone tiles, the Game tiles, People Tiles ( includes groups and individuals), the Media tiles, The Productivity Tiles... The possibilities are wild! And this OPTIONAL feature is up to the user and easy to incorporate. By clicking and holding on a blank space in between tiles, the user can have the option of adding some fixed limit text!

What do you guys think?

Nokia_Lumia_Pureview_920_1.jpg

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't need to label the tile categories. I know where everything is because I put them there. Besides there is much more free real estate on a Win 8 desktop than there is on a Windows Phone.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I do this with my Omnia 7 using Groupy, with the downside being that when I tap on the titles it takes me to Groupy configuration of the tile.

IMO, it only looks good with the gutter there.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think I'd use this. I sort of do on W8, but WP8 screen real estate is tight enough as-is, and wasting it on labels and gaps doesn't really impress me. I dunno though, I haven't tried it, so it might grow on me if I had the option.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely not something that I'd use, but if others want it and it was completely optional, that would be cool to have just in case.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I do this with my Omnia 7 using Groupy, with the downside being that when I tap on the titles it takes me to Groupy configuration of the tile.

IMO, it only looks good with the gutter there.
Thanks. Groupy does pretty much what I was looking for! I guess no need to make this an option now. The tile is too big just for text, but ill work with it.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is not how I would think most people want their tiles grouped. I have mine grouped from most important at top to least important as I scroll down.

I love the gutter though.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
That looks like a waste of space. I don't understand why you would need to put them into categories since there already are categories. The owner of the phone knows where things are. This is useless.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What is the purpose of grouping things like that? For people who suck at identifying icons?
No, I quickly scroll through my home screen and the titles break it up nicely so I know where to stop. It's much easier to remember 8 items per category rather than 32 in a long list.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
No, I quickly scroll through my home screen and the titles break it up nicely so I know where to stop. It's much easier to remember 8 items per category rather than 32 in a long list.

Windows Phone isn't supposed to have that many icons. Grouping things by type is for wall o' apps like iOS and Android. If your most used tiles aren't at the top, you're doing it wrong.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Also, I'm amazed that there is actually a worse screen real estate option than the arrow gutter. Arrow gutter and labels! 4.5" screen with room enough for only 7 things.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What!?! How many is WP suppose to have then? When did this memo get sent out?
Windows Phone isn't supposed to have that many icons. Grouping things by type is for wall o' apps like iOS and Android. If your most used tiles aren't at the top, you're doing it wrong.
My most used isn't at the top either and I'm not doing anything wrong.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
My most used isn't at the top either and I'm not doing anything wrong

lol

With regard to number of icons, there is no limit and it varies by user. However, you're sorely missing out if your top 8-ish icons aren't your most used and aren't assaulting you with information you need as soon as you're on the the home screen. That is the entire point of the OS, and why it's better than iOS and Android.

If every single app you have is on your home screen in one giant list, get an Android with several home pages, or something. Do yourself a favor. If you need categories, line breaks, and labels, WP7 obviously wasn't what you were looking for.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Most used does ! = most important. You seem to state your opinion as fact. Please link where MS said the point of the OS is for only the top 8-ish apps should be at the top. Matter of fact, link/point out/name anyone besides yourself who thinking they know what should be in the top 8-ish.

So there can only be 8 "top" apps. With a marketplace booming. Stevie Wonder could see the miserable fail with your theory.

Do yourself a favor and go see how many people have reviewed the groupy app and liked it.

Last edited:

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that the live tile you need to see the most is not among your top 8 tiles? The live tile you tap most is not among your top 8 tiles? Why on earth not?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos