10-02-2012 10:56 PM
44 12
tools
    I know WP8 is RTM and this is not part of the package, but I would love if this flexibility comes to the Start Screen in WP8. (minus the arrow of course)

If Microsoft were to include being able to name Window (Tile ) groups, this would allow very detailed customization and more closely match the W8 UI. There can be the Phone tiles, the Game tiles, People Tiles ( includes groups and individuals), the Media tiles, The Productivity Tiles... The possibilities are wild! And this OPTIONAL feature is up to the user and easy to incorporate. By clicking and holding on a blank space in between tiles, the user can have the option of adding some fixed limit text!

What do you guys think?

WPhoner likes this.
    09-29-2012 05:07 PM
    I don't need to label the tile categories. I know where everything is because I put them there. Besides there is much more free real estate on a Win 8 desktop than there is on a Windows Phone.
    Villain and phatboy66 like this.
    09-29-2012 05:19 PM
    I do this with my Omnia 7 using Groupy, with the downside being that when I tap on the titles it takes me to Groupy configuration of the tile.

IMO, it only looks good with the gutter there.
    CSJr1 likes this.
    09-29-2012 08:59 PM
    Second groupy. Been doing this for a while.
    09-29-2012 09:33 PM
    I don't think I'd use this. I sort of do on W8, but WP8 screen real estate is tight enough as-is, and wasting it on labels and gaps doesn't really impress me. I dunno though, I haven't tried it, so it might grow on me if I had the option.
    09-29-2012 10:59 PM
    It's definitely not something that I'd use, but if others want it and it was completely optional, that would be cool to have just in case.
    09-29-2012 11:27 PM
    What is the purpose of grouping things like that? For people who suck at identifying icons?
    09-30-2012 01:39 AM
    I do this with my Omnia 7 using Groupy, with the downside being that when I tap on the titles it takes me to Groupy configuration of the tile.

IMO, it only looks good with the gutter there.
    Thanks. Groupy does pretty much what I was looking for! I guess no need to make this an option now. The tile is too big just for text, but ill work with it.
    Last edited by ebsn; 09-30-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    09-30-2012 11:07 AM
    This is not how I would think most people want their tiles grouped. I have mine grouped from most important at top to least important as I scroll down.

I love the gutter though.
    09-30-2012 06:32 PM
    Is the gutter the space below the arrow?
    09-30-2012 07:05 PM
    That looks like a waste of space. I don't understand why you would need to put them into categories since there already are categories. The owner of the phone knows where things are. This is useless.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    09-30-2012 07:19 PM
    What is the purpose of grouping things like that? For people who suck at identifying icons?
    No, I quickly scroll through my home screen and the titles break it up nicely so I know where to stop. It's much easier to remember 8 items per category rather than 32 in a long list.
    09-30-2012 09:48 PM
    No, I quickly scroll through my home screen and the titles break it up nicely so I know where to stop. It's much easier to remember 8 items per category rather than 32 in a long list.
    Windows Phone isn't supposed to have that many icons. Grouping things by type is for wall o' apps like iOS and Android. If your most used tiles aren't at the top, you're doing it wrong.
    10-01-2012 02:30 PM
    Also, I'm amazed that there is actually a worse screen real estate option than the arrow gutter. Arrow gutter and labels! 4.5" screen with room enough for only 7 things.
    10-01-2012 02:35 PM
    Is the gutter the space below the arrow?
    Ehh, I guess. Just the large margin on the side. Same as the top margin. Gives a nice asymmetrical look which I have always preferred.
    10-01-2012 02:37 PM
    How could you call it symmetrical? The black space on the right is wider than the black space on the left.
    10-01-2012 02:39 PM
    What!?! How many is WP suppose to have then? When did this memo get sent out?
    Windows Phone isn't supposed to have that many icons. Grouping things by type is for wall o' apps like iOS and Android. If your most used tiles aren't at the top, you're doing it wrong.
    My most used isn't at the top either and I'm not doing anything wrong.
    10-01-2012 03:01 PM
    My most used isn't at the top either and I'm not doing anything wrong
    lol

With regard to number of icons, there is no limit and it varies by user. However, you're sorely missing out if your top 8-ish icons aren't your most used and aren't assaulting you with information you need as soon as you're on the the home screen. That is the entire point of the OS, and why it's better than iOS and Android.

If every single app you have is on your home screen in one giant list, get an Android with several home pages, or something. Do yourself a favor. If you need categories, line breaks, and labels, WP7 obviously wasn't what you were looking for.
    10-01-2012 03:05 PM
    Most used does ! = most important. You seem to state your opinion as fact. Please link where MS said the point of the OS is for only the top 8-ish apps should be at the top. Matter of fact, link/point out/name anyone besides yourself who thinking they know what should be in the top 8-ish.

So there can only be 8 "top" apps. With a marketplace booming. Stevie Wonder could see the miserable fail with your theory.

Do yourself a favor and go see how many people have reviewed the groupy app and liked it.
    Last edited by 1jaxstate1; 10-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    10-01-2012 03:13 PM
    Are you saying that the live tile you need to see the most is not among your top 8 tiles? The live tile you tap most is not among your top 8 tiles? Why on earth not?
    Last edited by Team Obi Juan; 10-01-2012 at 03:21 PM.
    10-01-2012 03:14 PM
    Most used does ! = most important. You seem to state your opinion as fact. Please link where MS said the point of the OS is for only the top 8-ish apps should be at the top. Matter of fact, link/point out/name anyone besides yourself who thinking they know what should be in the top 8-ish.

10-01-2012 03:20 PM
    Groupy is for Android/iOS converts who don't "get" it.

Jax, name 8 apps that are more important and more-often viewed/tapped than Phone, Email, Messaging, People, Calendar, and Me.

And then explain why you bought a WP7, because apparently it wasn't for the biggest draw of the OS: simplicity and relevant info up front. Categorizing belongs with Wall o' Apps.
    Last edited by Team Obi Juan; 10-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    10-01-2012 03:23 PM
    Need and use are not the same. I have my Phone icon first. I hardly ever use the phone. But seeing that the main point of having a cell phone is to make calls, kinda important. The Me icon is second. It's suppose to be a central hub for everything coming into me that's integrated into the phone. It doesn't work as it should. The weather tile is next, it does it's purpose. I have the calendar tile, which is a wide tile. I never open it, but knowing the date and upcoming events is important. Email and messaging is next, they are important for me, but email is rarely used[Work]. I do text a lot though.

The main point is, I use the phone more to BS and waste time [social services]. I'm sure I open the twitter, FB, IM, and Instagram apps 100 times more than I open the actual phone tile. But those things are not important. So even though I do tweet more than I make phone calls, The twitter app isn't in my top eight.
    Are you saying that the live tile you need to see the most is not among your top 8 tiles? The live tile you tap most is not among your top 8 tiles? Why on earth not?
    10-01-2012 03:30 PM
    You don't tap the Phone tile because it's already told you that you don't have any missed calls! That is when you scroll to Twitter. Top 8 is some mathematical function of most used / most important / most viewed.
    10-01-2012 03:34 PM
    So are we combining more important and more often used.

Ok here's ur list. I open linkedin more than I open the actual phone "app". I use IE more than I use the people hub. I use WPC more than I use the email hub. I use engadget more than I use the ME tile.
    Groupy is for Android/iOS converts who don't "get" it.

Jax, name 8 apps that are more important and more-often viewed/tapped than Phone, Email, Messaging, People, Calendar, and Me.

And then explain why you bought a WP7, because apparently it wasn't for the biggest draw of the OS: simplicity and relevant info up front. Categorizing belongs with Wall o' Apps.
    Get of ya high horse. Thinking you "get it" and you know what other users want/need.
    10-01-2012 03:34 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD