Still no orientation lock

nndlb123

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Everything I wanted added to WP7 is in WP8 by the looks of the SDK, except an orientation lock. I am sure I read there was going to be one but its not present :(

Does anyone have any information on this?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Apps are certainly able to add the option if they prefer, but yeah, I've not seen any sign of it at the OS level. Bummer... I personally HATE landscape mode except for picture review and video playback.

That said, we still haven't seen everything yet, so who knows.

XB_Mod

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Because they can especially if they dont see the need for it!

they can do as they please, any company can...but if the result is 1-2% marketshare...then you should probably start to listen or else there is no return on your investment.

nndlb123

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I have played with a few Windows 8 tablets and such and they see a need for it on that medium and a phone is something that is smaller and more prone to movement so why not the phone OS?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
they can do as they please, any company can...but if the result is 1-2% marketshare...then you should probably start to listen or else there is no return on your investment.

Doubtful the current market share is because its missing an orientation lock.

nndlb123

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone needs a system wide orientation lock. It's a stupid ommision which every other phone on the market has this very simple feature. I hope it's actually included but just not shown in the SDK.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone needs a system wide orientation lock. It's a stupid ommision which every other phone on the market has this very simple feature. I hope it's actually included but just not shown in the SDK.

That's what I'm talking about - coupled with an exception list. That would be great.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
What about windows 7 phones? They should have it. This is a small feature that should have been on the OS from the start. They should include it in the 7.8 update. Or if that's not going to happen, then can a developer just make a master orientation lock app / setting?

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, they probably do "market research" and find that ordinary people don't know what orientation lock is, so decide it's not necessary.

That's typically how it goes for them. Unfortunately its these "little" things that make your OS stand out when you pay attention to the little details. I have always hate MS and its oft quoted focus groups. You know the other famous thing they used to do that with? That horrible first Xbox controller.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Is there an app out there that does that now?

Baconit has it.

But I agree, it needs to be in the OS and system wide. It's inexcusable if something so simple isn't included in the final product. That is on my short list and if it's not included, that gives me one more reason just to wait before getting a new phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb