For argument sake...

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Let's say, the next update won't come within 18 months and there is no way you can install a custom ROM.
So, in short, you are stuck with WP8 or 8.5(just like 7.8)...

You are clearly denied an upgrade to the next BIG OS update...

How mad would you be...?

Sent from my RaZr HD.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
In 18 months most people will be eligible for another subsidized phone from their carrier. I'm fairly certain that's how long I went between getting my Samsung Focus and Lumia 900. I'm planning to buy a Lumia 920 off-contract to get into the "new" cycle, and I'll probably replace my phone every 18 months from here on out.

So in short, I wouldn't be mad at all. I'd just be getting the new hotness anyway.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Idk, iOS updates older devices to several generations of new OS's, but at what cost? Speed. Older devices are slow and clunky on the newer OS's. My 4th generation iPod runs iOS 5 very slow and I am not sure about upgrading it to 6. So, would you prefer updates which make your device almost, if not, unusable?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft were to come out and say if you buy an 8 device it will get all WP8 updates just like if you bought a WP7 device, I think people would get the picture and eventually accept it. With WP7 devices we were never really told anything about the move to WP8 until we were told we would not be moving to WP8. If they told us up front that WP8 devices would get all WP8 updates but would not recieve WP9 when it comes out eventually people wouldn't have the false hope that they will get WP9, they also wouldn't buy a WP8 device anywhere near the WP9 launch which is probably why they won't say anything.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft were to come out and say if you buy an 8 device it will get all WP8 updates just like if you bought a WP7 device, I think people would get the picture and eventually accept it. With WP7 devices we were never really told anything about the move to WP8 until we were told we would not be moving to WP8. If they told us up front that WP8 devices would get all WP8 updates but would not receive WP9 when it comes out eventually people wouldn't have the false hope that they will get WP9, they also wouldn't buy a WP8 device anywhere near the WP9 launch which is probably why they won't say anything.

well MS said transition would never happen in a long time. so it still clearly means Wp8 devices are upgradeable

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Let's say, the next update won't come within 18 months and there is no way you can install a custom ROM.
So, in short, you are stuck with WP8 or 8.5(just like 7.8)...

You are clearly denied an upgrade to the next BIG OS update...

How mad would you be...?

Sent from my RaZr HD.

SO what what if I personally wouldnt care. We already know its a possibility because they have already done it once. But I cant see it happening again unless the next os (9) has a shift in kernel again. I dont see that as even a remote possibility. Eitherr boring move on to something wirth more relevance. Like maybe wahts happening with whats still not here yet WP8 !!!!!!

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
IF this happened, Microsoft would deservedly have an uprising against them, because it would mean a dramatic kernel change for the whole of Windows, and there's no end of customers that would be outraged.

No, regardless of whether it's right not to port back to older devices, the decision was made to unify the platforms on one kernel, and this will only serve to bring MORE compatibility to these devices.

It's a good move for Microsoft, and I don't think they'll squander it with an ill-conceived replacement plan in 18 months.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
IF this happened, Microsoft would deservedly have an uprising against them, because it would mean a dramatic kernel change for the whole of Windows, and there's no end of customers that would be outraged.

No, regardless of whether it's right not to port back to older devices, the decision was made to unify the platforms on one kernel, and this will only serve to bring MORE compatibility to these devices.

It's a good move for Microsoft, and I don't think they'll squander it with an ill-conceived replacement plan in 18 months.

No that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking, IF...the next big update, Win9, doesn't come in 18 months but a mere placeholder, 8.5, would we really have a reason to get pissed? I know what MS did here was, in a way, future-proof themselves..but, they shouldn't leave a bad taste in my mouth with something like this..

The way (excuse) I see it:
"The next BIG update is Windows 9. All the existing devices WONT see it though. Why? Cause its quad-core optimized whereas older services are dual-core, hence won't run it..."

Cha-ching!

Sent from my RaZr HD.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
i believe you americans say it best. 3 strikes your out. they abandoned wm6.5,then wp7 if they do the same to wp8 then there will be no credibility left and no way back.

THIS.

If u keep abandoning devices and fans, u ain't gonna go very far...

Sent from my RaZr HD.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
If Microsoft were to come out and say if you buy an 8 device it will get all WP8 updates just like if you bought a WP7 device, I think people would get the picture and eventually accept it.

This Id be fine with as lets face it, it would probably do most of us for a 2 yr period.
There are alot of people out there who have 2 yr devices that will not be getting ICS or JB in the android world. As for apple, I know alot of 4 owners who are cursing upgrading to IOS x as it has slowed their phones down with no way back.
If MS said this Id be happy and look forward at the end of my contract to a nice new WP9 device, knowing that I would get all the WP8 goodness as they increased functionality through the life of the contract..

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Surely its simple.

If in 2 years WP8 is still a niche product like WP7, then Microsoft would be stupid not to just bin it.

If WP8 is a solid competitor to iOS/Android, then the sales figures will give Microsoft no choice but to continue supporting older hardware.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It depends on whether or not the apps will still work. If they basically abandon the users to their fates and not allow new apps to run on the older platforms then I think a lot of people will just leave to android or iOS. It all depends how MS goes forward which I don't believe much of what they have said as of late so to me their actions will speak a lot louder than their words.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think you're riling yourself up for no reason considering your hypothetical situation is at least 19 months in the future considering WP8 hasn't even been released yet. It almost seems like people are looking for a reason to get mad at Microsoft. My advice, just relax.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, no excuse for MS not supporting less than 1 year old devices on new OS. Do you actually believe they had no idea what wp8 was going to be when they released wp7.5 mango? Really? You think Software development time is less than a year? WP9 and w9 is already being developed. There is already a set of deliverables that the OS WILL have, and what they are thinking they can drop. There are always add-ons in the end which is what pushes dates back but its because they are listening to their customers and observing their competition.

Problem with apple supporting older devices in my opinion is that they do not tell people how much it will slow their ip4. Apple knows, they have to. They know exactly how it will effect battery, speed, and every other aspect of their older hardware. You think they put a DC 1.3ghz chip in the phone because its has 50% headroom? No, they put the cheapest slowest chip that they can get away with. All manufacturers do this. I would still take a slight hit to speed if I could run the newest apps. WP8 has to have more apps than wp7.8 so that is the biggest reason I want wp8. My phone screams, it can stand to lose 25% of its speed to run wp8. Sure, original hardware owners may not be able to run wp8 very well, but just like the ip4, those devices are now over 2 years old. Realize that you are holding antique (in the land of technology at least) hardware.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how bad the situation is. Like if MS for some reason decides to jettison the Metro interface in WP9 and apps, though usable, are encouraged to go for some new direction. And if there's enough of a installed user base to care.

But I do believe that MS wouldn't screw this up too badly after having to abandon 2 platforms totally. They know this is last chance saloon for them in the mobile space for the foreseeable future. Any bad news for upgrading for WP9 and users will never touch a MS mobile product.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It depends on how bad the situation is. Like if MS for some reason decides to jettison the Metro interface in WP9 and apps, though usable, are encouraged to go for some new direction. And if there's enough of a installed user base to care.

But I do believe that MS wouldn't screw this up too badly after having to abandon 2 platforms totally. They know this is last chance saloon for them in the mobile space for the foreseeable future. Any bad news for upgrading for WP9 and users will never touch a MS mobile product.

I really really really doubt MS is going to ditch the UI. But that is not a reason that an app would not work on a non metro UI either. If the kernal is the same, the GUI is just a layer of code to present the OS in graphical interaction. Remember DOS? That was before GUI was developed. But guess what, DOS is still under W8, W7, Vista, XP, 2000, 98, 95, 3.1, 3.0, 2.1, 1.1, 1.0 GUI.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not entirely a MS strike. They put it out and it didn't sell, so Verizon scrapped it and sent them back. Wast not MS saying to do so.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
MS said that the next update will be available across all phones ,and WP7.5 to WP8 update is an exception cause of the system they had.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo