Questions for iPhone switcher

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been some long time iPhone user. I've also had a android phone between some other iPhone and my current iPhone and I felt like Android is kinda ****ed. I'm satisfied with iOS in general, but to be honest, the iPhone started to become so damn boring with the iPhone 5 update, because it's look is "old" in my mind.
In Addition to that, I really like the new Nokia Lumia Phones. Their design is awesome, and their OS looks smooth and good. Besides my iPhone I got a Macbook Air and a Mac Mini as a home media station.

So right now I'm thinking about switching to the new Nokia Lumia 920 in the end of october, but I got still some questions which I hope you can answer:

1) I use Whatsapp a lot to write friends, send photos and my location for example. Is all that possible with the new Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8?

2) I also chat a lot with Facebook Messenger (It's simply Facebook Messages as a single app) with friends, and also send pictures there. Is there a single app only for messages directly from Facebook? Or can you just use the native Facebook App from Nokia for this?

3) I used to facetime a lot with my girlfriend, that will be over than and I know that Facetime is not possible. But is there a possibility to do video calls with Skype?

4) Are there good apps for Ebay and evernote out yet?

I hope you can help me out.
Thanks a lot

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've been some long time iPhone user. I've also had a android phone between some other iPhone and my current iPhone and I felt like Android is kinda ****ed. I'm satisfied with iOS in general, but to be honest, the iPhone started to become so damn boring with the iPhone 5 update, because it's look is "old" in my mind.
In Addition to that, I really like the new Nokia Lumia Phones. Their design is awesome, and their OS looks smooth and good. Besides my iPhone I got a Macbook Air and a Mac Mini as a home media station.

So right now I'm thinking about switching to the new Nokia Lumia 920 in the end of october, but I got still some questions which I hope you can answer:

1) I use Whatsapp a lot to write friends, send photos and my location for example. Is all that possible with the new Lumia 920 and Windows Phone 8?

2) I also chat a lot with Facebook Messenger (It's simply Facebook Messages as a single app) with friends, and also send pictures there. Is there a single app only for messages directly from Facebook? Or can you just use the native Facebook App from Nokia for this?

3) I used to facetime a lot with my girlfriend, that will be over than and I know that Facetime is not possible. But is there a possibility to do video calls with Skype?

4) Are there good apps for Ebay and evernote out yet?

I hope you can help me out.
Thanks a lot

1) Yes. WhatsApp is available for WP currently, and I'm sure will continue to improve soon.

2) Facebook chat is baked into the OS, and is one of my favorite features.

3) Yes, Skype and Tango are both excellent alternatives that will work cross-platform.

4) Yes for both.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hello
1) there is a whatsapp in the Store. it's kind of slow. but with the dual core processor it will speed up the apps
2) there's is a Facebook app in the Store but Wp8 and wp7 also has social network integration. meaning if you text your friend and he he leaves the conversation. you get a notification meaning he's on FB meaning you can talk and receive FB messages like a text.
3) Yes Skype is in the store. you can talk to your GF using a Skype. in fact it would be kind of baked in. like when you get a skype call it would look like a normal call and you can also chat in the background while you are chatting to your girlfriend
4) there is a Ebay app and a Evernote app but you can use onenote
Ebay: eBay | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Evernote: Evernote | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft owns skype so it will be really good and probably have parts built into the OS

Skype and other VOIP services will be accessible from the main phone tile, from what I understand. I think the app will still work too, but they integrate so those voice and video calls are treated like a regular call instead of just an app.

I'd guess that also means the VOIP calls will be listed in the People Hub contact history. that is probably not the case now.

Microsoft is baking most of the common functions into the OS so you don't need to open an app. My FB feed and notifications are shown in the LiveTiles for the People and Me Hubs, so I can see when there's something going on.

I have a feeling that we'll see greater integration as we go along. Would not be shocked to see Instagram sharing built into the Photo compartment at some point.

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so far for your answers guys, that really helps me a lot.
Is it also possible to make video calls with new phones like the Nokia Lumia 920? I'm really using that a lot on my iPhone.

So sad that there's no official word yet if the 920 comes out in the nice blue color like the lumia 900.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so far for your answers guys, that really helps me a lot.
Is it also possible to make video calls with new phones like the Nokia Lumia 920? I'm really using that a lot on my iPhone.

So sad that there's no official word yet if the 920 comes out in the nice blue color like the lumia 900.

Yes. for skype calls yes. it has a front facing camera. So I find it likely there will be a feature like that. Oh There will be a blue Nokia Lumia 920 coming out but not a launch

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
But I want a BLUE one :D

Anyone here uses a mac at home and can tell me stuff like syncing music etc.?

I guess with google mail contacts and calendar gets synced wirelessly? :)

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys, that helped me a lot. Just waiting for Vodafone now to release the phone in Germany. Sad that there's no blue on release date, was really looking forward to that one. But I gotta catch the yellow or red one then :)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys, that helped me a lot. Just waiting for Vodafone now to release the phone in Germany. Sad that there's no blue on release date, was really looking forward to that one. But I gotta catch the yellow or red one then :)

Vodafone germany are both having the 920 and 820 :)

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I will note that we still have little idea what the sync application of choice will be come WP8 on a Mac. Zune's dead, and the mac connector app, while useful, isn't a fully functional client like what iTunes can be. So just take note of that.

litchblade#IM

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
As long as there's the possibility to sync it with my music on my Mac I will be kinda satisfied :) And I guess there's some way to do backups? Hopefully... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital