What is the Nokia device on Verizon?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
With The Verge's Tom Warren and WPCentral's very own Daniel Rubino asking Verizon users to chill with the L920 exclusivity on AT&T, I am beginning to wonder what is the Nokia device on Verizon that can potentially quiet things down and still bring that heavy helping of Nokia goodness to Verizon other than the L820.

Just a CDMA variant of the L920 wouldn't cut things with AT&T. Neither would a colour exclusive version (though a Magenta variant for T-mobile will be great).

My guess? E7 successor. A QWERTY slider from Nokia will be a puzzling choice, but one that will make some sense given the vacuum after the E7. N950 is a great developer's device for MeeGo, and Nokia can provide some interesting designs with this form factor and is enough of a differentiating factor.

The wild guess here would be the weirdly shaped Nokia Lumia PureView that was leaked a few months back.

What do you guys think?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
How can Tom or Daniel ask Verizon users to chill. They've been given scraps since WP7 was released. I can understand them getting a little antsy over the AT&T exclusivity. They received pretty much 1 handset since WP7 was released. We've seen Verizon say they will have "several" WP8 handsets, but what are they. A nokia E7 type device would be cool. I think they are worried that they won't get a high end device. AT&T has all the top WP7/8 handsets so far.

Can you post a link to the "chill out" article?

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
How can Tom or Daniel ask Verizon users to chill. They've been given scraps since WP7 was released. I can understand them getting a little antsy over the AT&T exclusivity. They received pretty much 1 handset since WP7 was released. We've seen Verizon say they will have "several" WP8 handsets, but what are they. A nokia E7 type device would be cool. I think they are worried that they won't get a high end device. AT&T has all the top WP7/8 handsets so far.

I have a strong feeling we will be hearing about a 922/822 sometime soon | The Verge Forums

It's not an article, more of the comment that Tom posted on the Verge's forums and Daniel's on the Hands-on article. I will add that they have the whole MS secrecy vibe.

Tom Warren: 'I’ll just say this: wait and see.'

Daniel Rubino: 'You guys need to stop reading into that "exclusive" thing so much...more on that tomorrow.'

I will note that Joe Belfiore in his twitter did add this:

'Folks asking about other carriers-- I can't say. It's their news to disclose, not MS. We just rebroadcast when they announce.'

It's not much, like a spark when you see the fire die out, but it's all we got to work with. And October 29th is still not here yet. Still time to go.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My guess? E7 successor. A QWERTY slider from Nokia will be a puzzling choice, but one that will make some sense given the vacuum after the E7...What do you guys think?

No way it will be E7-inspired. As much as I'd love one, I doubt we'll see a physical keyboard on a Windows Phone anytime soon.

It wasn't a post or article (at least by Daniel). It was just a reply to a comment in the Cyan 920 hands-on post. Here's the quote:

"By Daniel Rubino on Thu, 04 Oct 2012 11:16 pm EDT
You guys need to stop reading into that "exclusive" thing so much...more on that tomorrow."

EDIT: Heron_Kusanagi beat me to it ;)

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL, if that's the cause, they should tell Nokia and AT&T to chill. Not the users. They only responding to what they were told by the carrier and the company that makes the phone.

I hope Tmobile get some love too. They need a nice new shiny device.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
LOL, if that's the cause, they should tell Nokia and AT&T to chill. Not the users. They only responding to what they were told by the carrier and the company that makes the phone.

I hope Tmobile get some love too. They need a nice new shiny device.
What does this have to do with AT&T? The only thing AT&T is doing is trying to sell as many phones as they can. They do that with press announcements, marketing, and other events.

The geeks really need to chill. The 920/820 may or may not come to Verizon and T-Mo. Throwing tantrums on forum posts (not referencing anyone in particular) is not going to make Verizon/T-Mo make announcements any sooner.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
AT&T and Nokia did the exclusivity deal. To tell the users to not to "read too much into" the deal is awkward. Going by a dictionary, exclusive stills means exclusive.

No all forums posters are geeks who are rabid fans or foes. They simply stated that they were unhappy with the deal. That just one of the many reason they have forums. So what were the "geeks" suppose to do, who wanted a Verizon top end WP8 device. Give each other high fives.
What does this have to do with AT&T? The only thing AT&T is doing is trying to sell as many phones as they can. They do that with press announcements, marketing, and other events.

The geeks really need to chill. The 920/820 may or may not come to Verizon and T-Mo. Throwing tantrums on forum posts (not referencing anyone in particular) is not going to make Verizon/T-Mo make announcements any sooner.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
If it doesn't hit the US fully, I think the tech blogs will label it badly as they are doing now. After all, the tech blogs find it easy to forget that Apple used the same strategy back in 2007 and they didn't do too badly.

But I am just wondering, what does the L920 exclusivity entail? A max 45 day exclusivity may not be a bad idea as there's still time for Christmas sales from Verizon even if it means skipping over Black Monday. Or is it that Verizon has a new shiny device from Nokia and they are doing the MS secrecy stunt?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
AT&T and Nokia did the exclusivity deal.

So? AT&T wants to make a deal, offers money to Nokia, and Nokia accepts. Verizon either didn't make an offer or AT&T's offer was better.

To tell the users to not to "read too much into" the deal is awkward. Going by a dictionary, exclusive stills means exclusive.
And that was Daniel saying it. He obviously knows something we don't. Again, AT&T has nothing to do about anything except they are likely the first carrier in the US with a flagship WP8.

No all forums posters are geeks who are rabid fans or foes. They simply stated that they were unhappy with the deal. That just one of the many reason they have forums.
Have you seen the threads? People aren't "simply stating that they were unhappy", it's more like "AT&T and Nokia are DEAD to me!" and other silly stuff. It's pathetic.

So what were the "geeks" suppose to do, who wanted a Verizon top end WP8 device. Give each other high fives.
If they wanted a top-end WP8 on Verizon then they are either out of luck or maybe they have to wait a bit longer. Or they can give each other high fives ;). Whining about AT&T and Nokia's deal is pathetic.

Here's the deal: There might be something in the works for Verizon. All people need to do is wait. We could all be laughing about this later today for all we know.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nah, I didn't read the thread. I just looked a few comments. It's the internet. A lot of people yelling about the exclusivity have no plans on getting any new device regardless.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
From jmajid in the comments on the cyan hands on. Just something to think about.

My two cents after reading all the posts about ATT exclusives,,,,
From looking at the FCC site for information about what they are and have been testing, there are two nokia models for the "920". There is RM-821 and RM-822
These are not for the Lumia 820 as it has a different model number (RM-898) and the FCC label and location show that to be on the back under the back cover.
Since there are two Nokia model Lumia 920's being processed by the FCC and since ATT and Verizon use different LTE bands, read what you may into this...
I am not waiting for carrier subsidized Lumia 920 - I will be buying an unlocked phone, probably the Lumia 920 or perhaps the PureVIew 808.
I do use ATT though...

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
From jmajid in the comments on the cyan hands on. Just something to think about.

My two cents after reading all the posts about ATT exclusives,,,,
From looking at the FCC site for information about what they are and have been testing, there are two nokia models for the "920". There is RM-821 and RM-822
These are not for the Lumia 820 as it has a different model number (RM-898) and the FCC label and location show that to be on the back under the back cover.
Since there are two Nokia model Lumia 920's being processed by the FCC and since ATT and Verizon use different LTE bands, read what you may into this...
I am not waiting for carrier subsidized Lumia 920 - I will be buying an unlocked phone, probably the Lumia 920 or perhaps the PureVIew 808.
I do use ATT though...

So GSM and CDMA? That's weird. Really weird.

EDIT: I note the article from Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/19/nokia-lumia-920-fcc/

RM-821 is likely the international version while RM-822 is the AT&T friendly version. So no dice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon