11-08-2012 08:40 PM
72 123
tools
    The start of November is a good time to release (even though I want mine now!)

announce devices in Sept - keep the buzz going and let the blogosphere do its work.
    announce availability in Oct - carriers, pricing, pre-orders etc
    Get the device first week in Nov

When I look back, I actually think this has been done quite well. No-one was going to compete against the new iphone, so get in there first with device specs, let the iphone launch, and carry on feeding the machine with further product articles to counter the nexus buzz before releasing at the same time as the Nexus launch..

Im not sure about the rest of you, but I knew I needed a new phone in the summer, but there was no way Id even consider buying any phone until Oct/Nov as it would have been crazy to do that before the next nexus devices were known about.
    With the iphone launch being such a fail, the 2 alternatives are android or WP8 which will both be available at the same time so I can make a choice and buy.

It is quite a clever strategy, there was a WP8 buzz before the iphone, there is still a buzz now and if the devices are available first week of Novemeber, then people aren't going to be tempted away by google as they will be able to get a WP8 at the same time.

The apple fanbois will just buy apple regardless, so at least MS are focussing their efforts where they can do the most good

The earlier product announcements put Nokia and HTC in the conversation with the iphone5. The iphone5 hype is slowing so when WP8 is released they will be center stage. I think the timing is right were it should be. Microsoft, Nokia and HTC will have the spotlight the first of November.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-08-2012 03:35 PM
    By all reasonable measures, the iphone 5 should be a failure. They introduce LTE, a full year after many other phones and market demands. 4" screen comes around, TWO years after many other phones and market demands. Oh, and that dock you bought that you never planned on needing to upgrade? That doesn't work anymore. Unless you buy a shady looking dongle that will raise your phone way outside of the contour that protects your phone and keeps it from falling out of the dock.

But instead, it was the most successful iphone launch yet. Proving yet again that logic is far separated from a smart phone launch. Windows Phone 8 may be a shining success or a stunning failure, but neither option will arise, ultimately, from how MS or Nokia for that matter, treated this launch cycle since June.
    snowmutt and aubreyq like this.
    10-08-2012 04:06 PM
    doesn't really mean much honestly... I own an LG Optimus Quantum, Samsung Focus, Bold 9900, Torch 9800, Iphone 4, Iphone 3G, Acer Liquid E, Galaxy SII, Bold 9700 and a bunch of BB Curves... Right now I'm using a bold 9900 and I'm still an pro WP user.
    Sweet Mother... I hope you are on your cell phone manufacturers Christmas Card list.
    10-08-2012 05:19 PM
    No worries. No problems. There will be only one measure of the Nokia, and for that matter entire WP8 launch. What happens after they are released. Nothing up to that point matters.
    10-08-2012 05:23 PM
    I can not see any success indication in Lumia series phone, that is what I only can say.
    10-08-2012 10:20 PM
    Yea it's been terrible, not even getting phone prices. In the end if nothing new is introduced all the this secrecy is gonna be pretty dumb.
    10-08-2012 10:39 PM
    Sweet Mother... I hope you are on your cell phone manufacturers Christmas Card list.
    worked for Rogers on tech support and worked for RIM overseeing a Rogers Blackberry Tech support center... but I'm with bell and always have been lol
    10-08-2012 11:21 PM
    worked for Rogers on tech support and worked for RIM overseeing a Rogers Blackberry Tech support center... but I'm with bell and always have been lol
    I used to work for RIM. Had a drawer filled to the top with curves and bolds. Used to use them as paperweights. Practically all they are good for now :P (*I kid I kid*)
    10-09-2012 01:13 AM
    But instead, it was the most successful iphone launch yet. Proving yet again that logic is far separated from a smart phone launch. Windows Phone 8 may be a shining success or a stunning failure, but neither option will arise, ultimately, from how MS or Nokia for that matter, treated this launch cycle since June.
    Sorry, but the "Apple did it this way, so we can also do it that way" argument doesn't apply.

Apple is a different company, and iOS is a dominant market leader. In mobile, Microsoft and its OEMs are third-tier challengers, a teeny-weeny rounding error. What works for Apple won't work for a third-tier challenger.

The third-tier challenger has to do EVERYTHING right. EVERYTHING must be perfect. EVERYTHING must be flawless. He must release an absolutely stunningly perfect device, at unbelievably compelling pricing, on every carrier, to the point where people used to the status quo options say "that's a no-brainer" and buy in droves. Otherwise, he will remain a minor, third-tier player.

Doing everything half-assed and then saying "but Apple does stuff half-assed" ain't gonna cut it. Apple dominates the market and has that luxury of being able to be make dumb moves and be slow, because of that dominance. Microsoft and its OEMs are insignificant players in contrast, and thus must execute much better to even be competitive.

'Tis the facts of life.
    10-09-2012 01:21 AM
    Sorry, but the "Apple did it this way, so we can also do it that way" argument doesn't apply.

Apple is a different company, and iOS is a dominant market leader. In mobile, Microsoft and its OEMs are third-tier challengers, a teeny-weeny rounding error. What works for Apple won't work for a third-tier challenger.

The third-tier challenger has to do EVERYTHING right. EVERYTHING must be perfect. EVERYTHING must be flawless. He must release an absolutely stunningly perfect device, at unbelievably compelling pricing, on every carrier, to the point where people used to the status quo options say "that's a no-brainer" and buy in droves. Otherwise, he will remain a minor, third-tier player.

Doing everything half-assed and then saying "but Apple does stuff half-assed" ain't gonna cut it. Apple dominates the market and has that luxury of being able to be make dumb moves and be slow, because of that dominance. Microsoft and its OEMs are insignificant players in contrast, and thus must execute much better to even be competitive.

'Tis the facts of life.
    Funny thing is, that the situation starts to remind me a lot about Nokia like.. 5-6 years ago. On top of the world, too arrogrant, too slow, too stuck in what worked years ago. iPhone 5 still sells like hotcakes, no denying that, but I feel they are gonna be hitting the peak soon and start coming down just like Nokia did unless they change their agenda.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    10-09-2012 04:19 AM
    Apple is tremendously vulnerable, no doubt.
    10-09-2012 04:25 AM
    Ummm yes because I own both a lumia 900 and iPhone 5 is that against the law

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    In my imagination yes ;)
    10-09-2012 04:42 AM
    If you want to find fault on this launch, I suppose the single biggest issue would be that we STILL do not have confirmation on which carriers have which devices, and launch is only 3 weeks away.

Perhaps the best approach would have been to have everybody under an NDA until all carrier details are finalized. Then lift all the NDAs on the same day, hold your big announcement party and have all carriers there to announce their phones/tablets, the pricing and dates for preorder and release. Also make it a requirement that release must occur no more than 10 days after the big party.

What that would do is control the uncertainty.
    10-09-2012 01:11 PM
    now I can agree 100% that WP8 has been the worse roll-out I ever seen... still carriers that didn't officially confirm devices, carriers without pricing/pre orders etc.

lost most of my hype now.
    11-08-2012 01:38 AM
    I concur that this roll out is awful
    11-08-2012 03:45 AM
    I don't think this is the worst of all time but this roll out has been awful no doubt about that.
    11-08-2012 04:36 AM
    Relax guys, I found a picture confirming that the Lumia 920 is already shipping to the United States.

1jaxstate1 likes this.
    11-08-2012 09:08 AM
    At least give the guy credit you stole the picture from.
    11-08-2012 10:16 AM
    Seeing a lot of crying here but no suggestions. If you think you could do better send NOK / MSTF a resume. My opinion is you have no idea of the complexities, and COSTS associated with such a task.
    And the amount of delays that can occur at any time. Most of which is unexpected.

If the rumors are true about the notification center / system being improved, but Microsoft running out of time.
    11-08-2012 10:33 AM
    now I can agree 100% that WP8 has been the worse roll-out I ever seen... still carriers that didn't officially confirm devices, carriers without pricing/pre orders etc.

lost most of my hype now.
    Agreed.
    11-08-2012 10:58 AM
    I feel like WP8 has been launching since June.
    diego3336 and 1jaxstate1 like this.
    11-08-2012 11:09 AM
    It's probably the biggest launch-fiasco I've ever seen coming from a big company...
    11-08-2012 08:40 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD