Is this the worst product roll-out you have ever seen?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Between the horrid lack of pricing/release dates/carrier information and these Nokia "exclusivity" announcements, this whole thing is beginning to feel like a slow motion train wreck.

Is it too early to call this a fiasco? New Coke, anyone???

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
It's not the worst yet. Kin is even worse, not to mention the L900 when it made a bang at CES, only to be released a full 3 months later in US and in other countries even later.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, it is. I can barely eat or sleep just because I dont know the price or day I can buy a PHONE, I feel my life is over. :dry

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
In terms of a product announcement, it's pretty dreadful.

And "better than the Kin" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.

And trust me, if you were a developer, carrier executive or Microsoft/Nokia stakeholder with a strong stake in the success of the Lumia range in the USA, you WOULD be losing sleep over the phone's unveiling.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
In terms of a product announcement, it's pretty dreadful.

And "better than the Kin" isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.

And trust me, if you were a developer, carrier executive or Microsoft/Nokia stakeholder with a strong stake in the success of the Lumia range in the USA, you WOULD be losing sleep over the phone's unveiling.

And it's still better than BB10 or WebOS. No ringing endorsement there either, but there you go.

I just need this bloody phone out. Now. Then we can all complain about how heavy the thing is.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually kind of liking the way things are going. Come October 26th through the first week of November, they'll unveil a whole product line that should work extremely well together. I'll be able to upgrade to Windows 8 on my laptop, buy a Windows RT tablet, and then get a Windows Phone 8 device. Yeah, it's not fun to wait, but in the end I think it'll all be worth it.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
To me it's been fun. It's very easy to guess and be very close to what the price will be and when it will be released. At least here in the US. I've enjoyed reading all the information about the new phones and the little info on WP8. The hardest thing is trying to avoid all the whining and crying from so many people on here.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Seeing a lot of crying here but no suggestions. If you think you could do better send NOK / MSTF a resume. My opinion is you have no idea of the complexities, and COSTS associated with such a task.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
"If you can do it better, you'd be working at Nokia" is a lame argument.

Chances are, if one can do it better, he's probably at Apple, Samsung, HTC or LG, all of whom have gotten things done faster and better than Nokia. And that's ultimately what counts -- Nokia isn't playing "be the expert versus the WP users," it's competing with companies who don't screw up half as often as they have.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft is managing to release Windows 8, Windows RT and Windows Phone 8, and their own Surface Tablet..... all at about the same time.....

Yeah..... Worst. Rollout. Ever.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Surely it would be far worse if Nokia had said nothing up until now, and waited for the wp8 launch.

Whine all you like, but the fact everyone is soo annoyed at Nokia proves they've done an awful lot right, and most of the stuff they've got wrong is due to Microsoft or the carriers.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Quite honestly the only people I have seen complaining about this launch are people on Windows Phone forums with a "NOW NOW NOW!" attitude.

If it was a real problem tech sites would have been dragging MS and Nokia through the mud about this launch, but the fact that everyone has high hopes for the 920 says otherwise.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Surely it would be far worse if Nokia had said nothing up until now, and waited for the wp8 launch.

Whine all you like, but the fact everyone is soo annoyed at Nokia proves they've done an awful lot right, and most of the stuff they've got wrong is due to Microsoft or the carriers.

It is Nokia's product and ultimately they are responsible for it.... That said, we haven't seen the full picture yet but it seems messy.

It seems that certain colours won't be available on some carriers or retailers. Nokia Italy for example seems to be only offering it online in Black and white (see blog post) no grey on AT+T and only black on Rogers. So everywhere you turn someone is disappointed somewhere.

Maybe things will change later on.

anon(5345625)

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
If you've paid attention to any Nokia launches in the past 3-4 years they've all been like this. I wouldn't even call the 920 launch the worst of them.

EDIT: Although I'm really really annoyed about my choice of colours being black, black, or black. Thanks Nokia, thanks Rogers.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
If you've paid attention to any Nokia launches in the past 3-4 years they've all been like this. I wouldn't even call the 920 launch the worst of them.

EDIT: Although I'm really really annoyed about my choice of colours being black, black, or black. Thanks Nokia, thanks Rogers.
What does it have to do with Nokia? It was the carriers's decision

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I agree it's bad I have been waiting as well and it's not Nokia that's the issue Microsoft is running this show and roll out so let's put the blame on the right company.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077