Why don't Facebook -Messages- show up in the Me Tile?

Korey5

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to get Facebook messages to show up in your Me Tile?

In the Me Tile -> Notifications, I get a nice feed of people on my close friends list as well as tweets @ me, but for some reason I can't receive Facebook messages. Seems like an obvious thing to me.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If you enable Facebook Chat in messaging hub, you can get (and of course respond) to your messages from there.

There is an impact on battery life using it, but based on my own messaging load, it seems to be negligible. So just be aware of that.

Korey5

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I have Facebook chat enabled, but I'm offline. And my incoming messages aren't showing up. I don't use Facebook CHAT at all, on the desktop or phone, but I'd like to send and receive MESSAGES. I wonder if that's a problem?

NairobiWP

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Facebook chat and the Status Feed on the Me Tile are essentially two different things:

ME Tile: gives you Status Notification updates. So this is your friends and followers on Twitter posting what they are up to. It is not meant as conversation feed (though Twitter treats it as such, but I digress)

Messaging Hub: This where you have Conversations with you contacts. If FB Chat is turned on and you set your status to available, then you can receive direct messages from your FB contacts. What's also nice is that you can switch back and forth from FB Chat to SMS mid conversation.

NOTE: You can also see your friends feed in the "What's New" Category in both the People Hub and the Pictures Hub

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I have Facebook chat enabled, but I'm offline. And my incoming messages aren't showing up. I don't use Facebook CHAT at all, on the desktop or phone, but I'd like to send and receive MESSAGES. I wonder if that's a problem?

You mean offline messages right?

You can send messages to your Fb contacts while you appear offline on your phone - they will receive it.

However, like FB messenger on Android and iOS, integrated FB Chat won't let you receive messages from your contacts who also are appearing offline. If you however, appear offline and a contact tries to initiate a convo, you again won't receive it even though the other person is online.

For what you are trying to achieve these are the stuff you could try: (Note it is NOT what you want, I know it so don't shoot the messenger)

- IM+ (free ad supported) or IM+ Pro (paid version) can let you have facebook chat like the FB Messenger on the other two platforms.

- You can pin official FB Messages tile but it has horrible notifications and you'll have to keep refreshing it to see if you have anything in there.

- Pin FB mobile site's inbox - no notification but quicker chat access.

- Email notifications turned on - ask FB to send you an email notification every time you get a new message and then have your email sync "as item arrives"

Korey5

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
You mean offline messages right?

You can send messages to your Fb contacts while you appear offline on your phone - they will receive it.

However, like FB messenger on Android and iOS, integrated FB Chat won't let you receive messages from your contacts who also are appearing offline. If you however, appear offline and a contact tries to initiate a convo, you again won't receive it even though the other person is online.

For what you are trying to achieve these are the stuff you could try: (Note it is NOT what you want, I know it so don't shoot the messenger)

- IM+ (free ad supported) or IM+ Pro (paid version) can let you have facebook chat like the FB Messenger on the other two platforms.

- You can pin official FB Messages tile but it has horrible notifications and you'll have to keep refreshing it to see if you have anything in there.

- Pin FB mobile site's inbox - no notification but quicker chat access.

- Email notifications turned on - ask FB to send you an email notification every time you get a new message and then have your email sync "as item arrives"

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. Yes, I meant offline messages. It looks like what I want just won't work in the current WP OS.

I also do have the FB messages tile pinned but like you said, no notifications and it's horribly slow at refreshing. I'm going to try IM+

I guess complaining here won't do anything, but I hope the WP team fixes this oversight soon. Just because iPhone and Android don't do it either is no excuse. There should be tighter integration with FB, and chat/messages/fb inbox is a big deal.

Last edited:

Nimal Kunnath Aven

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I think it's just easier to open up the FB app and check the inbox...It's just a matter of few seconds! But yea, hope windows 8 addresses this in the next software update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos