Why should I buy a Windows 8 phone?

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
From my point of view, I'm totally confused.
I had 4 Android devices going back to the HTC Hero. All of them had flaws/shortcomings in the OS version I was using - even when I started using custom ROMS. I convinced myself that the next device (And subsequent hardware and software upgrade) would satisfy my needs. When my SGS2 had serious GPS problems - I looked for alternatives.
I had an ipod, and that let me play any games/listen to music just fine, so I didn't see the point in going for an iPhone, and picked up a WP LG 900 on the cheap.
This was pre-Mango and although I liked the UI, there were serious shortcomings. I use navigation a lot, and Bing Maps is basically hopeless as such so when Nokia launched the 800, I snapped one up on launch day. Love the build, aesthetics, navigation, email client, Nokia Music and photo integration, but there are still things that I am hoping will be improved with WP8.
Thing is, I'm worried that my issues won't be addressed. The Lumia 920 gives me all I want hardware wise, but if WP8 doesn't impress me on the 29th (?), I might look back at an Android device again.
Specifically, these are deal breakers for me;
I want the ability to receive IMs/notifications when not charging. I get irritated by powering on my 800, and then getting a FB message that was sent 25 mins ago. Same with emails. If WP8 doesn't push notifications more effectively, I won't wait for an update.
I want Nokia's Maps to include a "compass view" feature. Right now, using Bing - or Nokia Maps - means that it shows you the route, but when you pivot to find which direction to start walking, the display doesn't rotate, which means I could walk about 100m, before finding out that Maps tells me that I was walking the wrong way... irritating.
I want (Pretty sure I'm covered on this one) all my IM and VOIP apps to run in the background. Whatsapp, Skype, IM, FB chat etc. No need to tell you how hopeless things are now. I know that WP8 allows 8 apps to be multitasked, but I do not want Skype closing down if it becomes the 9th (If you get what I mean).
Finally, I want MS to get their finger out and support their own OS. It's just not good enough that half the features are not supported in all but a handful of countries. Right now, I'm in Prague. Searching for "Eat and Drink" nearby with Bing is not supported here, nor most of the countries in Europe. Same with Bing Maps - searching for McDonalds whilst in Prague produces a result for McD's in Oklahoma! Hopeless.
If anybody can reassure me about any of the above, I'll be a much happier bunny.

Regarding the maps compass issue, your phone doesn't have a compass in it which is why you have to move a bit before the phone (via GPS) calculates your direction and rotates the map. I believe with WP8, a compass is standard. In WP7.x most didn't have a compass in them until then Gen 2 devices, but I don't recall exactly which ones did offhand.

pspbricker

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Not sure why you do not get IMs when not charging. I get Text, email, fb message, and any other form of communication no matter where I am or what I am doing as long as I at least have cell signal. Do you have battery saver on? Not sure if that deactivates when it is plugged in, but otherwise, you should always be getting data downloads. That is unless you have cellular data turned off or something.

Not completely sure of your maps issue. Are you saying you need to know what direction N is on the map? Or you do not know which way to turn? Unless you are in the middle of the desert, I would imagine you can find a landmark on the map that you can look around to identify. A curve in the road, the next intersecting road, a coffee shop listed in the map. I have never had a problem with knowing which way to go using maps. But I do not know your situation.

Yes, I agree that after 2 years in the wild, WP should have all features working in all countries and places that devices are sold.

I'll explain my issues a little better. When I'm home, I connect via wifi.
When my screen is on - or plugged into the charger - I receive all notifications, IMs and emails , more or less instantaneously. When the screen is off, I don't. Pretty sure this is a battery saving feature embedded into WP - notifications are pulled every 30 mins when the device is inactive and not charging. No, I don't have Battery saver mode on and I have full data coverage. To test, I sent myself an email from my laptop. The Lumia screen is off, and email notifications are on. 20 Mins later, I still haven't received an email notification. I turn the screen on, and 3 seconds later I receive the notification - in fact all notifications. This could be because I connect via wifi, and WP7 disconnects Wifi when screen is off and not charging to preserve battery, but It's pretty poor and I'm hoping this will change in WP8.

I don't really know how to explain my maps gripe any better. I'm talking about when I need directions on foot (not car). Come out of a subway, and search for a Coffee shop; Maps shows you directions from where you are to where you want to go - so far, so good. But because Maps doesn't use a "Compass mode" like Gmaps on Android or Nokia Maps on Symbian, the device doesn't know which way you are facing. The display does not change when you rotate to find your bearings. Yes, once Maps determines your direction of travel, it's easy enough to find my destination, but it must be relatively easy to include Compass mode.

pspbricker

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Regarding the maps compass issue, your phone doesn't have a compass in it which is why you have to move a bit before the phone (via GPS) calculates your direction and rotates the map. I believe with WP8, a compass is standard. In WP7.x most didn't have a compass in them until then Gen 2 devices, but I don't recall exactly which ones did offhand.

My first gen LG 900 definitely had a compass, and so does my gen 2 Lumia 800. The problem is in the software, not the hardware. Nokia Maps on Symbian had compass mode on my old N97, yet Nokia Maps on WP doesn't.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Security.

My first and foremost reason to buy a Windows Phone is this. I will boldly claim at this point, that if, ever, a Windows Phone can be hacked in any remote possible way, I will never buy it.

But, that said, I know for a fact that it is literally impossible for it to get hacked or it is prone to malware attacks. You might either love MS or hate it for their stringent approach when it comes to their apps, but for me its a deal maker.

I am sure you have read/seen articles about the latest ANdroid remote-wipe attacks on Samsung phones. And it turns out, all Android devices were/are vulnerable to those "man-in-the-middle" attacks.

I will give you a quick personal experience. A friend of mine wanted to buy a phone. I suggested a WP, warning him about the same attacks. (this was even before those attacks actually happened).
HE said those attacks were a 'western' thing. (I live in India) and we wont ever be affected. He bought an S3.

Lo and behold! Two weeks later, ALL S3s were at threat. That very same friend called me and told me he should have listened to me and never bought it.

Simplicity.

The phone should be used like a phone. Not like a device you use to contact Extra-Terrestrial. I refuse to spend hours and hours to make it perform better. I am not going to leave work in order to get the damn battery fixed. I am not going to flash 350 ROMs to arrive at that ONE perfect ROM. If the gallery "force-closes" on my face, Google should take care of it, not me. If the wifi drops every 10 minutes, Android devs should help me out. If the phone lags, stutters and sputter even with a quad/dual core, google should do something about it, not hardworking-devs or even me.

Respect.

For Microsoft. They have taken a fresh, brand new approach and put in hard work behind this product. If the world can't see this, it's their problem.

Been watching this thread for a while and wanted to chime in for quite some time.
So here..my two dimes..

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
But, that said, I know for a fact that it is literally impossible for it to get hacked or it is prone to malware attacks. You might either love MS or hate it for their stringent approach when it comes to their apps, but for me its a deal maker.

You are absolutely correct that Microsoft placed A LOT of emphasis on security. At black hat conferences, diagrams of WP's OS architecture are often presented as an example of how security issues should be addressed. That said, hacking WP certainly isn't impossible. WP has much thicker armor than both Android or iOS, but it is only a matter of time until someone finds a hole to exploit. The difference between OS' is only in the number of holes and how easy they are to find.
I want the ability to receive IMs/notifications when not charging. I get irritated by powering on my 800, and then getting a FB message that was sent 25 mins ago. Same with emails. If WP8 doesn't push notifications more effectively, I won't wait for an update.
Theoretically, this should already work, although you must enable data transmission over cellular (in WP's settings) and have some kind of data plan agreement with your carrier. WiFi is usually deactivated shortly after the device goes to sleep (a.k.a. when the display is shut off), and if data can't be sent over the cellular network, MS has no way of pushing notifications to your device. That is the most common reason why push notifications only appear after waking up the device. Hope you have some luck with that.
I want Nokia's Maps to include a "compass view" feature.
Nokia currently has most of their software guys working on WP related projects. Their goal is to reach feature parity with Symbian at some point, but they still have a long way to go (not surprising, since Nokia had years to work on Symbian). Anyway, we will get that rotating map at some point.
I want (Pretty sure I'm covered on this one) all my IM and VOIP apps to run in the background. Whatsapp, Skype, IM, FB chat etc. No need to tell you how hopeless things are now. I know that WP8 allows 8 apps to be multitasked, but I do not want Skype closing down if it becomes the 9th (If you get what I mean).

This is not quit correct. There is no fundamental difference between multitasking on WP7 and WP8. You will just be allowed to keep more than five apps open at once (you say 8), but just as before, these will not multitask. This is deliberate and a good thing. However, some specific features will be able to multitask (Note: features, NOT apps). So far, we know these features will multitask:

- background music
- background file transfer
- background VOIP (Skype, Viber, etc)
- background location (GPS apps)

Your VOIP apps will benefit from this, but your IM apps will not. Background VOIP will allow you to navigate to other apps (like the calendar) while continuing to talk.
It's just not good enough that half the features are not supported in all but a handful of countries.
I agree. Most countries can't use local Scout or Bing cards. Most can't use Microsoft's audio recognition service. Most don't have access to Zune Music or Videos. This is the biggest flaw in WP at this time. Apple rolled this out in most western countries within two years. I have no idea what Microsoft plans to do, but I know a lot of Europeans aren't happy with this situation and ready to bolt. I've read that Microsoft is planning to extend the reach of these services after the introduction of WP8, but so far Redmond isn't giving specifics. They really need to get these services up world wide. Fast!

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I've also been on an OG Focus since November 2010. I was contemplating leaving WP this fall, mainly because I felt burned by AT&T's lack of support of the Focus post-Mango. Not really the OSs fault, but I was also not hearing much about WP8's features.

My concerns were put to rest starting this summer when Microsoft started revealing a little bit of WP8. The new Start screen and the microSD support got me excited (although some phones won't have the expansion slots). I also like Lenses as well as finally getting screenshot capture. The new hardware is equally exciting. The Lumia 920 rocks and so does the HTC 8X. The iPhone 5 didn't bring anything new to the table, so at that point my decision was made to stay with Windows Phone. The cool thing is that there is more to be revealed. I can't wait!!

pspbricker

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
You are absolutely correct that Microsoft placed A LOT of emphasis on security. At black hat conferences, diagrams of WP's OS architecture are often presented as an example of how security issues should be addressed. That said, hacking WP certainly isn't impossible. WP has much thicker armor than both Android or iOS, but it is only a matter of time until someone finds a hole to exploit. The difference between OS' is only in the number of holes and how easy they are to find.

Theoretically, this should already work, although you must enable data transmission over cellular (in WP's settings) and have some kind of data plan agreement with your carrier. WiFi is usually deactivated shortly after the device goes to sleep (a.k.a. when the display is shut off), and if data can't be sent over the cellular network, MS has no way of pushing notifications to your device. That is the most common reason why push notifications only appear after waking up the device. Hope you have some luck with that.

Nokia currently has most of their software guys working on WP related projects. Their goal is to reach feature parity with Symbian at some point, but they still have a long way to go (not surprising, since Nokia had years to work on Symbian). Anyway, we will get that rotating map at some point.

This is not quit correct. There is no fundamental difference between multitasking on WP7 and WP8. You will just be allowed to keep more than five apps open at once (you say 8), but just as before, these will not multitask. This is deliberate and a good thing. However, some specific features will be able to multitask (Note: features, NOT apps). So far, we know these features will multitask:

- background music
- background location (GPS apps)

Your VOIP apps will benefit from this, but your IM apps will not. Background VOIP will allow you to navigate to other apps (like the calendar) while continuing to talk.

I agree. Most countries can't use local Scout or Bing cards. Most can't use Microsoft's audio recognition service. Most don't have access to Zune Music or Videos. This is the biggest flaw in WP at this time. Apple rolled this out in most western countries within two years. I have no idea what Microsoft plans to do, but I know a lot of Europeans aren't happy with this situation and ready to bolt. I've read that Microsoft is planning to extend the reach of these services after the introduction of WP8, but so far Redmond isn't giving specifics. They really need to get these services up world wide. Fast!
"This is not quit correct. There is no fundamental difference between multitasking on WP7 and WP8. You will just be allowed to keep more than five apps open at once (you say 8), but just as before, these will not multitask. This is deliberate and a good thing. However, some specific features will be able to multitask (Note: features, NOT apps). So far, we know these features will multitask:

- background music
- background location (GPS apps)"

I would like someone to clear this up for me .... IM Apps like Whatsapp will close down when it becomes the 9th task open?
Wouldn't it have been a more logical move to integrate 3rd party IM apps into the "Messaging" hub, creating a unique feature. Think I'm right in saying that the messaging hub runs as a multitasking feature.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'll explain my issues a little better. When I'm home, I connect via wifi.
When my screen is on - or plugged into the charger - I receive all notifications, IMs and emails , more or less instantaneously. When the screen is off, I don't. Pretty sure this is a battery saving feature embedded into WP - notifications are pulled every 30 mins when the device is inactive and not charging. No, I don't have Battery saver mode on and I have full data coverage. To test, I sent myself an email from my laptop. The Lumia screen is off, and email notifications are on. 20 Mins later, I still haven't received an email notification. I turn the screen on, and 3 seconds later I receive the notification - in fact all notifications. This could be because I connect via wifi, and WP7 disconnects Wifi when screen is off and not charging to preserve battery, but It's pretty poor and I'm hoping this will change in WP8.

I don't really know how to explain my maps gripe any better. I'm talking about when I need directions on foot (not car). Come out of a subway, and search for a Coffee shop; Maps shows you directions from where you are to where you want to go - so far, so good. But because Maps doesn't use a "Compass mode" like Gmaps on Android or Nokia Maps on Symbian, the device doesn't know which way you are facing. The display does not change when you rotate to find your bearings. Yes, once Maps determines your direction of travel, it's easy enough to find my destination, but it must be relatively easy to include Compass mode.

I have noticed some of those email quirks as well. Sometimes my phone gets emails when locked for a long time, sometimes not. I would make sure you have them set to "as items arrive" in the email sync options. I am not sure if this is an OS problem, data server problem, or just a fluke at times. I also notice that the live tile does not work until you unlock the screen. My email tile will quickly count to the number of new emails after I unlock. Not sure why it would not just be ready with the number when the screen is unlocked. Its like the OS fetches the new count and displays it as the counts come back in. Or maybe its on purpose.

I understand your compass request. I would like to see one, but I have a good sense of direction and can almost immediately know what direction I am facing even in unknown areas. Middle of the desert on an over cast day may be a bit difficult for me since I have never experienced that type of location, but most others I am good.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed some of those email quirks as well. Sometimes my phone gets emails when locked for a long time, sometimes not. I would make sure you have them set to "as items arrive" in the email sync options. I am not sure if this is an OS problem, data server problem, or just a fluke at times. I also notice that the live tile does not work until you unlock the screen. My email tile will quickly count to the number of new emails after I unlock. Not sure why it would not just be ready with the number when the screen is unlocked. Its like the OS fetches the new count and displays it as the counts come back in. Or maybe its on purpose.

I understand your compass request. I would like to see one, but I have a good sense of direction and can almost immediately know what direction I am facing even in unknown areas. Middle of the desert on an over cast day may be a bit difficult for me since I have never experienced that type of location, but most others I am good.

I'm bothered by the live tile thing as well. I like how it has a count of Me notifications, but when you open it up, you have to wait for the notifications to be downloaded. Why isn't it ready to go? You've counted them, so download them.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I would like someone to clear this up for me .... IM Apps like Whatsapp will close down when it becomes the 9th task open? Wouldn't it have been a more logical move to integrate 3rd party IM apps into the "Messaging" hub, creating a unique feature. Think I'm right in saying that the messaging hub runs as a multitasking feature.

Yes, it will be closed.

In theory at least, you shouldn't care about having WP close your IM app though. Provided the IM app is implemented correctly, and the company providing that IM app cares about delivering timely push notifications (some don't), you will receive push notifications in a short period of time (under a minute), even if the IM app is closed. See this for details.

Any app can receive push notifications even if it is not running, so you are worried about the wrong thing (multitasking isn't the issue). What you should be worrying about is the developer of your IM app not pushing messages to MPNS as fast as possible.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry but I'm calling BS to your post. You claim to have used a Focus for a year and a half and you're just joining this forum? Your Focus is your first smartphone yet you know all about the features of Android and you seem to know how to jailbreak?"

"I'm also calling BS. The fact you expect us to sell you on WP8 is crazy. Do your own homework and get off the dam fence!!! "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a little harsh aren't we? calm down and give him a reason to stick with the OS. i would personally rather read this thread than the countless other pointless threads about "what color phone will you get?" or "this phone is off my list" or "are you excited about MS ecosystem?' by all the teenie boppers that flood this forum now. no offense to those who wrote them... but come on...make this a techinically informative thread about reasons to migrate or stick with the OS.

so to the OP, read this 10 Reasons to Buy a Windows Phone 8

Great to see people helping to spread the word, but... Damn. That article was a grisly train wreck of the English language. Painful to read.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

i would personally rather read this thread than the countless other pointless threads about "what color phone will you get?" or "this phone is off my list" or "are you excited about MS ecosystem?' by all the teenie boppers that flood this forum now. no offense to those who wrote them... but come on...make this a techinically informative thread about reasons to migrate or stick with the OS.

so to the OP, read this 10 Reasons to Buy a Windows Phone 8

Hey! that's one of my threads you mentioned and I TAKE OFFENCE!

Hah..just kidding..I agree with you completely on this one...let's make this thread informative rather than a battlezone.. :)

Sent from my RaZr S3.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been on ios and android. My wife and i went back to the iphone 4s, but for all the apps it lacks a link with your life and pc. I never used a live account until today. Guess what! My wife's calendar shows without hassle now. We play halo and cod. Hmmm ios is missing that link. We communicate on so many levels that wp seems to actually be an option now. Not fond of the tiles, but hey i'm sick of the same size square on my iphone! We are moving to the wp htc 8x and not looking back!!!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That's why I'm stuck. Windows Phone works great as a phone and I can't deny it that, it's reliable. But the lack of customization and apps really hurts. I will absolutely not go to iPhone and I'm afraid to jump onto Android in fear of the lack of device support. Those terrible stories of phones not getting updates after a year or not at all is something I don't want. As well as the rapid release of Android phones, it's like every month the same phone gets released with a spec bump, which would make me feel like crap after just spending a couple hundred dollars on a phone only months previously.

It sounds like you're not happy with Windows Phone. To me, that's fine. No phone is ever going to make everyone happy, and that's why there's choice. I, for one, would thank you for giving it a shot and sticking with it when many would have given up and gone with the latest, greatest Android.

If you want my suggestion, as much as you say you won't go to iPhone, I tell all my friends that Windows Phone is best (of course I do - and my wife tells me Microsoft should be paying me - but there are about a dozen people at my small church - more than 10% - using WP), but if they don't like WP, go with iPhone. Why? I believe the article said, if I remember the numbers right, "10% of Android Apps a Cesspool of Malware". Yes, iOS has a closed system, as does Windows Phone (and now Windows 8). But there are good reasons. One of them is to keep the crap out. Here are a few samples that I've gathered:

IPhone and Android Apps Breach Privacy - WSJ.com
Sprint Memo Talks About Carrier IQ And Its Usage | Pocketnow
Android Trojan Records Phone Calls - Slashdot - This one actually records your phone calls - the audio
Software recording data & keystrokes on millions of smartphones. Windows Phone exempt? | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews
http://on.msnbc.com/ujR4Zk
Android Trojan Taps Your Phone Calls
Close to 10% of Android Apps festering pits of spyware, worms and premium SMS senders, getting worse | WMPoweruser
More Android Malware Uncovered - Tech Europe - WSJ
Google Pulls Malware-Infected Apps from Android Market | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

When a malicious app is discovered in Windows Phone, and there was one if I remember right... First it has to get past the testing, which this one did, IIRC, but once discovered, all Microsoft has to do is revoke its security certificate, and it will uninstall from all the phones it is on. I don't know first hand, but I've heard iPhone can do this, too. Android - good luck. It's up to you to 1. learn that there is a malicious app, and 2. remove it from your phone. And one of the stories above even talks of Angry Birds tracking locations in both Android and iPhone, if I remember right...

CoolBeit

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
First it has to get past the testing, which this one did, IIRC, but once discovered, all Microsoft has to do is revoke its security certificate, and it will uninstall from all the phones it is on.

I know what you're saying, but many of us do not consider this a positive thing....

Personally, I do not find the malware argument against android to be a compelling one. Android apps must declare their permissions and you can view this list on every app's page on the play store. I realize this takes a little bit more know-how and effort than letting Microsoft or Apple certify the app, but it's not that bad and I honestly don't understand why so many people have problems with malware on the android phones.

I am a long-time android user and malware has never been a problem for me. That said, I am planning to go to wp8 (assuming microsoft doesn't announce anything to turn me away on the 29th). My reasons are these:

-Tired of laggy ui performance
-Tired of clunky ui functionality
-Tired of the lack of updates (and I'm not really interested in the new nexus)
-LOVE the Nokia hardware

If the above are not important to you, and they're not to some people, AND you're not heavily invested in Microsoft services, Windows Phone may not be for you. Android is a good OS, just in different ways.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I know what you're saying, but many of us do not consider this a positive thing....

Personally, I do not find the malware argument against android to be a compelling one. Android apps must declare their permissions and you can view this list on every app's page on the play store. I realize this takes a little bit more know-how and effort than letting Microsoft or Apple certify the app, but it's not that bad and I honestly don't understand why so many people have problems with malware on the android phones.

I am a long-time android user and malware has never been a problem for me. That said, I am planning to go to wp8 (assuming microsoft doesn't announce anything to turn me away on the 29th). My reasons are these:

-Tired of laggy ui performance
-Tired of clunky ui functionality
-Tired of the lack of updates (and I'm not really interested in the new nexus)
-LOVE the Nokia hardware

If the above are not important to you, and they're not to some people, AND you're not heavily invested in Microsoft services, Windows Phone may not be for you. Android is a good OS, just in different ways.

Want to know why I'm buying a Windows Phone? Here's why:

I first read this. Told this to a friend who was buying an S3. He didn't believe me...

http://www.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-dodges-black-hat-2012-certificate-vulnerability

Then this actually happens...

http://www.techlounge.co.uk/1304/hackers-attack-the-galaxy-s3.html

More:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57...sung-handsets-vulnerable-to-remote-wipe-hack/

And if u have time, read this entire thread. It is very very informative as it tells u how it is near-impossible to crack open WP:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1722623

Sent from my RaZr 4X HD...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss