This is why AT&T is the premier partner!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Say what you will about other carriers and other OEMs, I think with WP8, we can all say at some point, that MSFT premier partners are chosen wisely!

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xGDyxYsiRE4[/YT]

Aren't these the ads we were always shouting for?

Put this kind of ads from AT&T in combination with what Nokia smugly did with iPhone 5 queue advert

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQg7ty3oIZ0[/YT]

and those MSFT (4 ads) that have now vanished off the internet

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RS0fz1wArV8[/YT]

They all have money to finally show the real sort of ads.

"What can this phone do?" kind.

I doubt Sammy, HTC or Verizon or Sprint will put these kind of marketing efforts!

So say what you will MSFT, Nokia and AT&T have a plan and are doing it well together.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think other wireless carriers wouldn't push this phone? Plus, in a matter of months after the 920 is released by AT&T, the sales associates will go back to directing people to Android phones, even when they specifically ask for WP. :dry

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think other wireless carriers wouldn't push this phone? Plus, in a matter of months after the 920 is released by AT&T, the sales associates will go back to directing people to Android phones, even when they specifically ask for WP. :dry

And other carriers won't do the same?

I don't think any of those carriers will/have so far made any such adverts, have they?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

WP8 is generating a buzz now. In different forums (even my college football forum) people are starting to bring it up as a legitimate choice, and all the comments have been generally positive. Even jaded sales reps won't be able to ignore it for too long.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think other wireless carriers wouldn't push this phone?

Surely, no carrier is going to bother putting out multi-million pounds adverts for a phone thats available on every other carrier.

By the same measure, if AT&T have paid to have an exclusive on a phone, they be trying to sell it to every person walking through the door, to recoup their expenses.

Nokia needs sales people with the incentive to sell their phones. Simply having a 920 on a shelf is just not enough.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Say what you will about other carriers and other OEMs, I think with WP8, we can all say at some point, that MSFT premier partners are chosen wisely!

Click to view quoted video

Aren't these the ads we were always shouting for?

Put this kind of ads from AT&T in combination with what Nokia smugly did with iPhone 5 queue advert

and those MSFT (4 ads) that have now vanished off the internet

They all have money to finally show the real sort of ads.

"What can this phone do?" kind.

I doubt Sammy, HTC or Verizon or Sprint will put these kind of marketing efforts!

So say what you will MSFT, Nokia and AT&T have a plan and are doing it well together.

No offense, but in the US AT&T is the "premier partner" by default. T-Mobile does not have the market share nor capital (nor even sufficiently guaranteed future) to stake its existence on a new platform; Sprint opted out entirely with a four year commitment to buy/sell iPhones and a weak statement of offering Windows Phone eventually; and VZW is tied to Android, Apple, and (on the business side) BlackBerry, and has never shown any genuine commitment or even particular interest in the platform. Calling AT&T the premier partner is really more like saying that an only child is the parent's favorite. Of course they are doing some marketing but that is largely because they are the only carrier with any sort of a vested interest.

BTW, if those are the best ads people can come develop, both AT&T and Nokia should be firing a few people. One has a generic geek discussing miscellaneous features and the other insults iPhone users. For the first, you can find comparable geek talk for almost any phone and the second is no more clever than the Samsung ads that have been around for a while, and is far more likely to induce migraines and seizures.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Calling AT&T the premier partner is really more like saying that an only child is the parent's favorite. Of course they are doing some marketing but that is largely because they are the only carrier with any sort of a vested interest.
You make a good point, however since WP7 Day 1 Microsoft said they "selected" AT&T as their "Premier Partner." Granted, based on consumer base, the only other US carrier that Microsoft could've selected would've been Verizon, however Microsoft's relationship with Verizon back then was strained due to the Kin fiasco, as well as Verizon being tight with Motorola and Android in general (they still are, I suppose).

BTW, if those are the best ads people can come develop, both AT&T and Nokia should be firing a few people.
At least Nokia already started:
Nokia VP of Product Marketing leaves amid speculation of disappointed investors | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Big Ang for the WIN

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Surely, no carrier is going to bother putting out multi-million pounds adverts for a phone thats available on every other carrier.

By the same measure, if AT&T have paid to have an exclusive on a phone, they be trying to sell it to every person walking through the door, to recoup their expenses.

Nokia needs sales people with the incentive to sell their phones. Simply having a 920 on a shelf is just not enough.

OMG I couldn't agree more. Ask a group of average cellphone users (ie users that don't read sites like WPCentral) why they picked the phone they have and the two answers you will most likely get are "The salesperson told me this was the best phone" and "All my friends have this phone".

Did any of your friends have a Blackberry Pearl? I'll bet about 90% of all BB Pearl sales were because "the guy at the store convinced me to get this phone".

Getting the salesperson on your side is the MOST important thing in trying to sell cellphones. Having a 1.5 GHz processor instead of a 1.2GHz one, or a 4.5inch screen compared to a 4.3 inch one are MINOR compared to a salesperson that will talk about the phone like it's the best thing since sliced bread and will make the customer feel like buying this particular phone is the natural thing to do.

920 exclusivity on AT&T will suck for those on T-Mobile or Verizon, and some people will choose a different OS or manufacturer instead of switching. But I'm sure the overall sales of the Lumia 920 will be much higher this way. This way you'll have a company and salesforce (hopefully) that will be pushing and promoting the phone. Having the Lumia 920 on all the carriers means you'll probably have a handful of Lumias in every store collecting dust, until a customer specifically asks for that phone (and is not persuaded to get a different one by the salesperson).

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
Meanwhile, the sales staff at resellers are also going to have to be properly trained...

During a stroll through a local mall the other day, I noticed the BestBuy store completely removed any trace of the pathetically small Windows Phone display they once had.

The kiosks never had Windows Phone on display, so no change there.

OTOH, a single plastic demo WP shell now graces the other shells at Target. So that's new and nice to see.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile promoted the **** out of the Radar and L710, and they both got updates! Why would people think just because all carriers have the same phone means they won't promote it, carriers make money off of your 2 year contract, not phone sales.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
WP8 is generating a buzz now. In different forums (even my college football forum) people are starting to bring it up as a legitimate choice, and all the comments have been generally positive. Even jaded sales reps won't be able to ignore it for too long.

I have to agree. People are talking about "the new Windows Phone," as though it's just arrived and they want to learn more. Finally, some awareness!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site

T-Mobile USA's entire massive advertising campaign right now is based entirely around the Galaxy S III as the halo device (and the network's speed, reach, reliability and low price).

Every carrier in the US carries the S III, even the small prepaid networks.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
...and how well did that work out the 1st time? Don't get me wrong, if Nokia and MS don't offer what I want then I just won't spend money with them...but they sold what..600K L900's? ...and yet they repeat that? Most people on AT&T are locked in with their Titans, Titans 2s, L900's, iPhones and SG3's...where are all the people buying the L920 exclusively going to come from? This will bite MS and Nokia in the behind, trust me.

Last edited:

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
...and how well did that work out the 1st time? Don't get me wrong, if Nokia and MS don't offer what I want then I just won't spend money with them...but they sold what..600K L900's? ...and yet they repeat that? Most people on AT&T are locked in with their Titans, Titans 2s, L900's, iPhones and S3's...where are all they people buying the L920 exclusively going to come from? This will bite MS and Nokia in the behind, trust me.

I agree. Heck, I ran into a titan 2 owner tonight and he's far from happy. Not only was he sold a legacy device, his phone hasn't been updated. The sad thing is that he blames Microsoft and HTC when really its all on ATT. Pretty sad that ATT is buying eights to these devices only to not support them after purchase. Far from ideal for the advancement of wp8.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)