Guide for getting a new Phone from AT&T

jwckauman

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm new at this. I've had a Windows 7 Phone (Samsung Focus) from AT&T. My contract expires in Jan 2013. My thinking is that I want to get the new Nokia 920 as soon as it is released. With that, what are my chances of being able to find an AT&T reseller who will
  1. Renew my contract for another 2 years
  2. Upgrade my focus to the Nokia 920 Cyan for no charge (or very minimal like $1 or $19)
  3. Waive the upgrade fee ($38)
  4. Get the phone to me on the first available date possible

If that is indeed possible, can anyone help me figure out the way to go about this? I have a friend who swears up and down he has never had to pay for a new phone, nor an upgrade fee, as long as he renews his contract.

Thanks!
jwckauman

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
2 is possible if you wait for a penny sale or dollar sale like last year right after thanksgiving. I got my Titan for $0.01 as my upgrade.

jwckauman

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Do the penny or dollar sells happen at launch, or do you have to be patient and wait? If I can't be patient, what do you think I'll have to pay for a Nokia 920 with a new two-year contract on day one?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Penny/dollar sales are rare for brand-new phones, but they DO happen. There's not telling what vendors will do sometimes.

Number 3 (avoiding an upgrade fee) should be fairly simple if you let your contract expire. Before that, maybe yes, maybe no. I've seen offers that waive the upgrade fee. You can simply ask if they are willing to waive it. Sometimes they look at your customer record and let it slide. Also, are you a Premier member? That helps as well, but not for getting a phone like the 920 for a penny/dollar or anything like that.

Best thing to do is wait until your contract expires, unless a penny/dollar deal comes up before.

chriscookz

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I would say your best bet for a penny sale is the day after Thanksgiving. Other then that who can say when or if there will be one?

If there's no sale on release, which I highly doubt there will be, then you're probably looking at $199 on contract for the 920. That seems to be what people are expecting it to go for. But again, official prices have NOT been released yet so no one really knows, and those that do aren't talking.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
  2. Upgrade my focus to the Nokia 920 Cyan for no charge (or very minimal like $1 or $19)

1 = no issue (2 months before full 24 months is standard)
2 = $199 more then likely with no upgrade fee
3 = just ***** a bit, ask them if they can waive it - they will put you on hold and do it
4 = complete 1-3 and 4 is a go as well.

jwckauman

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Penny/dollar sales are rare for brand-new phones, but they DO happen. There's not telling what vendors will do sometimes.

Number 3 (avoiding an upgrade fee) should be fairly simple if you let your contract expire. Before that, maybe yes, maybe no. I've seen offers that waive the upgrade fee. You can simply ask if they are willing to waive it. Sometimes they look at your customer record and let it slide. Also, are you a Premier member? That helps as well, but not for getting a phone like the 920 for a penny/dollar or anything like that.

Best thing to do is wait until your contract expires, unless a penny/dollar deal comes up before.
May I ask what is a Premier member?

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm new at this. I've had a Windows 7 Phone (Samsung Focus) from AT&T. My contract expires in Jan 2013. My thinking is that I want to get the new Nokia 920 as soon as it is released. With that, what are my chances of being able to find an AT&T reseller who will

If that is indeed possible, can anyone help me figure out the way to go about this? I have a friend who swears up and down he has never had to pay for a new phone, nor an upgrade fee, as long as he renews his contract.

Thanks!
jwckauman

...You are not getting a 920 for $20 on launch lol. It will be $150-$199.

The only ones that go for that cheap are old ones.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Amazon did an every phone for a penny sale last black friday. AT&T did an almost every phone for a penny sale that whole weekend. The Titan was like 6 days post launch at that point and was included in both sales. If either company repeats these sales, the 920 will no doubt be included in it.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The guide to getting an AT&T device is simple.

1) Ensure that you have at least one child. If you don't, go to step 2, otherwise skip to step 3.

2) If you have no child, adopt or conceive one.

3) Bring your first-born to AT&T's local store, along with your immortal soul.

4) Exchange both for a two year contract and new device, along with several hundred dollars.

Congratulations! You now own a new AT&T device! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium