Have "custom hubs" been spotted yet?

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I saw references to "custom hubs" coming in WP8 that were supposed to act like folders for live tiles. Has this feature been seen yet in the SDK leaks or the 920 video or anywhere else? Has there been any info released about it?

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I saw references to "custom hubs" coming in WP8 that were supposed to act like folders for live tiles. Has this feature been seen yet in the SDK leaks or the 920 video or anywhere else? Has there been any info released about it?

I would love this. No new info yet. I saw that some support guy who was asking people to vote on features for Windows Phone said that custom hubs were in the planned stage. I was really hoping for them in WP8.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Would this be for users? Interesting idea. Not sure the huge advantage, but I am all in favor of whatever adds to customization. How would you use it?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Live Tile folders are simple. They aren't going to take much work, and I think it's more the case of Microsoft not wanting them. For a "custom hub" to make sense, apps would have to provide some information past their Live Tiles to plug in to that hub. For example, it might make sense to have a custom News hub where WP Central, Engadget, etc could plug in to a unified feed and provide headlines plus a few intro lines, like RSS.

I don't see us getting truly custom hubs because I don't see how the foundations could be coded. How can you ask developers to just include functionality that will provide items for a feed, without knowing what that feed will be? And if custom hubs are just a bunch of Live Tiles, that makes less sense than just giving multiple home screens.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
In a leaked video about ATIV, we saw a "Kid's corner" that could be setup and accessed by swiping to the right from the lock screen instead of up, and this would only show set of apps/tiles you have decided to be there.

The original idea is so that you can give your phone to the kid and put it to the "kids corner" and this way they cant mess up anything you dont want them to mess up. I think it mentioned too that it would/could require a password to leave the kids corner so that the smart kid wont just re-lock and open the phone to access the "adults side" :p

I dont have kids, but I can come up with uses for that kinda thing.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
In a leaked video about ATIV, we saw a "Kid's corner" that could be setup and accessed by swiping to the right from the lock screen instead of up, and this would only show set of apps/tiles you have decided to be there.

The original idea is so that you can give your phone to the kid and put it to the "kids corner" and this way they cant mess up anything you dont want them to mess up. I think it mentioned too that it would/could require a password to leave the kids corner so that the smart kid wont just re-lock and open the phone to access the "adults side" :p

I dont have kids, but I can come up with uses for that kinda thing.

Exactly... If live tiles actually update in the kid's corner, my kid's corner is going to be full of News/Rss apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte