Xbox Music Won?t Be Available On Windows Phone 7.X Devices.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Once again another sad story from Microsoft this early morning when I woke up. I'm getting used to this now and really want to ask; WHEN IS MICROSOFT GOING TO MAKE US (LEGACY DEVICE OWNERS) HAPPY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE???????
This is total neglect of our WP7.5/7.X devices and it's really not fun at all. Are they forcing us to upgrade?
Really don't wanna say much to ruin my day because this is what I call "The Curse of an Early Adopter"......I've had enough of Microsoft punishing us early WP adopters and true WP Lovers. Thank you Microsft for serving us better. I now have to prepare myself for MORE BAD NEWS FROM MICROSOFT in the coming months cuz I know there are more to come.
:(
Xbox Music is not available on Windows Phone 7 or Windows 7 | The Verge

Last edited:

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
"Microsoft tells us that existing Windows Phone and Windows 7 users will be able to continue using the Zune Music service, providing access to the same catalogue of songs as Xbox Music."

I do not understand what all your fuss is about.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The way i read it, WP7 still has everything it had before, its just getting no new features.

Unfortunately Microsoft are a business, and even though we love WP7, i'm certain it's been nothing other than a big money pit for Microsoft.

Strategically, i'm sure WP7 has little or no value to Microsoft. Same for all the OEMs except Nokia.

WP8 is the future, and part of me does worry, that if WP8 doesn't take off very quickly, Microsoft will just drop it, like they have done with WP7.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah even though I intend to upgrade to a WP8 device its just because I can juggle my upgrades around. The way MS goes about this whole thing is disgusting. It wouldn't have been so bad if Nokia hadn't launched the Lumia 900 so late in the game when all companies involved knew what was going to happen.

It does make my very wary of WP8 but hopefully by the time WP9 or whatever they are calling it hits I will be actually eligible for an upgrade.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The way i read it, WP7 still has everything it had before, its just getting no new features.

Unfortunately Microsoft are a business, and even though we love WP7, i'm certain it's been nothing other than a big money pit for Microsoft.

Strategically, i'm sure WP7 has little or no value to Microsoft. Same for all the OEMs except Nokia.

WP8 is the future, and part of me does worry, that if WP8 doesn't take off very quickly, Microsoft will just drop it, like they have done with WP7.

That's exactly I think the concern they keep doing it this way and they are setting a bad precedent for how they go about their business.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't have been so bad if Nokia hadn't launched the Lumia 900 so late in the game when all companies involved knew what was going to happen..

Why? Are Nokia supposed to not build a single phone for 9 months, just so they don't annoy anyone? Whats an acceptable time period? 9 months? 12? 18? 24?

Lets also not forget, if the 800 or 900 had sold 100s of millions of units, it would be financially viable for Microsoft to do more work to get WP8 on legacy devices, or start back porting as much as is possible to WP7.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
It will be available on ios and android so you would think users of their own mobile OS would be considered for the new features on their current devices. Its not as though MS would lose anything as they pay for Zune Pass already, and especially when the service will be available on competing platforms. Its good PR, but then we all know we have been in a beta test, don't we? :D

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
It will be available on ios and android so you would think users of their own mobile OS would be considered for the new features on their current devices.

Android and iOS have competing services, and 100s of millions of users, so it would be stupidity NOT to put xbox music on there.

Theres only a couple of million WP7 users, and Microsoft have figures for just how many users use the current service. If the current number of subscribers is small, then why bother upgrading?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It will be available on ios and android so you would think users of their own mobile OS would be considered for the new features on their current devices. Its not as though MS would lose anything as they pay for Zune Pass already, and especially when the service will be available on competing platforms. Its good PR, but then we all know we have been in a beta test, don't we? :D

This!

Even though I'm upgrading to Wp8 next month, I don't think it's fair that MS should leave behind their loyal customers.

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
This news has me very confused. But the way I read a article about this is that "current" devices will not get Xbox music. So does that mean we will see it on 7.8, as that is not the current WP OS? Just makes no sense that MS would do this, while giving it to other platforms. ???

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So, what happens if you still use an old Zune, but upgrade your PC and phone to 8? Will you have to have Music and Zune installed to service the new and the old?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll be getting a WP8 close to launch, but this still makes me sad for those stuck on 7.5. You would think this would be fairly easy to add to the 7.8 update.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Android and iOS have competing services, and 100s of millions of users, so it would be stupidity NOT to put xbox music on there.

Theres only a couple of million WP7 users, and Microsoft have figures for just how many users use the current service. If the current number of subscribers is small, then why bother upgrading?

I don't care how small the market is. Its seriously the same problem with skype after the acquisition. The skype app was available for ALL other platforms even symbian, but not for wp. Do you know how stupid that makes a user feel when their own parent company of their phone does not have an app for your phone? Friends with iphones laughed as they could facetime with other apple users. They laughed even harder when they found out that I did not have a skype app which was owned by MS to message with them. I told them, "Yeah, how about Tango? That is also on iphone, right?"

Back up MS all you want. This is really unacceptable treatment of their core user group. I am thick skinned so do not care about the banter between friends, but some do care about how they are perceived.

If its the same service, its just a GUI update thats needed. Not that its simple, but its not impossible for a very small team of a few engineers.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Back up MS all you want. This is really unacceptable treatment of their core user group. I am thick skinned so do not care about the banter between friends, but some do care about how they are perceived.

Maybe i've just become jaded, after (nearly) 2 years of WP, but i now accept they are a business, and we are just a tiny subset of a much bigger picture.

Talk all you want about "Core user group", but Skype, xbox music, etc is far bigger than WP. They are both competing with Apple and Google services, which are currently far bigger, and better than Microsoft's offering. Microsoft is fighting an uphill battle with these services (and WP), and are targetting the bigger user group.

Annoying a couple of million WP users is far less of a problem than losing 100s of millions of Android or iOS users to Google or Apple.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

If they are even just 10 current WP users, these are the people that have kept MS in the mobile game since 2010. If it wasnt for early adopter WP wouldnt be anywhere now, and this is Microsoft's own mobile OS so there's really no excuse to cut them out completely.

And if the current number of subscribers are so small how does that bode for the new service when WP still has pathetic marketshare overall? Wouldnt it be better to take your current userbase along to start the service off?

Maybe i've just become jaded, after (nearly) 2 years of WP, but i now accept they are a business, and we are just a tiny subset of a much bigger picture.

Talk all you want about "Core user group", but Skype, xbox music, etc is far bigger than WP. They are both competing with Apple and Google services, which are currently far bigger, and better than Microsoft's offering. Microsoft is fighting an uphill battle with these services (and WP), and are targetting the bigger user group.

Annoying a couple of million WP users is far less of a problem than losing 100s of millions of Android or iOS users to Google or Apple.

I think they've already lost those 100's of millions of users, nothing they do is likely to get them back.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
LOL. MS don't seem to give much of a **** about their current users. They pretty much telling people to upgrade if they want new features.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Right, it's like MS think they can afford to lose current subscribers. Guess they gonna sell 10,000,000 new phones.

I heard they are going to send early adopters "I was the first with a WP7 device, and all I got was the lousy Tshirt" t-shirt when WP8 came out."
If they are even just 10 current WP users, these are the people that have kept MS in the mobile game since 2010. If it wasnt for early adopter WP wouldnt be anywhere now, and this is Microsoft's own mobile OS so there's really no excuse to cut them out completely.

And if the current number of subscribers are so small how does that bode for the new service when WP still has pathetic marketshare overall? Wouldnt it be better to take your current userbase along to start the service off?

I think they've already lost those 100's of millions of users, nothing they do is likely to get them back.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Why? Do you work for Microsoft??.....just asking ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss