Response to Phone Dog's article on Windows 8 OS/Phones

giper54

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I read this article from Phone Dog the other day. Does anyone know if Windows 8 address the author's concerns? Here is the article

Why I'm wary of switching to Windows Phone 8 | PhoneDog

I've said at least 100 times before that Windows Phone shows great promise. Windows Phone 8 is just a few short weeks ahead, and I'm getting quite excited for what it has in store and what Nokia and Microsoft have come together to produce. (HTC and Microsoft have paired to create some rather svelte devices, too.)

The Windows Phone 8 update brings a bevy of new features, such as a refined home screen and support for various hardware improvements: SD cards, NFC, multi-core architecture and 720p display resolution. There is also an updated camera application, the ability to screen capture and tiny refinements throughout the entire operating system.

In short, this update is Windows Phone's coming of age, a transition from adolescence into adulthood. Windows Phone is beginning its journey into maturity, refinement and being a well-oiled machine. It will also be stepping form the shadows to duke it out with BlackBerry 10 over the currently unoccupied third ecosystem position. But as the launch of the Lumia 920 and other Windows Phone 8 devices nears, I can't help but remember the reasons I have never been able to stay with Windows Phone in the past. And I can't help but wonder whether the changes in Windows Phone 8 will answer some of the outlying issues I and many others have with the platform.

Below are a few reasons I have my doubts about Windows Phone 8.

Application and game support, investments

There is no doubt Microsoft has done a lot to nurture and grow the Windows Phone [Marketplace] Store. In just under two years, developers have created over 100,000 applications for Windows Phone. For contrast, BlackBerry has been around for ages and developers have been making apps for BlackBerry for the better part of a decade. Research In Motion launched BlackBerry App World in April 2009. As of May this year, there were just 99,500 applications in App World, most of which are specifically for the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.

Still, while 100,000 applications is nothing to scoff at, that's only about half of what both Android and iOS had at their two-year marks. According to Wikipedia, App Store had over 225,000 at 23 months and Play Store (then Android Market) had 200,000 apps at 26 months.

The typical counterargument, however is, "There are 100,000 applications. That should be more than enough." In theory, that may be true. But in practice, it's easy to find that only a fraction of those 100,000 apps are quality apps worth downloading. Not to mention, I have come to love many applications on Android and iOS, such as: Snapseed or Picsay Pro, Pocket, Zite, Instagram, Chrome, Reeder or Reader HD, Google Voice, iA Writer and Epistle, Google Drive, Bitly, iDisplay and many more (which I touched on here).

Sure, I can find some alternatives or third-party remakes of some of the current apps I use. But that's a lot of digging (which I'm willing to do) that will likely result in me having to do without some of my favorite apps and services. Not to mention, I've spent upwards of $400 (possibly much more) on applications for both iOS and Android. I will be essentially starting fresh with Windows Phone.

Google Apps accessibility

Speaking of apps and services, I have explained in the past that I am heavily invested in Google Apps. I have six or more Gmail accounts and four Google Apps accounts for various reasons. For much of the work I do, I depend on Google services, such as Drive, Talk, Voice, Gmail, Contacts, Calendar and Reader.

There are certainly third-party apps for Google Voice, Talk and Reader. And Gmail, Contacts and Calendar sync can be setup almost effortlessly. I can even access Drive through the mobile browser, if need be. But the experience is greatly hindered, along with some functionality.

Luckily, I will always have an Android device with me wherever I go. I can rely on a second device to get the job done. But it would be nice to be able to access all of these services and applications from Windows Phone, too. In short, however, it means I will never be able to use Windows Phone as a primary platform.

Application resume times

On issue I have had since my first round with Windows Phone were applications resume times. Unlike iOS or Android which load the last application instantaneously after unlocking the device, if you let your Windows Phone device time out and unlock it a few minutes later, Windows Phone opens to a "Resuming?" splash page that sometimes takes up to 10 seconds (or more) to load an application.

The premise was that they were improved in the latest update, Mango. After some hands-on time with Mango on an HD7 and then with the Nokia Lumia 900, I learned that this hadn't really been addressed as I had hoped.

Also, because of the way Windows Phone handles multitasking (or task switching, really), applications that require staying open in the background don't always work as intended. Instant messaging applications, for example, may still be in the background, but they pause and notifications stop altogether until you open the application back up. And unlike other platforms, if you switch back and forth between apps while carrying on an instant messaging conversation, on Windows Phone, the application will sometimes "resume" every time you switch back to the app, meaning you have to wait for the application to resume before opening the conversation back up.

None of this is exactly a deal-breaker, but over time, things like this really begin to pick away at my nerves. Here's to hoping multi-core architecture can assist in task switching/multitasking.

Notifications

Lastly, a low point of Windows Phone has always been its notification system. In contrast from BlackBerry, Android and iOS, which all have a centralized location for unattended notifications, Windows Phone notifies users once of incoming notifications before they become scattered across the home screen on live tiles.

The only way to tell if you have missed a notification is to check the home screen. However, if you do not have a tile placed for the particular application you received a notification for, you will have to happen upon the notification within the app itself.

On a brighter note, Microsoft has added the ability for third-party applications to display notifications on the lock screen. But that still doesn't address the need for a single, centralized location for incoming and missed notifications.

I'm still looking forward to Windows Phone 8 and the Lumia 920. But I am very wary of Windows Phone and the improvements Microsoft has made. It has added some much-needed capabilities and features to the OS, but I'm afraid it may have missed some of the finer details. I fear we may have to wait until the next update for some of those and that I will find myself in the same boat as last time.

What say you, folks? Are you excited about Windows Phone 8 and the respective hardware? Or, like me, do you still have your reservations about Windows Phone? If so, what are they?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Why am I wary of switching to Windows Phone 8.

"I edit my main post to give a personal response and make this topic less redundant."

I agree with him in various points, but the app situation and lack of google services isn't really Microsoft fault and nothing can get be done, until the devices are in the hands on more people.

Applications and the fake multitasking is done in a really bad way, It gets very annoying after a while, thankfully Windows Phone 8 brings real multitasking.

I myself am a bit on the edge between the Note 2, OneX+ and the 8X on T-mobile. And can wait for everything to be unveiled at the 29th.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
App resume time and Notification issue is a valid argument.

I could picture myself waiting before the phone, as it just kept 'resuming....' my app. And notifications too. Unless you had the mail app or whatever app on the start screen, it never bothered to bother you..

Sent from my RaZr S3.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I became doubtful of my decision to switch over to Windows Phone 8 as well when I read this article. I hope that multitasking and notifications delays are repaired with Windows Phone 8. It may be a deal breaker for me because I couldn't deal with that.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That HTC J Butterfly announcement change my world completely. I think I'm going to buy an unlock 8S on T-mobile and get that phone/similar spec phone when my contract runs out on March :).

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not saying his worries wouldnt be valid or relevant, but all the things he mentioned are pretty much non-issues for me. My primary email and cloud service atm is Gmail and Google Drive/docs, but most of it is just archiving, really. I have no downside from deciding to switch my primary service over to Microsoft, which I will do when I get the Lumia 920.

The only thing that would bother me could be the app resuming thing, but his description of the problem didnt sound familiar to me in how I use my phone, except if that would happen if the phone timed out when browser is on top.

Ohoy, WP8, here I come!

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not exactly concerned as...

1) I am not invested in any Google stuff save for youtube.

2) I just need whatsapp, facebook, twitter, pulse. Things that are in WP already.

3) We don't know how app resume time and notifications will be handled as yet. I will be concerned over it when it is done as poorly as it is in WP7.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Again, the notifications problem is a real issue. If they think adding more alerts to the lock screen is the answer, they're wrong. Even making the toast notifications stay until you either swipe them away or click them to go to the app would probably be enough to fix it, but 5 lock screen icons won't make this problem go away.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What is the point of writing a huge article about how you're wary of Windows Phone 8 when you've never even used it, based upon things everyone already knows about Windows Phone 7?

Useless article.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
If one is heavily invested in Google then it makes sense to buy an Android device for the best experiance. To get the best out of Windows Phone invest in the Microsoft eco-system. This goes for Apple and iPhones too. The only real valid arguments are the application resume times and notifications. The notifications can be fixed if Microsoft release a notification center or allow 3rd party apps to plug into some global API.

As for true multitasking as far as i'm aware it is only available for GPS enabled applications. I hope with the newer hardware the resume for 3rd party apps will be quicker.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Eh... The only Google app I use on my current phone, an iPhone 4, is YouTube, and I use that rarely. Obviously, that author is fixed with the Android platform (which I've never personally used). The notifications thing is bogus to me, because I'm the type of person who regularly checks my phone and have it next to me nearly all the time. So, even if I missed a call or text, I'll see it soon enough.

I sort of get his argument about apps, but as an iOS user, I'm willing to switch to WP8 for the overall experience. I don't need to have a million apps on my phone - out of the 52 I have for my iPhone, I only have 39 on my phone at the moment, and most of those are games. :blush: But it's no biggie. Plus, I know that the Windows Phone Store has all the truly important apps. I think the overall experience and smoothness of the OS is the most important thing. Call quality, too, of course. ;)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Multitasking and notifications are handled differently on Windows Phone 8 its a totally different experience from iOS and Android. Here are a few things

1. All VoIP and GPS enabled apps will run in the background. In terms of actual applications that's ALOT of apps from Viber, Skype to Running apps to Nokia Drive tons of apps use this feature.

2. You get a totally new home screen with resizable tiles. Need more notification information for an APP make the tile bigger. I think tiles display more data in WP8 similar to Windows 8 as long as it does that WP8 should be fine.

3. You get 8 cards that's more than enough to bounce back between applications

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree the notification thing and multitasking thing are terrible. Just this last Friday I can give an example. I was making a call from the phone app and I wanted to switch to the calendar app so I could look at an item during a call, but the OS would not allow it. In addition I ended up with the Phone app appearing in the multitasking view 3x!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Applications and the fake multitasking is done in a really bad way, It gets very annoying after a while, thankfully Windows Phone 8 brings real multitasking.

Where do you get this stuff Winterfang? It just isn't true. This is what is changing:

1) WP allows features to multitask (not entire apps), i.e. a feature Microsoft called "background music" allowed us to play music while simultaneously using other apps. Background file transfer was another such feature. For WP8 this will be expanded to features such as background location (navigation) and background VOIP.

2) Devices with more RAM (1GB instead of 512 MB) will allow us to fast-app-switch between more than just five apps.

Both of these concepts already exist in WP7, they've just been expanded upon in WP8. Multitasking in WP8 will be no more "true" than it was in WP7.

In general, WP8 apps will not multitask. Fast-app-switching is the closest WP will get to true multitasking (this is a deliberate design decision). Unfortunately, fast-app-switching isn't something the OS can automatically provide for each app. Instead, each app must support it explicitly, but this isn't mandatory for WP7. For WP8 I hope fast-app-switching support becomes mandatory. I don't know that it will be, but I am hopeful. This would also solve PhoneDog's (and many of our own) issues with lengthy application resume times, which WP can't solve on it's own if app developers aren't willing to do their part.

What say you, folks? Are you excited about Windows Phone 8 and the respective hardware? Or, like me, do you still have your reservations about Windows Phone? If so, what are they?

Even though PhoneDog aimed his "resume time" criticism at the wrong entity (OS instead of at apps), I think it is the only valid argument he made. Some are outright ridiculous: I could just as well fault Android for not supporting Microsoft SkyDrive as well as WP8 does... what does he expect?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers