Skype integration

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
im assuming kind of like how facebook is connected and when u receive/dial out it looks exactly the same as your regular phone

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope its like facetime but for anyone on your contact list with a Skype account. I hope it can call people not currently logged into skyp as well. The app sucks.

Menzlo

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
From what I understand, any voip app (including Skype obviously) can plug in deeply into the OS, allowing sending and receiving of calls to appear no different from regular calls. I'm assuming this means we'll be able to receive Skype calls when the app isn't launched. I'm also guessing we'll be able to link Skype accounts to contacts in the People's hub.

Here's some info about it from the Windows Phone 8 Summit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royJee1SQlY&t=1.21.17

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The summit at 1:22:00 starts talking about VOIP and skype. Will run in background so you can go to the web and other stuff just like it was a phone call. This is great.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Skype is fantastic. My 2 year old loves to pick up our ipad, and ring his grandparents who are thousands of miles away.

Even better as its free, and the video quality is pretty good. Only issues i've ever had are due to my parents dodgy internet connection.

If i could find some way of redirecting my phone number to skype, i'd never use a traditional phone again.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
On a random note, I do not know a single person RL who uses Skype o.o

Very true. When VOIP became big Skype was popular. **** I created my skype account when I was still on AIM. My skype name is even my old AIM name. I hope Skype can work with other VOIP programs without needing the other user on skype. So I could call my brother on his iphone with his facetime program.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Skype won't work with other VoIP programs. Facetime doesn't either. I mostly use Skype on IOS and its excellent.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Very true. When VOIP became big Skype was popular. **** I created my skype account when I was still on AIM. My skype name is even my old AIM name. I hope Skype can work with other VOIP programs without needing the other user on skype. So I could call my brother on his iphone with his facetime program.

There is a workaround, but it won't include video calling. Unlimited calling to the country of choice (please note that countries may let you call landlines and mobile, such as the US, or just landlines, such as the UK), and then buy a number for the country of your choice. I am thinking of doing this.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Why can't a VOIP program be created that can communicate with any other VOIP program?

Last edited:

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Why can't a VOIP program be created that can communicate with any other VOIP program?

i don't know the exact answer to this, but it probably has something to do with how each VOIP does it differently, like way back when AOL/IRC/Yahoo msg/MSN msg/ICQ/etc... were all the rage, they couldn't talk to each other either, then trillion came out and hacked it (well, that's the way I felt) so it can work with any messenger type, then there is probably licensing issues as well... who knows, but im guessing they don't want to have those things interact with software they (the companies) don't have control over

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i don't know the exact answer to this, but it probably has something to do with how each VOIP does it differently

Why do people so often look for technical answers to these types of questions? Given the will and some investors, engineers are usually extremely good at solving these types of technical challenges.

The truth is: it's about each VOIP service trying to become the first world's first truly global telecom company. None of them want an app that levels the playing field and makes them all interchangeable. It's about business and legal matters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12