Lumia 820/920 which one?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Did you read these on the Verge review?

" The all-new addition is an 88-degree field of view on the front-facing camera, which allows you to capture more in the frame when shooting ? it?s a change designed specifically to help fit as many people as possible into the picture when taking group portraits or conducting a video call. Disappointingly, the usual low image quality that plagues front-facing cameras is still very much apparent with the 8X, turning this into yet another neat marketing gimmick instead of a legitimate new feature. Though the front-facing camera can shoot 1080p video as well, the quality is lousy and there?s plenty of motion blur to spoil what little utility you can get out of it."

"Beats is best analogized to New Coke: your first taste of it may feel more alive and vibrant than the original, but over the long run, the experience starts to grate and you long to return to the unexaggerated sound. Fortunately, that option is just a couple of swipes away inside the 8X?s settings menu."

Yes, I also read this.

"The perfect counter to anyone who tells you that innovation in mobile design has been exhausted
"
"Nokia may have been first to use single-piece polycarbonate cases, but its Lumia 900 immediately feels dated when held alongside HTC's latest. The 8X is lighter, thinner, and just flat out better looking. "

"Everything is now crisper and more detailed, particularly when you jump into the web browser or review your photos. Additionally, with a pixel density of 342ppi, you can be assured that the only way you?ll see the actual dots on this display is through a magnifying glass or a macro lens. I tried and failed."

"Data speeds and voice reception were unremarkable ? the 3G bars stayed resolutely in place, I didn?t lose signal in any locations I wasn?t supposed to, and the 8X quickly recognized Wi-Fi hotspots at London underground stations while I travelled on the tube. Call clarity was consistently trouble-free, whether using the earpiece or the loudspeaker on the back."

"Video recording with the Windows Phone 8X was the thing that impressed me most about its camera. Even when shooting at the maximum 1080p resolution, there?s zero motion blur between frames. As traffic whizzes by in the sample video above, each frame is rendered faithfully and accurately, allowing you to pause and easily read finer details like the "John Mower" insignia on the white van crossing Oxford Street or the major stops along the route of the 390 bus"

They are lots of positives, I'm reading the Engadget review and they seem fascinated so far.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm watching the Verge Windows Phone 8 review and drooling at the mouth. Getting an 820 over the 8X is a fools choice.

What would you rather take, the face of Windows Phone 8 or a hand me down for poor people? There's no official Nokia app to turn water into wine, I rather have an all around better device.

Hey, here's an idea - how about cutting out the bashing of people who have opinions that are different from yours? You really are something else. You accused me of "bashing" a phone the other week, yet here you are bashing many people on this site who happen to prefer a different phone than the one(s) you like. Very mature.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not bashing anyone in particular. I'm bashing the idea of choosing a low end phone over a high end one, at the same price because of some apps.

Is a baffling decision that deserves mockery.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not bashing anyone in particular. I'm bashing the idea of choosing a low end phone over a high end one, at the same price because of some apps.

Can you clearly define what is high end and what is low end - in a single definition that will resonate with everyone?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

You may be speaking in general terms, but you're still bashing a whole group of people and it's rude. That's the bottom line.

I'm beginning to see why some members of this forum have placed you on their ignore list. I think I'd have a better chance of reasoning with a wall because you still don't get it...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey if you happen to fall in that group and be offended it wasn't my intention, but I can't stay quiet at such ridiculous advice that the topic creator will soon regret.

If you want a cheap option then that's fine but otherwise choose the 820 over the 8X and you are a sucker, plain and simple.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey if you happen to fall in that group and be offended it wasn't my intention, but I can't stay quiet at such ridiculous advice that the topic creator will soon regret.

If you want a cheap option then that's fine but otherwise choose the 820 over the 8X and you are a sucker, plain and simple.

There are multiple advantages on the 820 over the 8x as earlier mentioned in this thread. There's also advantages for the 8x over the 820. It's all about choice.

It's not as lopsided as you make it seem.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Honey if you really need an explanation then your problems are beyond being Nokia starstruck. Nice try though.

Oh, such vague and simple answers...

In an earlier post in this thread, I provided you with a link to a great outline on the perspectives of quality and how they impact business. Have you read it? Because it doesn't appear that you have. It really is insightful.

And, don't call me "Honey," either. It is creepy coming from you, or anyone else for that matter. I much prefer my wife be the only one that can get away with it :lol:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
@Winterfang - Just exactly who are you to tell anyone that the choices they make - be it about phones or anything else - are "foolish," "regrettable" or worthy of ridicule? Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're just one person on a huge planet, not the king or god of everyone. People have a right to their opinions and preferences without you or anyone else calling them names or insulting their choices.

For example, I may not care for the Ativ S or Samsung in general, but I wouldn't call you a fool just because you happen to like it. You might want to show others a bit of the same respect. NOW do you get it?

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The 8X is nice but the 16GB on non-expandable storage is it's downfall for me. After the OS, a bunch of apps, a downloaded offline map, some pictures you take and a some HD video just how much space is going to be available for your music and podcasts to listen to through Beats Audio?

For someone like me with 30GB of music on an iPod Touch that i'm looking to ditch for a single device I'm already going to have to do some serious pruning to get on the Lumia 920. I'd be either constantly streaming or swapping out files on a 16 GB phone.

The newly announced Lumia 822 is the content hoarder's dream. 16GB on-board and according to Nokia's official specs it can use a 64 GB SD card. some confusion there because Verizon says only 32 GB. either way a 48/80GB, on Verizon's LTE network, with Gorilla Glass 2, removable battery, Nokia's app advantage and with equivalent processor and RAM of the high-ends is really tempting. the only downside is it's not an HD screen. of course then again you could just get the Ativ-S for a high end screen and expandable storage but i'm also not a fan of the plastic body.

i'm going to have to give it some thought and read some more reviews on it before dropping money an off-contract Lumia 920.

Last edited:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Oh, such vague and simple answers...

In an earlier post in this thread, I provided you with a link to a great outline on the perspectives of quality and how they impact business. Have you read it? Because it doesn't appear that you have. It really is insightful.

And, don't call me "Honey," either. It is creepy coming from you, or anyone else for that matter. I much prefer my wife be the only one that can get away with it :lol:

I did, but you threw me one of those trap "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" questions and I couldn't really made long posts as I was on my WP7 devices.

Anyway I'm finally home, play with my dog a little and I'm not cranky anymore. I'm pretty chill, no more trolling for me today.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I did, but you threw me one of those trap "dammed if you do, dammed if you don't" questions and I couldn't really made long posts as I was on my WP7 devices.

Anyway I'm finally home, play with my dog a little and I'm not cranky anymore. I'm pretty chill, no more trolling for me today.

Fair enough, we'll continue this next time you're fired up and looking for a good debate! ;)

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who buys an HTC product over Nokia is NUTS. Why would you by a half *** invested partner over someone fully committed and offers much more value and is known for a more solid built phone compared to shoddy HTC phones??

Ha, I was totally trolling Winterfang and he didn't bite.

While I am not an HTC fan there is nothing wrong with going that route. WP is all one big family as far as I am concerned.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Actually there is nothing innovative in 8X. Same is the case with Lumia 820. Again, i think 8X is a copy cat phone of some other phone which i cannot remember.. I want something original.:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo