Microsoft's WP8 launch has been more of a misfire; now it's up to the marketing

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
After watching today's WP8 conference, I can't help but think the WP8 launch is a misfire. I base this on the following points:

- Staggered hardware announcements and non-announcements (Nokia and HTC revealed their devices too early; Samsung hasn't said squat)

- As of this post, little to no information on hardware release dates or pricing

- Public SDK won't be released until October 30; why the wait?

- The press conference today (October 29) didn't reveal much except:

- Facebook lock screen (nice!)
- Pandora (waiting until "early 2013" sucks)
- An ATIV Odyssey that had no image. How silly to show a slide with a placeholder like that.
- Why not talk about the notification row?
- Why not discuss NFC or MS Wallet? A couple of minutes would've sufficed (they could've borrowed from the excessively long Kids Corner segment).

- Today's press conference will be overshadowed by news of Hurricane Sandy. This is beyond Microsoft's control, but in essence, the press conference won't be covered by anything except tech media.

- The US media will be covering election news for the next couple of weeks. Did Microsoft take that into account?

I gave Microsoft the benefit of the doubt hoping some exciting stuff would be revealed. So much for that :p. The good news is that MS will be spending big, BIG $$$ on marketing. Hope it all works out.

I'm still getting a Lumia 920 ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea