Any new voice commands?

aceattorneymvp

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
For the most part, my Focus S does a better job at voice transcription than my wife's iPhone 5 (try: "ABBA Chiquitita Video" - always stumps iPhone), but I like how I can tell Siri to set a timer/calendar item.

Does WP8 have any such features?

Also, does WP8 allow using voice to tweet or post a Facebook update?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Scenario:

You can use Siri to update your Twitter status to : "Happy Christmas"

In the same time using ME Tile, I will update my status on Fb, Twitter, LinkedIn and Windows Live along with Skype to "Happy Christmas".

You choose.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Scenario:

In the same time using ME Tile, I will update my status on Fb, Twitter, LinkedIn and Windows Live along with Skype to "Happy Christmas".

You choose.
I like to use "Merry Christmas" myself, but you make a good point ;).

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i streamed the first session of the //build/ conference and the WP project lead mentioned the ability to interact more with apps using voice. my impression was that he was talking about more than just specific commands to launch apps and transcribe words but there weren't any specific examples given.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Scenario:

You choose.

The ideal scenario for some would be to do this using voice commands. I was hoping that Windows Phone 8 would add deeply integrated voice commands.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The ideal scenario for some would be to do this using voice commands. I was hoping that Windows Phone 8 would add deeply integrated voice commands.

Yes in ideal scenario I would also want it to make me a cuppa, but if we talk about competing with other platforms, what makes it faster for users?

Of course counter argument will be - Yeah but I don't want all networks, I want only Twitter and with Siri I can do it faster than ME tile. I won't argue there. But, since WP philosophy is to build the phone around everyone that matters to you, most like it wants to be as social as it can.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes in ideal scenario I would also want it to make me a cuppa, but if we talk about competing with other platforms, what makes it faster for users?

Of course counter argument will be - Yeah but I don't want all networks, I want only Twitter and with Siri I can do it faster than ME tile. I won't argue there. But, since WP philosophy is to build the phone around everyone that matters to you, most like it wants to be as social as it can.

I completely agree, but I don't think it is unreasonable to hold the windows key and say 'post to Me tile: insert post' and have it do it for you. Granted I don't use the voice commands on my 900 but probably would if it had deep integration.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Scenario:

You choose.

Siri can search, text, call, open apps, dictate emails and text fields, make notes, create location-aware reminders, and responds to a more natural language input.

TellMe can search, text, call, open apps, and forces you to robot speak.

You choose.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
i streamed the first session of the //build/ conference and the WP project lead mentioned the ability to interact more with apps using voice. my impression was that he was talking about more than just specific commands to launch apps and transcribe words but there weren't any specific examples given.

Any third-party app can now plug in to the TellMe platform.

So yes, a Twitter app could easily implement "Tweet xxx".

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Would the app have to be open? Or be opened via TellMe?

You say the app name and then the command, and it opens the app and passes the command along to the app:

SpeechUI_wp_ss_20121028_0024-576x1024.png

(from the great Pocketnow review: Windows Phone 8 Review | Pocketnow )

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Siri can search, text, call, open apps, dictate emails and text fields, make notes, create location-aware reminders, and responds to a more natural language input.

TellMe can search, text, call, open apps, and forces you to robot speak.

You choose.

Of course Siri can do all that. For those who like voice-to-text Siri is the thing and other than location-aware reminders, I think TellMe does it all. Not in a natural way, more in command way. That may change. That may not. Not fussed yet. However, the future concepts for TellMe are promising and when MSFT has done something, they've done it better. Voice-to-text will be the same.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Of course Siri can do all that. For those who like voice-to-text Siri is the thing and other than location-aware reminders, I think TellMe does it all. Not in a natural way, more in command way. That may change. That may not. Not fussed yet. However, the future concepts for TellMe are promising and when MSFT has done something, they've done it better. Voice-to-text will be the same.

I think this is symbolic of the shift that MS is trying to make and is an area of potential growth. Most people think (or thought) of MS as being the 'cold enterprise company' and Apple as the 'hip consumer company.' MS is really putting a focus on 'people first' with Windows 8, but the voice command is still very 'cold' feeling as opposed to Siri which is more conversational.

If they do update with more 1st party access and different interface I hope it is through a small update and not a year or later.

chrgeorgeson

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
How about the most basic feature of all. "Play songs by (Artist), or Play Song (song name), etc

I can't believe that isn't coming over to WP8.
I'll still get it but..... you know. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)