Wireless Charging - Nokia and WPC (Qi) vs. AT&T and PMA

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
So, apparently there are two players in the wireless power game...the way I see it breaking down (and easiest to understand) is that Duracell is against Energizer. Now, I will say I do not understand the technical differences...if any...so if these two work together, this isn't an issue, but I understand it is a battle (ala HD-DVD vs. BluRay)

Duracell is in camp with the PMA Standard. Power Matters Alliance; Powermatters - AT&T, Google, Starbucks Back
Energizer is in a camp with the QI Standard. Wireless Power Consortium Members - Wireless Power Consortium - Wireless Power Consortium

As we all know...Nokia is including the QI Standard on their newer phones. All fine and dandy.

And then new information, AT&T has signed on with a bunch of other players on the PMA Standard, and rolling that out to starbucks and such.

BUT, we also know Nokia is in deep with AT&T too! How does this affect anything? Anyone have any answers? Something has to give on this...you can't have two people working together and both also supporting rivals.

Anyone know anything I am missing?

Last edited:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought some Nexus and Motorola phones used Qi charging. Why is Google supporting PMA?

As does Samsung and seemingly there's rumors of Qi 8X version for Verizon.

Qi is the standard you can find most of the wireless accessories at the moment and i can't see that changing before something with clear advantage comes out.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's group with the new standard, PMA, will be able to charge your phone while it's in your pocket and other really cool stuff. That charger will be able to communicate with the Device being charged and feed the right juice to it, so it can adjust itself etc, so it will charge Qi's also. Google says they are just tagging along....lol...

Very cool stuff for Fulton Innovation (CES 2012 Interview: Wirelessly Power/Charge with Fulton's eCoupled - YouTube) And they are on board with the Qi standard. But what you are saying is that the two standards are using the same underlying technical build, or at least close enough that they will be able to work together, but different enough that there still needs to be two different parties? Have anything that can back that up?

I do realize through my reading my title is backwards.

The two groups are WPC vs PMA...there is also A4WP, backed by Qualcomm.

I can't find a name for the technology that PMA uses...? WPC's standard is obviously the Qi standard, and A4WP is WiPower.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry man...I didn't explain about Fulton etc....I've been buying this stuff for a while now...lol....Fulton/ecoupled have been messing around with all this for a few years....Induction units under my granite counter tops etc...
you are able to power blenders etc or even cook on top....this Qi is new.....WPC is Qi.....A4WP is the groups name before they decided on what to call the new standard, PMA...(WPC=Qi)......(A4WP=PMA)...

Samsung joined the WPC first and Qualcomm also....Then they didn't like the limits and also Qualcomm had bought this company that invented wipower...

They were able to send electricity thru air, WiFi style.....Qualcomm has been holding on to this company.
Samsung caught their Attention because Sam is the world's largest TV manufacture since 2006 and Qualcomm makes everything and they needed a Name to get into the Market with a Familiar Name to buyers....if interested, I can send links to the story's history, kits you can buy to put wireless power in tables, chairs, automobile etc.....

OK, I was wondering about the difference between A4WP and PMA...since Qualcomm was near both...makes a lot more sense. I had read about WiPower, knew that was a company that Qualcomm had bought, and now know all those randoms I was learning about where connected.

In the video I linked, there was a demonstration of them using a blender with wireless tech...there was also a pot using the inductive heating but they built in a pot holder on the bottom so you can actually touch it every where but the inside and not get burnt, that is just genius.

But, you are saying Qi will work with WiPower? That they are basically similar principals but Qi's standard is set to something much lower / needing to be closer. Or are they completely different technologies and will not work together / "there can only be one highlander."

Charles Wang

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Found this old thread, but I guess it's clear that AT&T will force Nokia to play ball with their removal of inbuild Qi charging for 1520. I wish the USA was like the rest of the world with less dependence on carriers.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Found this old thread, but I guess it's clear that AT&T will force Nokia to play ball with their removal of inbuild Qi charging for 1520. I wish the USA was like the rest of the world with less dependence on carriers.

Agree.

This is just a case of ATT forcing Nokia to play by their rules and maybe even force them to sell the phones at way below unlocked price.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb