Data Sense and website compression.....??

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This has me wondering, in the press statement they said that they will compress sites before they go to your phone to extend your data usage. Is that done on the phone or Microsoft's servers ?

Blackberry used to do this, so you were dependant on how their servers compress the websites and if their sites are up and running. I remeber all the news reports on how their servers had issues and it was global problem. Websites did not always look good (my wife had a Blackberry storm for a while so I saw first hand) when compressed.

If this goes through Microsoft's server, does this bring up privacy issues with anyone ?

They could be watching every thing you do on your phone...not that can't do that already but, it opens more doors for them.

Any idea and what is your thoughts here ?

thejoyofsobe

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
it's not on the phone because that wouldn't save any data.

if it's ONLY on Microsoft's servers then why is it initially only Verizon that can use it? that makes me suspect that there's at big carrier component whether it be the compression is only at the carrier level or whether the carrier is responsible for distinguishing out WP8 traffic with DataSense turned on and forward to Microsoft servers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos