Thinking of jumping from iPhone 4s to Nokia Lumia 920

evrdazed

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am thinking of leaving the Apple walled gardens and venture to greener pastures. I do not have anyone around me that has a Windows phone for me to figure this out so I was hoping you guys can help me with a couple of questions.

1. Is Windows phone 8 walled in like iOS or more open like Android?
2. Let's say I download a different map app, can I choose which app to be my default app (like on android) or am I stuck with the stock map app (like iOS)
3. It is possible to install things like NES emulators?
4. Does it have a file system like android? or not, like iOS?

Thank you.

evrdazed

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I think what you are looking for, is an Android phone.

Thanks, but that's not a very helpful answer. I didn't ask for an opinion of what OS to go for. I know what Android can do, and I know what iOS can and cannot do. What I wanted to get a sense of is what Windows Phone can and cannot do. I don't want an Android phone because a) I don't like any of the current hardwares. b) I personally do not like the OS. So, no your suggestion is not very helpful.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
1. Walled garden, like iOS
2. You can't change the default, like iOS
3. There is at least 1 NES emulator in the marketplace
4. No file system access on the phone

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
1. Walled garden, like iOS
2. You can't change the default, like iOS
3. There is at least 1 NES emulator in the marketplace
4. No file system access on the phone

Doesnt WP8 have limited file system access? (documents, music, ringtones, video and images)? Just not on the phone itself...through PC sync software though i think...

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, but that's not a very helpful answer. I didn't ask for an opinion of what OS to go for. I know what Android can do, and I know what iOS can and cannot do. What I wanted to get a sense of is what Windows Phone can and cannot do. I don't want an Android phone because a) I don't like any of the current hardwares. b) I personally do not like the OS. So, no your suggestion is not very helpful.
In Vagrantwade's defense, you didn't indicate on your OP that you didn't like Android; you just said you were ready to leave Apple. You also followed some questions with "like on Android?"

Android is the OS for you based on your needs, however that puts you in a difficult spot because you don't like Android. You'll enjoy Windows Phone as long as you adjust your expectations towards what it currently delivers.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
The currently available emulators aren't very good. However, native code should greatly help developers port better ones.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but emulators sound to me like something MS reluctantly allows and they'd rather not deal with.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am thinking of leaving the Apple walled gardens and venture to greener pastures. I do not have anyone around me that has a Windows phone for me to figure this out so I was hoping you guys can help me with a couple of questions.

2. Let's say I download a different map app, can I choose which app to be my default app (like on android) or am I stuck with the stock map app (like iOS)

Thank you.

Walled, but more customizable than iOS.

The stock maps is what things will open in everytime. But Nokia has the best mapping system ever + free turn by turn navigation, so I don't think this will be an issue.

There is an emulator that I used once. I had no problems with it. I don't think there's many, though.

As far as I know there isn't a file system on the phone itself, but in WP8 they made it to where you could browse the files like a file system on your PC.

Come on in, join us :)

TaliZora

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Thank you.

Im going to be getting rid of my iP5 for an HTC 8X. There are pro's and cons to both. WP relates more to iOS than it does android. Which is a good thing in my opinion.

I won't re-answer your questions but here is my take... WP has always has the best browsing experience. Also there are more choices for phones to fit your needs.

What I like about Apple:
- There is an apple store near me if I ever have any problems.
- Apps! Hands down the best quality apps are on iPhone.

What I like about Apple and MS:
- The OS is simple.
- You don't have to worry about downloading mobile security becuase they actually control their marketplace. Where some people see an open market like android a plus I see it as a HUGE con.

What I like about MS:
- Best Browser.
- Best touch-screen keyboard.
- Best built in email app for syncing multiple accounts.
- Mobile office!
- Sky drive is in my opinion the best cloud service.
- You can sync ALL media back and fourth from the phone to PC without hassle.

graigsmith

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
i thought i just read somewhere on a lumia 920 review that said basically you can use direct usb and mount it like a drive and copy things on and off it.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
i thought i just read somewhere on a lumia 920 review that said basically you can use direct usb and mount it like a drive and copy things on and off it.

This is true. But he meant a file system ON the phone. Like a file explorer.

In Vagrantwade's defense, you didn't indicate on your OP that you didn't like Android; you just said you were ready to leave Apple. You also followed some questions with "like on Android?"

Android is the OS for you based on your needs, however that puts you in a difficult spot because you don't like Android. You'll enjoy Windows Phone as long as you adjust your expectations towards what it currently delivers.

Yea he made it pretty clear in the way he worded his questions that Android already did what he wanted.

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
well, looks like most ppl already answered ur question, just thought id still throw in my 2c

1. I see it as a middle ground between iOS and Android (hey, u can get different hardware :p )
2. as far as i know, no you can't change defaults, but i'd rather get my hands on wp8 before i say it for certain (thought i saw something about that some where...), but ya Nokia map is going to be on all wp8 devices and it is one of the best mapping solutions around, so i don't think it will be an issue
3. yes, there are a few different ones for most consoles i think, i haven't used any so... u will have to try them out to see how they are
4. USB will get you a file system for some stuff, just not everything, this is so that malware can't get into it easily (another reason why i said it's middle ground)

i think you will be delighted to use wp :]

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site

Thank you.

Make sure you check out the 8X from HTC. Much better design that the 920. Less memory, but looking like a better phone according to the people who have reviewed it. Check out Vlad's review on The Verge as to why.
"when I look at the deluge of smartphones flooding my desk, the only one I care to pick up and play with today is the Windows Phone 8X. Not the new iPhone, not the quad-core Galaxy Note... not even Nokia's Lumia 920, which is almost trying too hard with its laundry list of extras and enhancements."

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/30/3575574/this-is-my-next-windows-phone-8x

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you check out the 8X from HTC. Much better design that the 920. Less memory, but looking like a better phone according to the people who have reviewed it. Check out Vlad's review on The Verge as to why.
"when I look at the deluge of smartphones flooding my desk, the only one I care to pick up and play with today is the Windows Phone 8X. Not the new iPhone, not the quad-core Galaxy Note... not even Nokia's Lumia 920, which is almost trying too hard with its laundry list of extras and enhancements."

This is my next: the HTC Windows Phone 8X | The Verge

While I think the 8X is a beautiful phone, saying it's a much better design is really, really subjective. Personally I prefer the look of the 920 to the 8X in a number of areas (I r== don't really like the main speaker being a different color than the bezel around it) but I wouldn't say it's a much better design. They're both well designed and in the end beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.

But, to the OP, by all means you should check out the HTC 8X as well. It's also a very high quality flagship phone that's just as good as any modern smartphone in terms of hardware.

And that's why I like WP8. A quality, stable OS like Apple and hardware choices like Android's (minus the crap options like Pantech). Add in the UI that is completely unique and you have a recipe that I can't wait to get my hands on.

Wayne Crannell

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
- Sky drive is in my opinion the best cloud service.

How in the name of all that is holy could you have possibly typed that without your fingers snapping off? BEST?!?

It takes 24-36 HOURS to upload a GB of data. It is completely useless as a real time cloud service. (And yes, I have Dropbox, iCloud, Cubby, and SkyDrive)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Hey haihho, first, welcome to the forum!

Many seem to define "walled garden" simply as "unsupportive of the wild-west type openness of Android". With that definition, any OS somewhat more controlled than Android is a "walled garden", but I strongly disagree with this, IMHO, naive point of view.

I've attempted to offer a slightly more nuanced explanation of the differences than "not like Android" in this post.

Hope it helps you with your decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa