IE10 on WP8 crippled by not being based on Webkit

firstness

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have issues with web sites giving you simple/basic versions of web sites on IE10 whereas you would get a more fully featured site on iPhone or Android? I was playing around with the WP8 emulator and google sites (i.e. google search, docs, images, gmail) look terrible with no dynamic elements, just basic html, whereas on iPhone it is much better.

I have a feeling this would extend to a great many other sites, crippling the web browsing experience.

Thoughts?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it's the fault of those sites for not bothering to recognise IE as a smartphone browser. Basically, go write to Google and tell them to stop being dicks.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
This would we such a simple fix. Google is doing it on purpose, many others out of ignorance or lazyness.

mparker

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Set IE to desktop mode. This solves the problem on WP7.5 (N900 with LTE), and it should work even better on WP8 with the extra RAM and CPU horsepower.

jdandison

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
It will change as web app devs start building apps properly by checking browser capabilities vs user agents. Things like modernizr make this even easier - and responsive web design has started to pick up steam.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12